Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI Newly skinny guy CCW ideas needed

Another vote for a purpose built AIWB holster. The plain jane IWB (even straight drop) holsters do not translate well to AIWB and maximum concealment. I have a FIST #1K that I love for IWB with my G43, but when I try to AIWB with it, it does not work well.

The correct belt will also be critical to both concealment and comfort. Read the EDC forum, LOTS of suggestions there...

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Awesome.

I have lots of lunchtime research material.

I would love to stay with the G19/Glock if I could. I have lots of reps and mags and spare parts for them so if possible, that would be ideal for me. I have some other holsters that my brother gave me when he switched to 1911's that I can try out as well as look at some of your recommendations.
    With either holster, make sure you get the foam wedge. It makes a big difference.

OP - I weigh in at 145 lbf and stand 5' 11" tall. I carried a Glock 23 AIWB daily for a 2 years in an NPE without issues. Having a good holster (for me a Raven Eidolon with some tinkering) and belt (SOE EDC low profile J hook) made the difference between having a giant bulge at 1'clock, and not being noticed. Also, I'd ditch the oversized pants and go for ones that fit decently even without the holster (for me it helps keep the gun from rolling out so much in AIWB). I've also found that slim(ish) fitting untucked button down shirts make concealment and access easy, but also blend in to social settings pretty well. That's just what's worked for me, hope it helps!

It is not the gun.

It is the belt/belt position/ belt attachment methods/angles of the holsters in question

I’m small and athletic - aiwb a brig tac with a full size light, spare mag, fixed blade, Tq and handheld.

Name:  0EBA6394-16BB-4B2B-94B5-2690FA35CCFB.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  37.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    It is not the gun.

It is the belt/belt position/ belt attachment methods/angles of the holsters in question

I’m small and athletic - aiwb a brig tac with a full size light, spare mag, fixed blade, Tq and handheld.

Geeze, that is nearly a bat belt loadout.

I guess I need to look at a better holster/belt combo.

That is pretty much where I was having to carry mine but I had an obvious bulge with the grip/back of the slide was located that was very obviously a gun.

You have a bit more muscle mass than me but you are also carrying a much larger gun. I wouldn't even try to carry my M92 IWB.

I appreciate the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Geeze, that is nearly a bat belt loadout.

I guess I need to look at a better holster/belt combo.

That is pretty much where I was having to carry mine but I had an obvious bulge with the grip/back of the slide was located that was very obviously a gun.

You have a bit more muscle mass than me but you are also carrying a much larger gun. I wouldn't even try to carry my M92 IWB.

I appreciate the info.
    Back when I used a smaller gun - but holster that wasn’t well suited to my body type - the bulge was much more obvious.

At the time I was using a belt that was needlessly stiff and a mag pouch with an attachment method which placed it too far away from my body to hide well.

Name:  F579D0A3-EE3C-438F-8FA2-93EDFD51A93A.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  9B38432F-B322-4C74-B5D1-DFBD684C09D4.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  23.7 KB
    Last edited by Duke; 06-18-2018 at 03:55 PM.

It is not the gun.

Agree

I may of missed it Crow Hunter but what holster were you using?

Duke that looks like a JMCk 2.5?

If you want to stay with the G19 and AIWB check out Keepers Concealment. The " Keeper" should meet your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Agree

I may of missed it Crow Hunter but what holster were you using?

Duke that looks like a JMCk 2.5?
    A cheap Galco suede holster, I don't remember the model.

After I got home I dug through my "that didn't work" holster box with stuff that I haven't been able to give away and I found an old Safariland holster that I tried using for a while and it didn't work. It has an adjustable cant to it and I played around with that including parading around in front of my wife while she was on the phone with her Mom to see if she could see anything. She couldn't figure out what I was trying to do until I lifted up my shirt. With a forward cant it pretty much disappears at 3:00.

I think the JMK 3 with some cant might be just the ticket.

I also experimented with my M60 3" Mexican carry and even with my preferred grip it hid appendix quite a bit better than my G19.

Thanks guys!

ETA:

This doesn't mean that I won't be getting a G43 or other gun you know for reasons and stuff.
    Last edited by Crow Hunter; 06-18-2018 at 06:02 PM.

It is not the gun.

Back when I used a smaller gun - but holster that wasn’t well suited to my body type - the bulge was much more obvious.

At the time I was using a belt that was needlessly stiff and a mag pouch with an attachment method which placed it too far away from my body to hide well.

Name:  F579D0A3-EE3C-438F-8FA2-93EDFD51A93A.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  9B38432F-B322-4C74-B5D1-DFBD684C09D4.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  23.7 KB
    That honestly looks pretty uncomfortable to me even if it is concealable

I personally like the G26 but I have a muscular build and have a lot of weight on the op (135 at 5'11? You need a few trips to golden corral my friend). The G43 has never felt right to me but it is obviously popular. In the hand I prefer the PPS m2 and the Shield 2.0. The PPS m2 with RDS actually looks like a cool option that would be fun for the range and work for carry supposing that the RDS is decent. While I could carry a 3 lb gun with mags, ammo, etc in my pants, I just really don't want to because I still have to do my day to day stuff.

User Tag List