Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping up with round count

Keeping up with round count

Do you guys keep up with round counts?

If so do you do it by gun?

What method do you use? App, hand written?

Thanks for any info you can share.
    David

Mine isnt super scientific

I just make a note on the notes section of my iphone for that gun

So if I go the range with 500 and come home with 70 I note 430 rounds fired.

I also not spring changes as well.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I have a speadsheet for every gun that is set up like this. It is not the most organized system but It has been working so far.
    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  70.6 KB

The more used guns are recorded by month with the notes moved to a standard word document. I also keep a tab for a total round count across all guns.
    Last edited by Artemas2; 06-18-2018 at 08:14 AM.

I do it similar to Artemas, just a spreadsheet with a list that records the date, rounds fired (although without the decimal since I've never fired 17.37 rounds), any notes (cleaned / stovepipe / TRS replaced / whatever), and a formula that keeps a running total because I'm lazy.

It is per gun, the general idea being you know when regular maintenance needs are coming up. While I have everything in a spreadsheet I'll just note 6 or so days in Evernote before adding it to the official spreadsheet because again, lazy.

If you go to the range with known numbers of rounds it's really easy to count them. I always have full 100 round boxes of reloads.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    Do you guys keep up with round counts?

If so do you do it by gun?

What method do you use? App, hand written?

Thanks for any info you can share.
    David
    I have a spreadsheet that tracks round count p/gun by make/model/sn, as well as what I was working on in training that day with any high/lowlights.

It also tracks failures/stoppages and what caused them.
    Last edited by jetfire; 06-18-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    If shooting factory ammo, I tear off the flap and drop it in my empty brass holder for each box I use. I then tally up box flaps, do the math, and add it to my running round count in my training notebook. If I have a partial box of ammo left, just count it out and add it.

If shooting reloads, I take boxes of 100, just count now-empty boxes and what's left.

With the exception of qualification days, I never shoot the same caliber but in different guns on the same range outing. It's usually a "pick 2" of 9mm Glock, .38/.357 revolver, and AR rifle.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I should add that I don’t track ammo fired for quals at work, largely because burning up 1600 rounds on a 240 isn’t really relevant to getting more gooderer at shooting a handgun.

Not sure what each individual's purpose is for tracking round count, but if trigger presses are a driver, don't forget to track dry work.

hold my beer...

Log "transactions" here.
    *note* this is the only place I enter data. All other sheets derive their results from this.

ammo-by-firearm report.
    *note* old image, doesn't show the dry fire line at the bottom.

ammo FIFO report.
    * FIFO == First In First Out, for those unsure.

Last Fired/Cleaned/Rounds-since-cleaning report.

overall remaining report.

I needed to work on my excel skills, so I gave myself a reason/task.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I keep round counts on my working guns as a way to maintain maintenance intervals. The other 80% of the safe are recreational guns that get shot on occasion, so I don't bother with those. I don't keep track of dryfire practice because I'm simply not that anal. I keep the log on a Word Doc on my computer.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List