Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Columbia, MO; St Louis, MO

RFI: Columbia, MO; St Louis, MO

Have to be in Columbia for a single day event in August. If I’m going to fly out for a day, I may as well tack on another, and go see something I haven’t seen before. So, a couple of questions for folks that would know: one, fly direct to Columbia, or fly into St Louis and drive? Also, fun things to see/do/eat in either city? I like history and pretty much the same dude stuff as many here; wife likes art, museums, interesting houses... we both like good places to eat with outdoor dining. Traveling slick, so a tour of Ferguson’s historical spots is probably off the table.

Thanks in advance for any input.

In St. Louis, Forest Park has a decent amount of stuff to do, including an art museum which I believe is free. There may be events during the summer so I'd check it out on their website if they have one. The botanical gardens, City Museum (more like an adult-sized playground) and basilica weren't bad either, and obviously there is also the Arch. In terms of food, I liked Pappy's for their BBQ and Taste for their cocktails (their food wasn't bad either). There may be some music/concerts near Delmar Loop or at the Fox Theatre.

Haven't been in several years though, so will be interesting to see what others suggest...
    Last edited by scw2; 06-20-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The museum under the Arch has just been re-done; I don’t know anybody who’s been in it since it reopened.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    In St Louis: the arch and the museum under it; at Forest Park (site of the 1904 World's Fair) is a world class zoo, MO history museum, art museum. Nearby- the Botanical Garden (near the Botanical Garden are tons of excellent ethnic restaurants, and near there is the Italian section of town- called the Hill neighborhood if you like fine Italian food. August in St Louis is very sticky! Some would find the tour of Anheuser-Busch brewery very enjoyable also. Easy to spend an enjoyable day. Cheers!

Cahokia.

Site Supporter
    I recommend East St Louis.

RFI: Columbia, MO; St Louis, MO

The Gateway Arch is really really cool. I don’t know why but the whole thing, from the museum to the ‘capsules’ you get crammed into for the ride up to the viewing platform just really appealed to me for some reason.

Trivia for baseball fans: Ricky Horton, the St Louis Cardinal pitcher who relieved Joaquin Andujar in game 3 of the ‘85 World Series was in the same hallway in my college dorm in 1977. He went on to earn a Degree in Systems Engineering (I was a EE) at the Univ of Virginia before signing up for Major League Baseball.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-20-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    The Gateway Arch is really really cool. I don’t know why but the whole thing, from the museum to the ‘capsules’ you get crammed into for the ride up to the viewing platform just really appealed to me for some reason.
    I agree 100% There's something really special about it.

Columbia is also a short drive from KC (it’s the midpoint). The green valley rifle and pistol club in Columbia is where the bianchi cup is held, and would be worth calling. The Midwest tactical shotgun festival is held there in August though I don’t know if it’s on this year. Booches Billiard Hall has a damn fine burger.

Busch Stadium is a great place to see a game; so is Kaufman. Were I in your shoes I would decide based on who was playing.
    Ignore Alien Orders

if you are in St.Louis and want to have a drink pm me, we can find somewhere and bs

User Tag List