Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creepy P-10c Failure (kinda)

Creepy P-10c Failure (kinda)

"SanL" (my CZ P-10c) has been sent off, for surgery. Something about having never fired it, in its original configuration, just felt weird so I squeezed in a little range trip before I boxed it up.

Loaded up a mag, chambered a round, shot the first one and got a "click" on the second. Not what I was expecting.

Ok, giving the gun a pass on the "failure" because it was my ammo and the weapon did not go in to full battery. Also, I field stripped it and did a "thunk test". I determined the OAL is a hair over what it will eat. Keep in mind - "Deuces" (my 2.0 Compact) has eaten a ton of these..... so has my wife's Shield. STILL, I don't blame the gun, tighter tolerances, wtvr. It ran out several (accurate) mags of various factory hardball. I'm fine with it being picky with a particular load of mine. HOWEVER, what does bother me a little is - I was able to drop the striker, by pressing the trigger (hence the click), while the gun was NOT in battery. It was close enough to being in battery that it slightly dented the primer.

Stubborn guy that I am, I did it more than once. Both times, I was able to pull the trigger, on a live round, with the gun not in full battery but close enough to touch the primer.

It just seems a little weird. I'm keeping it, I still sent it off to be milled. Just stood out as abnormal.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Site Supporter
    In at least one other firearm I saw the same occurrence, but in this example the design was such that the barrel dropped down to remove the the shell out of line with the firing pin. I was never comfortable with it. I'm not convinced that this is normal for a CZ.

Both of my P10s failed to an untrustable degree in 1200 rounds each.

Which sucked becuase they shot really well for me.

Neither failed in the manner you described.

What bullet profile were you using?

I loaded a few thousand rounds using the Xtreme 124 gr. JFP (jacketed flat point) and my CZs gakked on that profile doing the plunk test. Glocks, Sigs, S&Ws have never had an issue with these bullets.

I think CZ's rifleing has less "freebore" than most brands and will be fussy with some bullet shapes.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

CZs tend to have shorter chambers. I believe my 124 gr. loads are around 1.08 OAL.

Yea, I'm fine with the shorter chamber. Accuracy was impressive. It is just a little unnerving that the striker can reach the primer while the action is not fully closed.

Round nose cast from BBI (all my casting equipment is still in FL). I'd have to go check my notes for bullet weight and OAL but I wanna say 115gr 1.09.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by JATA View Post
    Yea, I'm fine with the shorter chamber. Accuracy was impressive. It is just a little unnerving that the striker can reach the primer while the action is not fully closed.

Round nose cast from BBI (all my casting equipment is still in FL). I'd have to go check my notes for bullet weight and OAL but I wanna say 115gr 1.09.
    If it's failing to chamber 1.09 COAL, that's pretty bad.
    #RESIST

What's the actual length of one of the rounds that didn't fire? Instead of going from your notes, can you take a measurement?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTPHD View Post
    CZs tend to have shorter chambers. I believe my 124 gr. loads are around 1.08 OAL.
    Actually, the chambers aren't shorter, the rifling has less freebore. Not an apples-to-apples comparison, but my CZ-75s have always been 100% with factory and handloaded hardball and JHP. I'm currently running 124-grain FMJRN loaded to 1.14".

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    What's the actual length of one of the rounds that didn't fire? Instead of going from your notes, can you take a measurement?

I can throw a caliper on one from the same batch, tonigh, but not the exact two rounds that didn't chamber. Those are gone.

User Tag List