Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I’m not just an M&P guy...I’m a S&W guy!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by elsquid View Post
    Smith had a number of alloy carry guns in a bunch of calibers not too long ago: the Nightguards(TM).

http://www.gunblast.com/SW-Nightguards.htm

Attachment 27355

S&W's new Nightguard revolvers. Top L-R: 329NG, 396NG; center L-R: 325NG, 327NG; bottom L-R: 386NG, 315NG.

The Model 315NG is a six-shot .38 Special built on the K frame. The 386NG is a seven-shot .357 Magnum built on the slightly larger L frame. The 327NG is an eight-shot .357 Magnum built on the large N frame. The 325NG is a six-shot .45 ACP built on the N frame. The 396NG is a five-shot .44 Special built on the L frame, and the 329NG is a six-shot .44 Magnum built on the N frame.

I don't think that they sold very well, so that was that.

I bought one of the 325s in 45ACP. Just had to have one, haven't shot it in years...

-- Michael
    True, they made them. But did they market them? I never heard of them till after their very brief production was over and prices on the rise. Did stores carry them? I’ve never seen one in person. But I think I’d like to.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    This one really is, though! I had a moment of stupidity that would have been tragic when I thought about selling my 13-3 3”. Then I actually pulled it out and shot it again. Nope, nope, nope. That gun is a need.
    Plus 1000 ! About 6 years ago I found a nice 3" 13 in my LGS. Not knowing what I had found I thought about it for a week and went back. It was still there and it is still mine. What a great shooter it is !

Site Supporter
    I have a 396ng and had a 329ng, 327pc and 386. They were all good guns but they are still larger than the k frame. The 315ng which is what a number of use are asking for was the least produced night guard and I think the low production numbers is biggest mistake S&W made in the night guard run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Smith had a number of alloy carry guns in a bunch of calibers not too long ago: the Nightguards(TM).

S&W's new Nightguard revolvers. Top L-R: 329NG, 396NG; center L-R: 325NG, 327NG; bottom L-R: 386NG, 315NG.

The Model 315NG is a six-shot .38 Special built on the K frame. The 386NG is a seven-shot .357 Magnum built on the slightly larger L frame. The 327NG is an eight-shot .357 Magnum built on the large N frame. The 325NG is a six-shot .45 ACP built on the N frame. The 396NG is a five-shot .44 Special built on the L frame, and the 329NG is a six-shot .44 Magnum built on the N frame.
    [/CENTER]

I bought one of the 325s in 45ACP. Just had to have one, haven't shot it in years...

-- Michael
    You have to remember when they launched them: 2008. It was the middle of the biggest economic meltdown in decades. Nobody was throwing spare cash around, even if they had it. These were fairly expensive guns.

The 315NG in particular was the only one with a steel cylinder. The 386NG was actually several ounces lighter and held an additional round, so it logically would have been more popular with people who bought by spec tables.

It was a good idea at a horrible time. And they really should have tooled the Ti cylinder for the 315.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    All the night guards had steel cylinders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There was an episode of The Simpsons where Homer's long lost uncle that owed a car company let him design a car to his specifications. As soon as it was built it went to the crusher.

Me, OTOH, think it is perfectly logical to want the stuff I want, there must be dozens of other people that want the same thing!!!

For example, I still want a 3"360:
    Name:  MMcWants.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  17.9 KB
    only I want it to be a PD, and while I am at it, I want it to be shrouded like my 638. Just got the 360PD 2" as a compromise, also have a 3" SP-101.

But yeah, a M-12, with a nice smooth K-frame action and a titanium cylinder (remember the first M-12s had an ALUMINUM cylinder...) with simple (pinned) fixed sights would be awesome. And a 3" version would be great, and since if they would it these days a two piece barrel would be expected so it might as well be an aluminum shroud.

One of Homer's specifications was that all eleven of the cupholders had to be able to hold a Big Gulp...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 06-23-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    There was an episode of The Simpsons where Homer's long lost uncle that owed a car company let him design a car to his specifications. As soon as it was built it went to the crusher.

Me, OTOH, think it is perfectly logical to want the stuff I want, there must be dozens of other people that want the same thing!!!

For example, I still want a 3"360:
    Name:  MMcWants.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  17.9 KB
    only I want it to be a PD, and while I am at it, I want it to be shrouded like my 638. Just got the 360PD 2" as a compromise, also have a 3" SP-101.

But yeah, a M-12, with a nice smooth K-frame action and a titanium cylinder (remember the first M-12s had an ALUMINUM cylinder...) with simple (pinned) fixed sights would be awesome. And a 3" version would be great, and since if they would it these days a two piece barrel would be expected so it might as well be an aluminum shroud.

One of Homer's specifications was that all eleven of the cupholders had to be able to hold a Big Gulp...
    I 2nd that! 3" barrel and no lock would be nice but I'm not holding my breath....

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    All the night guards had steel cylinders.
    You're right. I must have gotten something mixed up with 386 PD specs somewhere.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Attachment 27355

-- Michael
    If I ever find a 315 for a reasonable price I’ll buy it in a heartbeat.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Name:  8E5E4FC8-2AD8-48EA-9B62-7343302E1774.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  65.2 KB
    I am a old school M&P descendants guy..
    Tyler T grip family pic:
    M64-1
    M65-3
    M10-5

User Tag List