Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Broke some M9's today...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0Nightrain4 View Post
    You would never get promoted with that type of common sense...
    But yes it would make sense. The guns have some sort of maintenance schedule although what it entails and how often that is done i dont know.
    I always thought this attitude was weird. They’ll PMCS every vehicle, but not the guns?

You would never get promoted with that type of common sense...
    But yes it would make sense. The guns have some sort of maintenance schedule although what it entails and how often that is done i dont know.
    Our big concern was to get every drop of oil off the pistols because oil would look dirty and the very most important thing about small arms is for them to look immaculate for the IG inspection. Immaculate small arms; vehicles that look like they never go to the field, rocks painted white, and men who are always up-to-date on all their required briefings are, of course, the infallible signs of a truly elite unit.

I couldn't get a recoil spring replaced on an M9 to save my life.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by K.Hungus View Post
    I couldn't get a recoil spring replaced on an M9 to save my life.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    That's the trouble, of course. A service member might indeed need a working M9 to save his or her life.

Just looked more closely at the 20 M9s we used yesterday. About half had the early locking block, the rest were a mix of the 2nd and 3rd gen blocks. Found a slide lock spring installed backwards too..

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    No huge surprise, replace the locking block with the current one from BUSA (but have it gunsmith fitted), and the trigger return spring with a Wilson Combat chrome silicon one would be my two recommendations. Might want to concurrently replace the trigger bar spring and slide lock spring. Best, Jon
    I've read 2 different approaches to the replacement of the locking block. One says to simply drop it in since the latest version does not require fitting and the other is fitting the locking block to the slide. How do you fit it to the slide?

Sounds like these parts held up quite well on the older guns.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 06-19-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I've read 2 different approaches to the replacement of the locking block. One says to simply drop it in since the latest version does not require fitting and the other is fitting the locking block to the slide. How do you fit it to the slide?

I've replaced a few and broken one... I just dropped the replacements in. (mainly because I dunno how to fit it... )
    Ernest knows - maybe he'll do a class one day?

Regarding spring life - I'd change all the springs on match gun (needed or not) once every 6 months. The locking block yearly.

Reminds me that I need to change my carry gun's springs about now...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post

The Gen 3 LB is the way to go.

However, the OP stated these are .mil guns. Beretta has asked to substitute the Gen 3 locking block for the Gen 1 on the M9 contracts and the DOD has refused. In fact, the OP’s guns will likely get aftermarket locking blocks from an unnamed 3rd party vendor.

They get a good 3000 rounds a year with a boat load of dry fire as well. We usually have one go down every month due to the block or a spring.
    And let me guess, the “book” says you should only replace the recoil spring when it’s shorter than 5 inches, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I always thought this attitude was weird. They’ll PMCS every vehicle, but not the guns?
    In the USAF we have to do two inspections per year of all our in-service guns. For the M9 what that means is a field strip and function check. As I said just above this, the book, which we share with the Army, states that the recoil spring should only be replaced when it’s shorter than 5 inches.

The stock recoil spring is 6 inches long. Do you know how many compression cycles it would take to shrink an RSA by an entire fuckin’ inch? It’s like eleventy billion or some imaginary number, and certainly more than 3,000-5,000 which is when those springs should be changed. So imagine my surprise last month when I had three fuckin’ cracked locking blocks on guns that are in regular use for training guns but hadn’t had a spring change since like 2015.

Edit: We also test trigger pull weights and do a general inspection for BMWCLS on small parts
    Last edited by jetfire; 06-19-2018 at 01:31 PM.

User Tag List