Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broke some M9's today...

Broke some M9's today...

Took the students to the range today for qualification and some conceal carry and desk shooting. Broke a early model locking block with one and a trigger spring on another. We keep this up and these old guns should all have some nice new parts soon.

No huge surprise, replace the locking block with the current one from BUSA (but have it gunsmith fitted), and the trigger return spring with a Wilson Combat chrome silicon one would be my two recommendations. Might want to concurrently replace the trigger bar spring and slide lock spring. Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-18-2018 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    No huge surprise, replace the locking block with the current one from BUSA (but have it gunsmith fitted), and the trigger return spring with a Wilson Combat chrome silicon one would be my two recommendations. Might want to concurrently replace the trigger bar spring and slide lock spring. Best, Jon
    Yeah that would be the way to go. But im pretty sure I know how the armorers are going to fix them...

Site Supporter
    You mentioned students, are these .MIL guns or LE agency / academy guns ?

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I used to be religious about spring overhauls on my training gun every 5k rounds. A while back I decided to stop, except for the recoil spring and see how long it would go. So far, the current factory trigger spring has over 12k rounds fired on it, with an unknown and higher number of dry pulls and seems to be going strong. I now consider the Wilson spring to be an unnecessary expense. The extractor spring required replacement at 12k rounds, as I started getting an FTE about once every 100-150 rounds. Otherwise it's chugging right along towards the next locking block replacement. As for that, I don't consider that an operation that requires a gunsmith. When I lived with the 1911 I replaced things like extractors when needed and that was a much more complicated process than fitting a 92 locking block. In my opinion, if one is going to live with the 92 it's one of those simple tasks best learned for oneself.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

When I was shooting 92s frequently, I’d detail strip and replace the trigger and transfer bar spring every 10 K or so. They were cheap enough, and since they were already out.

Only broke a locking block once, and took about 70K+.
    Last edited by Bucky; 06-19-2018 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You mentioned students, are these .MIL guns or LE agency / academy guns ?
    Yeah these are all .mil guns and well used ones at that.

They get a good 3000 rounds a year with a boat load of dry fire as well. We usually have one go down every month due to the block or a spring.

Quote Originally Posted by 0Nightrain4 View Post
    They get a good 3000 rounds a year with a boat load of dry fire as well. We usually have one go down every month due to the block or a spring.
    I realize that this is the military, and when I was in we made it a firm practice never to replace any expendable part in, or lubricate, a pistol until the thing wouldn't work anymore, but would it make sense to simply replace the springs on schedule and inspect the blocks at every cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I realize that this is the military, and when I was in we made it a firm practice never to replace any expendable part in, or lubricate, a pistol until the thing wouldn't work anymore, but would it make sense to simply replace the springs on schedule and inspect the blocks at every cleaning?
    You would never get promoted with that type of common sense...
    But yes it would make sense. The guns have some sort of maintenance schedule although what it entails and how often that is done i dont know.

User Tag List