Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: H.R. 6105 - LEOSA Reform Act

Quote Originally Posted by tcba_joe View Post
    I really wish USCG CG-MLE would stop purposefully dragging it's feet. They've admitted on several occasions that we (certified boarding officers) are Fed LE and are eligible for LEOSA. But they have been pushing the timeline for implementation back consistently. Because we need a specific ID card, they get around not backing LEOSA by not issuing ID cards.
    That is hella dumb, especially when you consider that Active/Guard/Reserve military police across all the other branches are eligible for LEOSA.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    That is hella dumb, especially when you consider that Active/Guard/Reserve military police across all the other branches are eligible for LEOSA.
    Exactly. CGIS (USCG investigative service) and CGPD (Post-certified base LEOs) are badged and covered. However, the USCG seems to imagine that LE is a secondary duty for all their BOs and treats us like we're an inconvenient reality. Not treating their BOs as LE turns into a spiral of people not taking it seriously which as time goes by they turn into leaders who don't take it seriously.

I know in the past there have been a few notable cases of CG BOs acting like clowns and taking their status to the most extreme. But instead of giving us better training and hammering the idiots they make the regs tighter on the rest of us.

Exactly. CGIS (USCG investigative service) and CGPD (Post-certified base LEOs) are badged and covered. However, the USCG seems to imagine that LE is a secondary duty for all their BOs and treats us like we're an inconvenient reality. Not treating their BOs as LE turns into a spiral of people not taking it seriously which as time goes by they turn into leaders who don't take it seriously.

I know in the past there have been a few notable cases of CG BOs acting like clowns and taking their status to the most extreme. But instead of giving us better training and hammering the idiots they make the regs tighter on the rest of us.
    Coast Guard Boarding Officers are covered. If what you say is true USCG needs to unplug its head from its ass. While I hate to use Wiki as a reference...

“A number of other courts have held that Coast Guard boarding officers are qualified under LEOSA. In People against Benjamin L. Booth, Jr., Indictment No. 2007-940 (2007), a county court in Orange County, New York, dismissed a criminal charge against Booth, an off-duty member of the Coast Guard, who had been arrested for carrying a loaded handgun in a vehicle. The court held that Booth was authorized to carry a firearm while acting as a Coast Guard boarding officer, adding, "Although the proof at the hearing indicates that the defendant engaged in a violation of rules, regulations and policies of the United States Coast Guard by possessing a handgun for which he had no license, these violations do not act to lessen the scope of LEOSA as it is applied in this instance."

Another Coast Guardsman, Reserve Petty Officer Jose Diaz, was arrested for carrying an unloaded handgun in a vehicle in San Fernando, California, in November 2007, but the charge was later dismissed and Diaz won a $44,000 settlement from the city for false arrest. The Coast Guard has issued a formal directive to advise Coast Guard personnel of which Coast Guard personnel are considered to be covered by LEOSA, and the limitations of such coverage.[23]The first known criminal prosecution against an individual asserting concealed carry privileges under LEOSA occurred in New York in People v. Rodriguez, Indictment No. 2917 (2006).[22] Rodriguez was a full-time construction worker who was also employed as a Pennsylvania State Constable. He was arrested in New York City for criminal possession of a weapon. He testified in a hearing that he was authorized, qualified, and certified to carry a weapon in his state as a constable. The Court took judicial notice of the various Pennsylvania statutes that authorize constables to carry firearms, make arrests, serve process, and enforce the law. Upon applying LEOSA in terms of the known facts, the Court dismissed the charge against Rodriguez and held that he was covered by section 926B though constables are elected law enforcement officers and they lack government funding.[22]”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_...ers_Safety_Act

Exactly. CGIS (USCG investigative service) and CGPD (Post-certified base LEOs) are badged and covered.
    Are the latter employed with statutory arrest authority, or Commander-derived apprehension authority like most DoD base police?

If the latter, that's a real burn given BOs have statutory authorities...
    Last edited by TGS; 07-09-2018 at 06:54 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I'll claim ignorance on the authority of CGPD.

As for the wiki article above, we all know about those incidents. CG-MLE is dragging its feet on the ID card issue that came about due to the most recent change. Basically, the BOs have no ID showing they're armed LE. All we have are CACs, which even civilian employees and non-LE personnel have.

When a BO transfers units, they don't bring their LE cert with them. Their new unit has to issue them a letter,and depending on the unit there may be increased standards to get that qual (like a small boat station BO transfering to a TACLET).

Dragging their feet on a simple ID card issue is par for the course. When I went through BO school we were told "its done and waiting for a signature". Then we got a new commandant and bam the date moved to the right.

But I'm a lowly JG...

Site Supporter
    If you want to see how much LEOSA can be castrated check out NJ requirements for carry there..... what a clusterf k...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Dragging their feet on a simple ID card issue is par for the course. When I went through BO school we were told "its done and waiting for a signature". Then we got a new commandant and bam the date moved to the right.

But I'm a lowly JG...
    Homeland Security (DHS and its agencies) also has a less than stellar policy in regard to supporting LEOSA.

They may or may not issue an ID card for former agents, including those "legacy" agents from agencies which were merged and put under the DHS umbrella. It depends on how much bother it would put them through. (So, those poor souls who didn't request their "Retired" credentials upon separation can find themselves in a jackpot. Fortunately, I have mine.)

In no case will the department or its agencies be involved in qualifying their former agents. No way, no how.

I feel very fortunate to be able to contact the captain of my local sheriff's office by email or phone and arrange a date to qualify at a moment's notice.
    (Plus they have invited me to shoot with them even when I don't required a qualification score to submit to the DOJ for my annual certification card.)

It's definitely a mixed bag, but it's what we've got and I'm happy to have it. Hopefully it can and will be better in the future.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    It should be in the fall, usually in October or late November. I go every year, even if its on my own dime. Worth it for the commision updates that you may otherwise not get
    I noticed on T&S webpage that the guy that was handling the Retired/218 stuff is not there anymore and the position is listed as vacant...

Maybe one of you retired dudes can get up in there and change it...?

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    I noticed on T&S webpage that the guy that was handling the Retired/218 stuff is not there anymore and the position is listed as vacant...

Maybe one of you retired dudes can get up in there and change it...?
    Is that the guy, Ed Z.? I bet it is because I tried to send him an email after I qualified yesterday and the email bounced back to me. (Yet his name and email is still listed on the DOJ site as the go-to.)

I wonder how long it will take to get the new certification card now... (He usually had mine back to me in a week.)

I think I'll stay here in western NC, thank you very much.
    Last edited by blues; 07-12-2018 at 01:21 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    In no case will the department or its agencies be involved in qualifying their former agents. No way, no how.
    My agency is the same. Absolutely verbotten for me to "qualify" retired agents under any circumstances...

User Tag List