Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: H.R. 6105 - LEOSA Reform Act

I'm also not too surprised based on our earlier discussions about how common carriers included commercial aircraft. I really hope this passes in its current form without being gutted.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Even with Common Carriers removed, this bill would do a lot to remove some of the awful carve-outs from LEOSA.

Can one of you North Carolina members advise me as to where I may be able to LEOSA qualify in the Asheville area. PM is fine if you don’t want to post specific info on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
    Can one of you North Carolina members advise me as to where I may be able to LEOSA qualify in the Asheville area. PM is fine if you don’t want to post specific info on the board.
    Paging Mr. @blues

@Newbie

Who's this for Newb? You movin' outta Texas? (I mean we do have plenty of Mexican food locally and all...)
    Last edited by blues; 09-23-2018 at 08:08 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    blues, it’s Newbie vs TheNewbie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    blues, it’s Newbie vs TheNewbie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ah, thanks for that. My brain isn't operating on all cylinders before that first cuppa Joe.

@Newbie...I'd contact the Buncombe County Sheriff's Office and inquire with them as a starting point. The completed paperwork, following qualification, has to be notarized and sent to Raleigh for issuance of a card from the DOJ which certifies that the individual qualified, the date the qualification is good until, and the firearms qualified with.

See the following link for further information.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Ah, thanks for that. My brain isn't operating on all cylinders before that first cuppa Joe.

@Newbie...I'd contact the Buncombe County Sheriff's Office and inquire with them as a starting point. The completed paperwork, following qualification, has to be notarized and sent to Raleigh for issuance of a card from the DOJ which certifies that the individual qualified, the date the qualification is good until, and the firearms qualified with.

See the following link for further information.
    Zaplosky retired. New guy named Derek Smith is handling retired credentials now...he should have a list of local firearms instructors who may be able to help you. Find him at this link:

https://www.ncdoj.gov/About-DOJ/Law-...s/Contact.aspx
    Last edited by KeeFus; 09-23-2018 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Zaplosky retired. New guy named Derek Smith is handling retired credentials now...he should have a list of local firearms instructors who may be able to help you. Find him at this link:

https://www.ncdoj.gov/About-DOJ/Law-...s/Contact.aspx
    I was wondering when they'd remove Ed's name from the web page. I was assisted by a deputy director named Schilling when I qualified in July. She was quite helpful in straightening out an error as well.
    Last edited by blues; 09-23-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I tried emailing Zaplosky but the email was returned. Makes sense now that you mentioned he retired.

Someone told me that Buncombe County Sheriff’s Office will not qualify retired personnel, but I will call to find out for sure.

Can you explain to me, or offer your opinions as to why the F-9R qualification form needs to be sent to the state. The federal law is clear that the retiree merely needs to have proper retired ID, along with:

“(B) a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides or by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State that indicates that the individual has, not less than 1 year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State or a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State to have met—
    (I) the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training, as established by the State, to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or
    (II) if the State has not established such standards, standards set by any law enforcement agency within that State to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.” (18 USC 926C)

My point is that a qualified firearms instructor will certify page two of the form in accordance with B, above, and as long as the retiree carries the signed F-9R along with retired ID, he or she should be in compliance with the law. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Newbie; 09-23-2018 at 04:56 PM.

User Tag List