Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Broke some M9's today...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Beware what you wish for. If I ran a pawnshop and someone gave me a DoD M9 to trade,I’d laugh them out of the store. Maybe there are some examples in decent shape worth selling via the CMP but I’ve never seen them. Scrapping the abused and neglected M9s I handled in the USAF would be a civic benefit, IMO.
    I've seen a lot of beaten up M9's in my time, but only a handful that couldn't be brought back to a solid working gun with new mags, a new locking block, and new springs.

But I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't really care about finish wear so long as the internals are good and the gun is reliable and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Beretta currently recommends locking block replacement at 25k rounds. I usually do it at 18k-20k since it isn't an expensive part or a complicated replacement process. I used to replace every spring at 5k rounds, pretty much following company recommendations. I decided to forgo that on my training gun as an experiment. Since I don't use it for carry or as a spare, but only for training, if it goes down no big whup. Given the pull count on the current factory trigger return spring is WAY beyond the recommended 5k replacement interval, I'd say the factory part is good to go. In a carry gun I'd still replace it regularly if that was my only one, but it's no longer something I worry about. As for the Wilson chrome silicon spring: I have to call bullshit on that. Every other spring I've tried from Wilson that has been advertised as the last one you'll ever need has turned out to be anything but. I doubt the TR spring is any different. Overall, provided one follows a few simple instructions from the manufacturer, I've found the 92 to be one of the most bullet proof guns around.
    What is the recommended replacement schedule for the hammer/main spring?

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I've seen a lot of beaten up M9's in my time, but only a handful that couldn't be brought back to a solid working gun with new mags, a new locking block, and new springs.

But I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't really care about finish wear so long as the internals are good and the gun is reliable and accurate.
    I'm another of those weirdos, and the CMP has been good about sorting out the real trash--the stuff that can't be fixed--from the stuff that is still serviceable, if not pretty, which they call "rack grade."

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Beware what you wish for. If I ran a pawnshop and someone gave me a DoD M9 to trade,I’d laugh them out of the store. Maybe there are some examples in decent shape worth selling via the CMP but I’ve never seen them. Scrapping the abused and neglected M9s I handled in the USAF would be a civic benefit, IMO.
    Combined between all services, there were many hundred thousand M9/M9A1 bought during and towards the end of OIF or shortly afterwards. They should still be good to go.

ETA: And I don't think any of these Berettas will likely be given to CMP until most of us on this forum are either dead or old men. Refitting and placing into storage for when we have to finally turn Russia into a crater is where the guns should go.
    Last edited by TGS; 06-20-2018 at 01:29 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    That's a good question, but I can't provide a definitive answer.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    In my notes from the Beretta Factory tour that was offered to some of the leading lights on the Beretta Forum in 2006, the Beretta rep, Len Lucas, specified that recoil, magazine, slide catch, triggerbar and hammer springs should be replaced every 5,000 rounds or every 10 years, whichever comes first.

The 5K replacement interval for the mainspring strikes me as being pretty conservative; I suspect they'll last much, much longer. The 5K interval for the other springs mentioned makes sense in my experience (and I'd add the trigger return spring to the 5K replacement interval also). Hopefully Les Pepperoni will chime in on this. Regardless, the mainspring inexpensive and easy enough to replace (as are the others as well).

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-22-2018 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    In my notes from the Beretta Factory tour that was offered to some of the leading lights on the Beretta Forum in 2006, the Beretta rep, Len Lucas, specified that recoil, magazine, slide catch, triggerbar and hammer springs should be replaced every 5,000 rounds or every 10 years, whichever comes first.

The 5K replacement interval for the mainspring strikes me as being pretty conservative; I suspect they'll last much, much longer. The 5K interval for the other springs mentioned makes sense in my experience (and I'd add the trigger return spring to the 5K replacement interval also). Hopefully Les Pepperoni will chime in on this. Regardless, the mainspring inexpensive and easy enough to replace (as are the others as well).

Best, Jon
    I'd agree with that. I think that's more liability control than anything else. The D Spring currently in my training gun has at least 16k rounds on it and is functioning without issue. If one uses an even lighter spring, as many are now doing, I'd think those would need to be changed sooner.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 06-23-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    My first personally owned duty gun was a 92G. One of the first in the country, they were initially offered only to LE, as I recall. Carried that for several years, until the department mandated one gun to rule them all (which turned out to be a Beretta 96G). Put around 22,000 rounds through in that time. At one point they had an instructor out teaching a Beretta Armorer's course (from the factory). I happened to be at the range and I asked him about spring replacement schedules, as my gun had several thousand rounds through it. He said nothing on the gun should ever need replacing, including the recoil spring, and that Beretta made guns to last forever. He said this with a straight face. And this was the guy Beretta sent to teach the Armorer's course to our range staff when we did the conversion.

That said, nothing on the gun ever did get replaced, until a few months ago when I pulled it out of the safe and started rehabbing it for my 14 year old to start shooting Production Division (Thanks to LTT for some great parts and customer service!). We'll see how long the old girl lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I'd agree with that. I think that's more liability control than anything else. The D Spring currently in my training gun has at least 16k rounds on it and is functioning without issue. If one uses an even lighter spring, as many are now doing, I'd think those would need to be changed sooner.
    Hammer springs will generally last a very, very long time. The .45's we had back in the day generally never had any springs replaced--which caused problems with the recoil springs, of course--but unless they rusted in place (which was commoner--failure to detail strip weapons accompanied by failure to lubricate them can result in such things) the hammer springs never gave us an issue. I might consider replacing the hammer spring when I replaced the locking block--if it is a light weight spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Hammer springs will generally last a very, very long time. The .45's we had back in the day generally never had any springs replaced--which caused problems with the recoil springs, of course--but unless they rusted in place (which was commoner--failure to detail strip weapons accompanied by failure to lubricate them can result in such things) the hammer springs never gave us an issue. I might consider replacing the hammer spring when I replaced the locking block--if it is a light weight spring.
    My point was...does anyone think a worn out hammer spring affects the life of a recoil spring...and other parts (locking block / receiver /slide) ?
    Last edited by Redhat; 06-24-2018 at 10:04 PM.

User Tag List