Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: I’m not just an M&P guy...I’m a S&W guy!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Sorry to hear that, Donnie. You might be able to find an I-frame .32 on the used market.

Those are *tiny*. I got to fumble around with a couple of them, but each time, they’ve been purchased before I had a chance at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    The 242 was a 7-shot L-frame. An L-frame. Who TF, besides Clint Smith, wants to pocket an L-frame? I’ve seen the 242 (and the .44 296) in person, and the problem was the size. That’s why they flopped; they’re like a Porsche 911 with a lift kit and off-road tires: somebody is going to dig it, but not a lot of somebodies.

Although, IIRC, @Tamara owned one. The lumpy centennial 7-shot, not the 911—although anything is possible.

Lots of people carried the model 12. Totally different size, application, and beast IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 242 was a 7-shot L-frame. An L-frame. Who TF, besides Clint Smith, wants to pocket an L-frame? ....
    This, I owned both the 242 and 296. Purchased them new when CDNN did the inventory closeout for S&W. I liked them as shooters, but sold them when the used gun prices for each got to almost 2X what I originally paid for them.

They were like trying to conceal a box of Wheaties. I want the Scandium model 12-5 round butt with a 2.5 or 3" barrel very badly.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The 242 was a 7-shot L-frame. An L-frame. Who TF, besides Clint Smith, wants to pocket an L-frame? I’ve seen the 242 (and the .44 296) in person, and the problem was the size. That’s why they flopped; they’re like a Porsche 911 with a lift kit and off-road tires: somebody is going to dig it, but not a lot of somebodies.

Although, IIRC, @Tamara owned one. The lumpy centennial 7-shot, not the 911—although anything is possible.

Lots of people carried the model 12. Totally different size, application, and beast IMO.
    Just a guess, but Tam would probably rock this, too.

Name:  porsche_911_sc_safari-1024x723.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  58.0 KB

(Source: https://www.6speedonline.com/article...era-crossover/ )

Seriously, the fact that there have been only 576 (if I remember that right) scandium K-frames made is a travesty. S&W is wandering in the wilderness in so many ways.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Dammit, now I have to take back everything I said about that humpback L-frame.

Done in by my own stupid simile; I would *absolutely* drive this if I could:

One finger pointing at lovers of retarded scandium L-frames; 3 fingers pointing back at me.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Seriously, the fact that there have been only 576 (if I remember that right) scandium K-frames made is a travesty. S&W is wandering in the wilderness in so many ways.
    Absolutely. I think revolvers are largely an afterthought for S&W these days, unfortunately.

Site Supporter
    These guns flowed through my hands like water for many years. They had no collector value then. Many were assigning them the equivalent of fudd status. I still have three round butt K frames, the most unusual being a 9mm version made to extract without moon clips. I continue to enjoy carrying my like new M-66 2 1/2 inch .357 which is super smooth and super accurate. Now I relegate it to field and stream and not any other use.

Site Supporter
    Smith & Wesson must think; “you want a small light revolver, take a look at our large j frame collection. Oh, you want more than five rounds, take a look at our 327pc.” What S&W is ignoring is the alloy k frame is the best compromise of size, weight and it has six rounds.

Those of us wanting a modern,midsize alloy frame, six shooter in 35 bore (our Goldilocks revolver) are left wanting.

Meanwhile, over at Colt, the hope is they’s workin on an alloy version of the new cobra, which would be just right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

About 19oz, empty. Several of us have said that the tine is right for a modern 12 reissue with a 2.5" to 3" tube, decent front sight, modern metallurgy (eg scandium) and no lock. Make it DAO like the night cobra, and I’d pay Dan Wesson vigil money for one.
    Fingers crossed for this. Until then, shhhh! Model 12s are hard enough to find already without talking them up.....

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    Smith & Wesson must think; “you want a small light revolver, take a look at our large j frame collection. Oh, you want more than five rounds, take a look at our 327pc.” What S&W is ignoring is the alloy k frame is the best compromise of size, weight and it has six rounds.

Those of us wanting a modern,midsize alloy frame, six shooter in 35 bore (our Goldilocks revolver) are left wanting.
    Smith had a number of alloy carry guns in a bunch of calibers not too long ago: the Nightguards(TM).

http://www.gunblast.com/SW-Nightguards.htm

Name:  DSC04449.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  46.6 KB

S&W's new Nightguard revolvers. Top L-R: 329NG, 396NG; center L-R: 325NG, 327NG; bottom L-R: 386NG, 315NG.

The Model 315NG is a six-shot .38 Special built on the K frame. The 386NG is a seven-shot .357 Magnum built on the slightly larger L frame. The 327NG is an eight-shot .357 Magnum built on the large N frame. The 325NG is a six-shot .45 ACP built on the N frame. The 396NG is a five-shot .44 Special built on the L frame, and the 329NG is a six-shot .44 Magnum built on the N frame.

I don't think that they sold very well, so that was that.

I bought one of the 325s in 45ACP. Just had to have one, haven't shot it in years...

-- Michael

User Tag List