Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimber's reputation blinding us to an excellent choice?

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Agreed. My thoughts are this is an excellent revolver so far in my experience based on my evaluation. I should hit the 1k round mark on Wednesday. Having to use snap caps to prevent a firing pin breakage for the heavy amount of dry firing I do doesn't diminish it for me if this is the only thing that comes up in my evaluation.

Does anyone have a picture of their K6 firing pin? I really didn't examine my original one closely and don't have any pictures of it. Examining the replacement firing pin that Kimber replaced I noticed that it does have considerable radius where the pin meets the body. I'm wondering if this is a revised design. Below is a picture of the replacement firing pin and a picture of the broken one.
    Bumping, because I just called and asked directly if there was a redesigned firing pin, and if it was a safe assumption that all the newer K6s came with the part. The rep did confirm that the firing pin was updated, and confirmed that any recent gun--and I asked specifically about the DA/SA and the TLE--would have the updated parts. FWIW.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

What serial # would get an updated pin ?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    What serial # would get an updated pin ?
    Thanks.
    I have no idea. It wouldn’t surprise me if even Kimber CS didn’t know for sure.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Bumping, because I just called and asked directly if there was a redesigned firing pin, and if it was a safe assumption that all the newer K6s came with the part. The rep did confirm that the firing pin was updated, and confirmed that any recent gun--and I asked specifically about the DA/SA and the TLE--would have the updated parts. FWIW.
    Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

I have two 357 mag snubbies ... Both Ruger .... I looked at the Kimber before my SP101 choice... I found several " luke warm" threads , simlar to this one .. so I picked the SP101 .. and I really like my LCR357 also ... the LCR's trigger has really grown on me ..
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 771
Size:  70.3 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  55.6 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    I have two 357 mag snubbies ... Both Ruger .... I looked at the Kimber before my SP101 choice... I found several " luke warm" threads , simlar to this one .. so I picked the SP101 .. and I really like my LCR357 also ... the LCR's trigger has really grown on me ..

I think the SP101 is one of the best, if not the best, looking revolvers out there.

Still, I would like to check out the Kimber with the external hammer as an actual carry piece.

Took a cruise through the thread again and I'm not seeing "luke warm." Most of the reviews on the web are pretty positive also. The only knocks and gripes by folks are grip selection, some broken firing pins and price. It looks like Kimber has addressed the broken firing pin problem so that is water under the bridge. Price? When compared to Talo models, S&W Pro and Custom Shop series the K6s price fits. Apples to apples, it is in line with those revolvers price and features. The grip selection still isn't as plentiful as they are for S&W & Ruger. I'm good with the factory grips but would definitely be interested in a set of Hogues when/if they come out with them in rubber. I've owned and enjoyed a few SPs and have no complaints with the Rugers. My view is that the K6s outshines the SPs & J Frame options with better sights with more options, size efficiency, +1 round & out of the box trigger pull/feel. With a S&W rebound smooth/tune treatment on the K6s the trigger pull/feel is truly exceptional.

Took a cruise through the thread again and I'm not seeing "luke warm." Most of the reviews on the web are pretty positive also. The only knocks and gripes by folks are grip selection, some broken firing pins and price. It looks like Kimber has addressed the broken firing pin problem so that is water under the bridge. Price? When compared to Talo models, S&W Pro and Custom Shop series the K6s price fits. Apples to apples, it is in line with those revolvers price and features. The grip selection still isn't as plentiful as they are for S&W & Ruger. I'm good with the factory grips but would definitely be interested in a set of Hogues when/if they come out with them in rubber. I've owned and enjoyed a few SPs and have no complaints with the Rugers. My view is that the K6s outshines the SPs & J Frame options with better sights with more options, size efficiency, +1 round & out of the box trigger pull/feel. With a S&W rebound smooth/tune treatment on the K6s the trigger pull/feel is truly exceptional.

Your dime , spend it as you feel fit .. My dime I spent it as I felt fit ...I'm extremely happy with my choice...
    But who knows a Kimber revolver may find its way in my safe in time ....

Your dime , spend it as you feel fit .. My dime I spent it as I felt fit ...I'm extremely happy with my choice...
    But who knows a Kimber revolver may find its way in my safe in time ....
    Most definitely, no way did I mean to insult your choice. The SPs are solid revolvers based on my experience and I like them a lot. I’m just illustrating why I prefer the K6s over the SP. I’ve run quite a few rounds through both, (over 3k through my current K6s and plan on adding another 300 tomorrow), and think that either is a quality choice. I like the K6s a bit more for the reasons I listed.

Most definitely, no way did I mean to insult your choice. The SPs are solid revolvers based on my experience and I like them a lot. I’m just illustrating why I prefer the K6s over the SP. I’ve run quite a few rounds through both, (over 3k through my current K6s and plan on adding another 300 tomorrow), and think that either is a quality choice. I like the K6s a bit more for the reasons I listed.
    The K6 is a beautiful revolver... and there is a verygood chance it will be my next revolver purchase ( or a 686 +) ... This SP101 is next to the best I have owned , I have actually refused to accept a couple that were below par..one had a cylinder drag , the other a must have been a Friday afternoon gun , being it had horrible tooling marks ... Stuff happens...No gun company is perfect... I'm glad to here your Kimber is working out for you , and that , if they had birthing pains , they are subsiding .. Im hoping that Ruger will produce a six shot LCR357 or a figure out how to squeeze a extra .357 hole in the SP101 ...
    I lean toward semiauto pistols as my carry guns , but revolvers will be always be in the mix ..

User Tag List