Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Kimber's reputation blinding us to an excellent choice?

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    ...If I go with the 640 pro, still down a round to the kimber. The only thing that smith or ruger out do the kimber on is weight. Shooting the snubbers at 25 yards this weekend on steel I was very easily able to hit with the kimber. The S&W wasn't too bad, but it is so much harder to see the sights. I was also impressed on how well it handled 125 grain 357 rounds, however I would never carry them as you don't really get anything except extra recoil. It was nice to know however that if in a pinch I needed to use .357 ammo it would not be unbearable.
    Not just down a round on the 640 Pro, but a noticeably inferior trigger compared to the K6S at nearly identical weight.

I say this as a 640 Pro owner, too; I still think it's the best conceived S&W defense J ever, but the Kimber is better in every way, unless low weight is the primary requirement in which case the 640 is out anyway. I said it before in this thread and I'll say it again: the K6S is the personal defense revolver S&W should have built, and I'll add that now it's the revolver S&W should learn from and beat, but I'm skeptical.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

just how is the state of kimber's QC is these dayze?

i can find no fault with the 642 compromise i made. add in another round? depends on how that would be design implemented and how the resulting weight and bulk would subjectively feel in hand and on person. allow the front sight to be replaceable? definitely! adjustable rear sight? nah, not really. QC check gun mechanics and the sight alignment before shipping to a dealer? oh yeah. better grips? no matter what's used, factory grip choice will be too subjective, leave us to find what we like better than uncle mike's.

Site Supporter
    QC on their revolvers is better than S&W these days. I have had a revolver I had to send back for a canted barrel and personally know two other people that have sent back brand new revolvers for that (one of them being a 642). The only issue I have heard with the kimber is the firing pin breaking if you dry fire it without snap caps.

That being said, I still wouldn't buy a kimber semi auto pistol no matter how good of a deal I was getting..

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    just how is the state of kimber's QC is these dayze?

i can find no fault with the 642 compromise i made. add in another round? depends on how that would be design implemented and how the resulting weight and bulk would subjectively feel in hand and on person. allow the front sight to be replaceable? definitely! adjustable rear sight? nah, not really. QC check gun mechanics and the sight alignment before shipping to a dealer? oh yeah. better grips? no matter what's used, factory grip choice will be too subjective, leave us to find what we like better than uncle mike's.

Does anyone know for sure if the current version is MIM free? It was billed as such in some initial propaganda, but I don't know if that was ever true or remains the case. I might pick one up if true.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    QC on their revolvers is better than S&W these days. I have had a revolver I had to send back for a canted barrel and personally know two other people that have sent back brand new revolvers for that (one of them being a 642). The only issue I have heard with the kimber is the firing pin breaking if you dry fire it without snap caps.

That being said, I still wouldn't buy a kimber semi auto pistol no matter how good of a deal I was getting..
    Last S&W I bought went back twice, with no respectable improvement. Hell, the Ruger Blackhawk I just bought is in transit on an RMA as I type, and it’s the second Ruger SA revolver I’ve sent back to them.

Now that Kimber has redesigned and ironed out their firing pin issue, I have no qualms about buying current production. The TLE 2" is calling my name, in fact...

ETA: if my safe was wiped, and I had to start over, I’d buy a Night Cobra, a K6 (probably TLE) a G45, 19 and 42, and an ass-ton of rifles/optics. Oh, and one 1911, because, ‘murica. That’s how much I like these new fangled wheelies.

Yeah, and another Blackhawk... but whatever, I’m just posturing because the upstarts are eating S&W’s lunch. JMO.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 06-25-2019 at 10:46 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Kimber just sent Steve Fisher of Sentinel Concepts 2” and 3” DA/SA K6’s. Gonna be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Interesting how he is going to get his yeti mitts around it. Grip is almost too small for my little hands. I just want to know when kimber is going to put out an alloy version. I love shooting my K6s.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Kimber just sent Steve Fisher of Sentinel Concepts 2” and 3” DA/SA K6’s. Gonna be interesting.

I watched the live unboxing. They did look tiny in his hands. He did spin them like a pair of Colts rather well though.
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    The local shop has a DA/SA 2 inch. Looks like a nice carry gun.

Would be interesting to see how difficult it would be to bob the hammer and convert it to DAO.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    The local shop has a DA/SA 2 inch. Looks like a nice carry gun.

Would be interesting to see how difficult it would be to bob the hammer and convert it to DAO.
    Just get the DAO version.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List