Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I’m not just an M&P guy...I’m a S&W guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    About 19oz, empty. Several of us have said that the tine is right for a modern 12 reissue with a 2.5" to 3" tube, decent front sight, modern metallurgy (eg scandium) and no lock. Make it DAO like the night cobra, and I’d pay Dan Wesson vigil money for one.
    S&W did it back in the late 1990s. It was the M242, basically a L-frame Centennial (internal hammer; DAO only) with a 2.5-inch barrel, titanium alloy cylinder, stainless barrel, and Al/Sc frame. Front sight was a pinned ramp, so sight options were available. Weighed about 19 ounces. It was a box office dud.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    This one really is, though! I had a moment of stupidity that would have been tragic when I thought about selling my 13-3 3”. Then I actually pulled it out and shot it again. Nope, nope, nope. That gun is a need.
    I have a Model 13, blue, round butt, heavy barrel. Great revolver!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    S&W did it back in the late 1990s. It was the M242, basically a L-frame Centennial (internal hammer; DAO only) with a 2.5-inch barrel, titanium alloy cylinder, stainless barrel, and Al/Sc frame. Front sight was a pinned ramp, so sight options were available. Weighed about 19 ounces. It was a box office dud.
    Timing is everything. That was not the right time. Before the wondernine revolution, that gun would have been seen as amazing. To market it successfully now or in the future, they will have to make it at a time enough people want it, for nostalgia or whatever, and drum up desire for it.

Timing.

Don’t get target grips. There are options that make the N frame seem only slightly larger in the grip than a K frame.

Attachment 27300
    Like what? My 28 feels ginormous. And I’m not a small handed fellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Well, if I ever do get stupider and decide to sell it, or finances get such that I have to liquidate everything nice I have, I’ll shoot you a message about it first.
    please do!! that said, I'm hoping you just hold on to it
    Last edited by Nephrology; 06-21-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Timing is everything. That was not the right time. Before the wondernine revolution, that gun would have been seen as amazing. To market it successfully now or in the future, they will have to make it at a time enough people want it, for nostalgia or whatever, and drum up desire for it.

Timing.
    I thought the timing was pretty good as new "wondernines" were limited to ten rounds when the M242 hit the market, and the M242 held seven rounds in a light, easy to carry package. I believe the real issue was that the M242 did not look like the M12 and was expensive, and cosmetics and cost expectations killed it.

242s were and are "butt ugly". 7 rounds of 38 in the heyday of the 357 just didn't cut it. The light metals were unproven and expensive. Never caught the gun buying public's attention.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Ugly is right. The hammer enclosure should have looked more like a Centennial J-frame. And the cream-colored anodizing kinda makes you think of Rodney Dangerfield in a light blue suit with ruffles and white shoes. Just sayin'.

(Of course, on a 3953, it's totally cool...)
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The 242 was a 7-shot L-frame. An L-frame. Who TF, besides Clint Smith, wants to pocket an L-frame? I’ve seen the 242 (and the .44 296) in person, and the problem was the size. That’s why they flopped; they’re like a Porsche 911 with a lift kit and off-road tires: somebody is going to dig it, but not a lot of somebodies.

Although, IIRC, @Tamara owned one. The lumpy centennial 7-shot, not the 911—although anything is possible.

Lots of people carried the model 12. Totally different size, application, and beast IMO.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 06-21-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Like what? My 28 feels ginormous. And I’m not a small handed fellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, they are bigger. There’s no getting around that. My daughter can run a round butt K frame double action, but has an easier time with a J. She can only shoot an N in single action.

But an N with coke bottle targets *is* ginormous. Mine came with Altamont Bataleurs. They are *way* better than anything I’ve tried on an N frame before: they are narrow enough that I can efficiently reach the DA trigger while having a proper grip on the gun. That said, the finger grooves are huge for my fingers, and the grip is much longer than it needs to be for me. I expect I’m either going to carefully mod this set, or get another set to play with. Eventually, it will probably wear no finger grooves, smooth wood, and be about the length of the frame. I’ve been shopping and seen others that are closer.

I do like these, though. Like I said, I can run this gun with them, as is, which I could not do with any N frame grip I’ve tried before. Bet Dagga Boy has a bunch of different grips that change the feel of an N frame.

User Tag List