Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimber's reputation blinding us to an excellent choice?

For me, this revolver lacks aesthetic appeal, but I'm more interested in function. I read in an early article there is no MIM in these. However, since Kimber chocks their 1911s full of same, hard for me to believe. If true, I'd likely buy one provided I could find some reviews with high round counts and satisfactory results. Not encountering much in that area.

As the OP on this thread, I was just about ready to say "These things are great, I don't care who makes them!" Also, "Who cares how odd it looks." Then yesterday...
    Shooting my K6S (less than 200 round count and a LOT of dry firing), a click and not a bang sound is made.
    Shortening the story, it appears the firing pin is broken. This is a failure I found on a Kimber forum as well. Will contact Kimber today.

Having shot three K6s, I will say this. The trigger pulls are uniformly excellent, mine being the worst of the three. The sights are of the drive the dot format and regulated for heavier bullets, 158 and 148 being the closest to POA. The 130/135s were ridiculously low impact, for me at least. I never bothered with the 110s. The 3 inch version is particularly nice to shoot and the sights were the best regulated. More later...

Further comments. The extended grip on the K6 is definitely worth the effort. They really are big enough to help my XL hands get a full grip yet don't make the pistol huge. Checkering would be useful for better control. Haven't tried it yet but I think they would work in an ankle holster well enough but would be stretching it for pocket carry.

The laser is a Crimson Trace unit and works well for both concealment and is big enough to grip well, it matches the standard grips.

I'm going to check the manufacturing date info on all three revolvers. I believe mine may be from an older lot.
    I know this sounds like a rationalization and it may well be. However, I have had some really bad experiences with S&W products as well (a 686+ that jams up the trigger if short stroked comes to mind) but haven't written Smith off yet either. Everything else about this piece works so well I'm going to go the extra mile, for now.

The obvious alternative is the Colt Night Cobra.
    Last edited by 314159; 08-03-2018 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    As the OP on this thread, I was just about ready to say "These things are great, I don't care who makes them!" Also, "Who cares how odd it looks." Then yesterday...
    Shooting my K6S (less than 200 round count and a LOT of dry firing), a click and not a bang sound is made.
    Shortening the story, it appears the firing pin is broken. This is a failure I found on a Kimber forum as well. Will contact Kimber today.

Having shot three K6s, I will say this. The trigger pulls are uniformly excellent, mine being the worst of the three. The sights are of the drive the dot format and regulated for heavier bullets, 158 and 148 being the closest to POA. The 130/135s were ridiculously low impact, for me at least. I never bothered with the 110s. The 3 inch version is particularly nice to shoot and the sights were the best regulated. More later...
    Thank you for the failure-report. This is first failure I've heard. This was a low round-count, too. Please keep us up-to-date as to how/how long Kimber takes to handle this. I've got one Kimber 1911 and had two other Kimber 1911s. All three have needed some warranty work in the past (but those were 1911 guns).

Another flaw I initially read about was a rough or sharp area around the cylinder release latch/button on one K6S sample in someone's review. I've not heard anyone else experiencing that flaw.

I'm still looking for more reports on Colt's Cobra, specifically the Night Cobra. I've not had good luck previously with a couple of Colt .45 ACP Commanders and not "sold" on Colt either.

Again, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Was the dry firing done with or without snap caps?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I foolishly believed that modern centerfire pistols could be safely dry fired without damage. So, no snap caps.

The dry firing was also intended to smooth out the MIM components inside (I may be woefully mis-informed here). A prior poster has since stated that the K6S has no MIM perts. I don't know if that is true but I thought there were. There was a fair amount of mindless snapping just to put cycles on the revolver as well as proper practice.

I also understand there’s no mim, and mine is smooth as silk anyway.
    Thank you for honest reporting. That’s a help to us.
    Keep us informed concerning CS.

Skip

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    For me, this revolver lacks aesthetic appeal, but I'm more interested in function. I read in an early article there is no MIM in these. However, since Kimber chocks their 1911s full of same, hard for me to believe. If true, I'd likely buy one provided I could find some reviews with high round counts and satisfactory results. Not encountering much in that area.
    I'm at 680 rounds in my 1k test of my K6. So far no problems. The revolver is pretty filthy at this point but I have to let it be until I hit the 1k round mark. Once I hit the 1k round count I'm going to scrub it down. I've dry fired the snot out of it also on empty chambers and so far no failures to report even with the "standard" S&W trigger rebound tune I completed on my K6 bringing the DA down to less than 8lbs. I'm hoping for enough time this weekend to get the 1k round count test done. Then, I'll call it good to go.
    Last edited by medmo; 08-03-2018 at 10:19 PM.

So, one of the 3" ones came home with me today.

Yeah, I am the guy who called it fugly in another thread. But that was before I held one.

I have said, at least a half-dozen times here before, how much I'd love it if S&W would do a new K-frame .38/.357 3" round butt; with a bead blast or matte stainless finish; DAO with sweet trigger; real, 21st-c. sights; lighter weight, and no damn lock.

So I'm holding the 3" K6, and I've got that same inside-the-brain view that Arnold had at the opening of the first Terminator: when his android vision brackets the tall hippie biker and goes MATCHMATCHMATCH on the leather jacket, pants and boots.

I'm looking at this Kimber, and the wheelie spec sheet in my mind is flashing the same match code.

Plus, the price was right. There are times in life when one must know how to take "yes" for an answer, and this was one of those times.

I'm sitting on almost 1k of FA 158gr plated flat point .38, and I'm old enough to have a stash of all the classic .357 food groups: several boxes of 145 silvertip, a left over box each of both Federal and Remington's 125 SJHP, a box or two of WWB 110 grainers, and even some of the old Remington golden saber 125 midrange load. After a quick test outing to run 2 boxes of the 158 grain FMJ on the way home, I'm enthusiastic enough to set the J-frames aside long enough to run the next 1k .38 and some representative .357 (as I can handle it) though this thing to see for myself how she holds up. One of two things will probably happen: either the K6 will keep shooting like it did on today's first outing, and I'll be married to it, or it will crap the sheets.

As a wheelie guy, I just have to see for myself. I'll add myself to the list of folks reporting back here in a while. First cylinder at 7 (ish) yards, then a couple more in the circle of the same p-f target. One thing that may have to go: that wooden grip feels great, but it's slick and the ovoid profile is squirmy. It's hard for me to keep from rolling slightly left or right. I think some VZs with a bit more texture are in the future. But, in all, I dig it at first try.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I am just over 500 rounds into the test for my 3", all full power .357 loads so far, and my only complaint is the grips. I tried spray grit on the slick factory grips, not much help, I am getting ready to try a set of the factory rubber grips. Compared to other currently manufactured revolvers there is a scarcity of grip options for this bird.

User Tag List