Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USMC Off-Duty Firearms Safety Lessons Learned 2018

USMC Off-Duty Firearms Safety Lessons Learned 2018

This is copied from the Naval Safety Center of Lessons Learned and just showed up in my in box this morning.... Some face palm inducing moments indeed...

“Don’t try this at home, I’m a trained professional!”

(USMC Edition)

Working with firearms is inherently hazardous, and live fire exercises add even greater risks. Even so, during the past 30 months, our Marines have inadvertently shot themselves twice as often OFF-duty as compared to on-duty! -- 31 incidents of negligent firearm discharges in off-duty mishaps, resulting in 542 lost workdays and 1 fatality. Seriously, Bro! (and Sis)! Somehow our discipline on the range and on-duty isn’t carrying home.
    Here is a random sampling of some of the most recent events:

A Marine negligently discharged his personal firearm into his left thigh while in his parked POV. The message adds, “he was waiting in the store parking lot while his wife shopped.”

A Marine was excused from work early to meet with a real estate agent. While waiting for the meeting, the report states he “experienced an accidental discharge while handling his 9mm pistol”. The bullet lodged in his leg. He then drove himself to the ER.
    While firing his personal weapons alone off-base, a Marine negligently discharged his 9mm pistol into his left thigh while attempting to clear a stoppage. The report goes on to say that he used his belt as a tourniquet and drove to his residence ON-base where his wife and neighbor then took him to the hospital. -- You have to wonder how hard he had to grit his teeth to smile and greet the gate guard on the way to his house.

Two Marines were off base at one’s residence. They were working on a vehicle, but then they decided they should "work in" a new pistol holster that one of them had purchased. Marine 1 put on his holster and cleared the weapon. He stated that he recalled “ejecting the magazine and racking the slide to the rear, which should have cleared the pistol,” before putting it back in the holster. He stood 5-7 feet away from Marine 2 and performed a "quick draw" of the weapon (what could possibly go wrong…). His index finger missed the trigger guard and squeezed the trigger. The “empty” pistol discharged, causing a round to strike his buddy in the abdomen.

-- The report goes on to say “alcohol was a contributing factor to this mishap.” Sigh…

A Marine was inspecting a handgun while visiting a buddy’s house. He failed to clear the weapon properly and negligently discharged the firearm, shooting the homeowner (and gunowner) Marine in the foot. Naval Safety Center Naval Safety Center Naval Safety Center Naval Safety Center

A Marine was at his friend's house, where he was assessing a 9mm pistol (here we go again) belonging to a totally different friend. He accidently shot himself in the thigh.

A Marine went shooting at a local range. The next day he prepared to clean his weapon by removing the magazine and pulling the slide to the rear. He did not observe a round eject and he didn’t visually inspect the chamber, but he “assumed the weapon to be in condition 4.” Shortly thereafter he depressed the trigger in order to engage the slide release to disassemble the weapon, but instead (surprise!) shot himself clean through his left hand.

Marine 1 was watching the NCAA tournament at a fellow Marine’s house. He did what any of us would do while watching basketball (right?), he decided to adjust the sights of his pistol. When he began to disassemble it, he shot himself in the left hand and knee.

A Marine was attending a party at a friend's house while on leave. The friend was waving a pistol around and negligently discharged it into the Marine's neck, exiting his back. The report simply states “during the party alcohol was present.”

Lessons Learned:

Sadly, none of these lessons are new. They are the same lessons we’ve learned over generations of firearms use. All of these incidents result from failing to follow the basic tenets of firearm safety. To borrow another quote, “Throw me a bone here!” Generally, there are four rules, but we’ll stick to just two to keep it simple:

1. Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.

This includes:

-A weapon you just loaded.

-A weapon you just brought home from the range.

-A weapon you just got out of your bag.

-A weapon your buddy just handed you.

-A weapon you just handed back to your buddy.

-A weapon your drunk buddy is waving around (we’ll get to that again later…).

-A weapon you just removed the magazine from and cleared the chamber (so you think…).

-A weapon you just dismantled into four pieces and is sitting on the table (you get the idea…).

2. Never point a weapon (every weapon) at anything you don’t intend to kill/destroy.

This doesn’t just mean “purposefully aiming” – it means muzzle discipline. Don’t let the muzzle cover anything you aren’t willing to shoot, including:

-Your foot, thigh, hand, finger, head, etc.

-Your buddy’s foot, thigh, finger, head, entire body, etc.

-The thin drywall of the room, on the other side of which you can’t see who is there (it has happened…).

-etc.

Factors

• Failure to use basic firearms Safety Rules

Following just these two basic rules would have avoided 87% of the off-duty firearm mishaps that occurred in the past three years to date. Another 10% could’ve been avoided if Marines didn’t lean loaded shotguns on things. You can do that with a walking stick, but when the stick falls down it doesn’t shoot you or your neighbor. Believe it or not, dropped shotguns have hurt Marines three times in 30 months! That’s almost enough to be its own Lesson Learned article!

Bonus Lessons:

-When waiting in the car for someone, playing a first-person-shooter game on your cell phone is a better way to burn time than playing with your handgun for real.

-If you are watching the ball game, just stick to eating nachos and hot wings. Save the gun maintenance till later.

-Although John Wayne might’ve been proud (after he stopped laughing), don’t be afraid to call 911 instead of driving your bleeding self across town to get help. Especially if your car is a manual.

Recommendations:

1. Brief this lesson to all Marines (and Sailors because they aren’t immune either).

2. Remember AND USE these two basic firearm safety rules, even OFF-duty.

3. Many Marines enjoy firearms ... and many also enjoy partaking in alcohol ... but please avoid mixing the two.

“Let’s be careful out there”

In a nutshell the classic time honored often ignored advice of: "Don't be a fucking idiot"
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I wonder how many of the NDs in car were due to administrative handling of the weapon because servicemembers have to Don/doff the gun whenever transiting base, and that means if they carry then they are loading up and holstering in the vehicle.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I wonder how many of the NDs in car were due to administrative handling of the weapon because servicemembers have to Don/doff the gun whenever transiting base, and that means if they carry then they are loading up and holstering in the vehicle.
    If the service were to admit this is a factor, then they would have to either allow carry on base, or forbid carry off base. (At least, they would in my headspace). Guess which one would be most likely picked!

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    If the service were to admit this is a factor, then they would have to either allow carry on base, or forbid carry off base. (At least, they would in my headspace). Guess which one would be most likely picked!
    I'll take "Risk Aversion" for $1000, Alex.

I figure they will use to establish why you can’t be trusted to carry on post.

Could be, but I'll just go with the tried and true "playing with a loaded gun", just inside a car instead of the living room, bathroom, bedroom...
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Nothing new about this. Young men, stupidity, alcohol and guns are not a great combination. Particularly when the young men are showing off to young ladies.

In one cavalry squadron some decades ago, a profoundly learning-impaired jeep driver decided to play Russian Roulette at a party in front of a bunch of pretty young women. To show how brave he was, of course. He put a bullet in the cylinder and carefully placed it so it would fire last. Unfortunately he was used to Smith's and the revolver was a Colt. Or vice versa, but whichever revolver it was, the bullet entered the right temple and exited the top of the head. As you can imagine the resulting mess put somewhat of a damper on the party.

Two weeks later, a member of the same troop showed another party, also containing lots of pretty young women, what the other guy did. He borrowed someone else's revolver, asked if it were loaded, was told it was not, put it to his head and discovered the owner was mistaken (though perhaps not as much as he was). He lived, but I don't think he ever was able to see again.

Then, a few months later, two young criminals in the Head troop were talking about what to do about the rape charge against both of them. They had enticed a brand new female soldier into a car, had choked her until she blacked out and then took turns raping her.

The evidence against them was remarkably good--their prior planning had been less than robust--and the lower ranked one said he thought he'd plead guilty and get a lighter sentence. Since this would have required him to tell the truth, the higher ranking soldier tried talking his partner-in-rape out of the confession. As some point, the higher ranking one by chance, drew a .357 out of his pocket and it "snagged" on his clothes resulting in an "accidental discharge" that blew the spleen out of the younger rapist and sent him for a permanent stay in a VA hospital, where he decided he no longer had any memory of any rape. (The under-the-kitchen-table shooting apparently resembled Han Solo's famous "shooting first" episode with Greedo, except this was entirely accidental, or so said CID).

The four things that all these incidents had in common were (1) alcohol; 2) young men; 3) young ladies (though at a remove in the third incident) and 4) remarkably low GT scores (equivalent to an IQ score) on the part of those involved (they probably averaged less than 80 on the GT).

Dumb young men, alcohol, and dangerous tools of all sorts isn't a good combination.

Should be interesting once the M18/M17 becomes standard issue...
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    The CG of a post (don't remember which one) in Alaska forbade off-duty carry a few years back. I don't know whether that rule is still in force or if it was ignored.

I do remember coming into Doha from Tikrit and getting dirty looks because a) I still had my rifle and b) I was grungy (because Iraq).

User Tag List