Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: H.R. 6105 - LEOSA Reform Act

CWM11B
    The requirement for retirees to complete the entire inservice training program, to include an additional two hours of CCH permit type training. IMO, which I have expressed (to deaf ears), when combining the two to a retiree who, most likely, was the typical average training averse cop, there is a very real risk of a retiree out of the game for a while confusing the two and playing by 15A-401 (d)(2) when they have zero authority to do so. I am also of the opinion that there should be an OD/Retiree COF that is more reflective of reality and the spirit of the law. Requiring otherwise capable, but ageing and perhaps limited mobility/range of motion folks to go prone at twenty five yards with the typically carried compacts is not practical or relevant. Additionally, the burden of training and record keeping can be a real pain in the ass for the retiree's former agency. I did not have the time or resources to do it when I worked our range.

The attitude among some on the commision and in training and standards is "Get a CCH" which is fine as long as you remain in NC , since you are covered by 14-269, but leaving the state you are screwed if traveling to a place where there is no reciprocity. That got real dicey briefly when VA revoked the agreement a while back. As long as you are still sworn, it isnt a big deal. This question has been raised at pretty much every FI conference since LEOSA passed, and the answer from some has been borderline condescending.
    Last edited by CWM11B; 06-26-2018 at 07:15 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Man, I hope this passes. NC has the most pain in the ass LEOSA requirements I've heard of anywhere. Curious as to how a national standard will be agreed to, given the territorial nature of many jurisdictions. Also want to see the mag capacity/hollowpoint deal go away. I have a general rule about leaving the sotheast, and lately north of Richmond is to much for me, but the wife has family and friends in occupied territory and is wanting to go visit. No way in hell Im treking up 95 without anything.
    I feel your pain. My son lives in Baltimore and just moved out of downtown into Baltimore County. Been making trips on the weekend bringing up the last of his stuff from home and helping him there. My usual iron for those trips is either a G27 belt holstered or a 442 in the pocket. Glad he is out of bat shit crazy DA Marilyn Mosby's jurisdiction.
    Whenever I retire, my LEOSA traveling guns will most likely be revolvers unless the law is amended. Don't want the hassles....
    Last edited by deputyG23; 06-26-2018 at 07:21 AM.

The requirement for retirees to complete the entire inservice training program, to include an additional two hours of CCH permit type training. IMO, which I have expressed (to deaf ears), when combining the two to a retiree who, most likely, was the typical average training averse cop, there is a very real risk of a retiree out of the game for a while confusing the two and playing by 15A-401 (d)(2) when they have zero authority to do so. I am also of the opinion that there should be an OD/Retiree COF that is more reflective of reality and the spirit of the law. Requiring otherwise capable, but ageing and perhaps limited mobility/range of motion folks to go prone at twenty five yards with the typically carried compacts is not practical or relevant. Additionally, the burden of training and record keeping can be a real pain in the ass for the retiree's former agency. I did not have the time or resources to do it when I worked our range.

The attitude among some on the commision and in training and standards is "Get a CCH" which is fine as long as you remain in NC , since you are covered by 14-269, but leaving the state you are screwed if traveling to a place where there is no reciprocity. That got real dicey briefly when VA revoked the agreement a while back. As long as you are still sworn, it isnt a big deal. This question has been raised at pretty much every FI conference since LEOSA passed, and the answer from some has been borderline condescending.
    Ok, I'm tracking now and agree 100%. The retiree requirements are a bit of a PITA. Isn't there a FI conference coming up this year? I was in Salemburg last month and I think I heard something about one.

CWM11B
    It should be in the fall, usually in October or late November. I go every year, even if its on my own dime. Worth it for the commision updates that you may otherwise not get

It hasn't been a problem for me, at least not so far, here in western NC.

Every July I contact the sheriff's dept and agree on a date to meet the captain (and possibly some of the deputies) at the range. Run the 30 round daytime, followed by simulated night course for each of the guns I normally bring.

Bring the proof of qualification to the sheriff's office for notarization and then mail it off with a postal money order to Raleigh. One week later I have my certification card.

I hope the "new and improved" plan won't screw things up. But of course, it probably will. Sigh.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Bring the proof of qualification to the sheriff's office for notarization and then mail it off with a postal money order to Raleigh. One week later I have my certification card.
    Is the proof of qualification a standardized form from the state?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

It should be in the fall, usually in October or late November. I go every year, even if its on my own dime. Worth it for the commision updates that you may otherwise not get
    Some Commission rules for in-svc firearms have already changed...We got word about a month ago.

I'm only about 20 minutes away from T&S...I'm thinking I need to start attending the quarterly Commission meetings. Looks like the next one is in August.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 06-26-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Is the proof of qualification a standardized form from the state?
    Yes. I either get one from the captain or I print one from the NC DOJ website before I go to qualify. Either way, it's the same document.

Send it in with payment and usually a document or two verifying my retired LEO status. (Which they "should" have on file but I send just in case.)
    Last edited by blues; 06-26-2018 at 10:04 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Not an LEO but a (newly) retired paramedic and reserve police, And I agree with this as it is a good bill to cover the gaps. I never saw the inane reasoning of restricting LEOs from ammo/magazine that on duty locals can utilize.

I really wish USCG CG-MLE would stop purposefully dragging it's feet. They've admitted on several occasions that we (certified boarding officers) are Fed LE and are eligible for LEOSA. But they have been pushing the timeline for implementation back consistently. Because we need a specific ID card, they get around not backing LEOSA by not issuing ID cards.

User Tag List