Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimber's reputation blinding us to an excellent choice?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I know, but it's missing a shot.

The fact Colt and Kimber can make the same size gun hold 6 rounds disappoints me in Ruger.

Ruger does tend to overbuild their steel revolvers. The .327 version has 6 rounds, but no factory DAO.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I know, but it's missing a shot.

The fact Colt and Kimber can make the same size gun hold 6 rounds disappoints me in Ruger.
    True. But it exists right now...no wishing or gunsmithing involved.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

about to give up my test

I am at about 750 rounds into my test of this thing, it has all been 100% full power .357 loads, about 50/50 of the 125's and 158's.

This is the third set of grips I have had on the gun, the factory original where these slim slick side things, I modified those with clear spray grit, then I tried a set of checkered Altamonts, then I found these factory rubber versions. My bottom line is that all the grip options I have found are completely unacceptable for running this thing as a full power .357. I simply cannot do good work like I can with my 3" SP101 and the much more generous Pachmyrs or the factory rubber grips on that SP101, both of which cover the backstrap and give my pinkie a solid purchase on the gun.

I am not seeing aftermarket grips available for this thing that I think will solve the recoil management problem like the Pachmyrs mostly solve it for me on the SP101.

I am tired of leaving the range with bleeding hands in a 100 round range session, so this is the end of my attempt to run 2K full power rounds through this thing. It is still as tight and accurate as it was on the first day, no endshake or any of that, but I realize a 750 round test is not a 2000 round test, and I am giving up now.

The whole appeal of this gun to me was full power .357 and 3" and 1 round more than my sturdy reliable SP101 in a similar size and weight. But for lack of decent grips, I find it is just not manageable for me with full power ammo. If I just needed a 6 shot .38 I have plenty of those that are lighter, and easy to shoot and easy to carry like my K and D frames.

Name:  kimber k6 9_8_18 range session.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  37.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I am at about 750 rounds into my test of this thing, it has all been 100% full power .357 loads, about 50/50 of the 125's and 158's.

This is the third set of grips I have had on the gun, the factory original where these slim slick side things, I modified those with clear spray grit, then I tried a set of checkered Altamonts, then I found these factory rubber versions. My bottom line is that all the grip options I have found are completely unacceptable for running this thing as a full power .357. I simply cannot do good work like I can with my 3" SP101 and the much more generous Pachmyrs or the factory rubber grips on that SP101, both of which cover the backstrap and give my pinkie a solid purchase on the gun.

I am not seeing aftermarket grips available for this thing that I think will solve the recoil management problem like the Pachmyrs mostly solve it for me on the SP101.

I am tired of leaving the range with bleeding hands in a 100 round range session, so this is the end of my attempt to run 2K full power rounds through this thing. It is still as tight and accurate as it was on the first day, no endshake or any of that, but I realize a 750 round test is not a 2000 round test, and I am giving up now.

The whole appeal of this gun to me was full power .357 and 3" and 1 round more than my sturdy reliable SP101 in a similar size and weight. But for lack of decent grips, I find it is just not manageable for me with full power ammo. If I just needed a 6 shot .38 I have plenty of those that are lighter, and easy to shoot and easy to carry like my K and D frames.

What is lighter/smaller that holds 6 rounds?

Did you shoot any .38s out of it? If so, how did it handle those.

Hogue is supposedly close to releasing Bantams, but those are unlikely to have a covered backstrap.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What is lighter/smaller that holds 6 rounds?

Did you shoot any .38s out of it? If so, how did it handle those.
    Colt Agent and Cobra (gen 3) and S&W M12, all stuff I have multiples of, that are no longer produced.

I never fired a .38 special round in this gun.

That frame looks suspiciously close in dimensions to a J-Frame, except that the locating pin for the grips is at the front instead of the center like a Smith.

Have you looked at whether or not J-Frame grips could be modified to fit? That might open up some doors.

ETA: Seems a bit more complicated than I thought - but it is possible. - https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/ki...ur-kimber.html
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-08-2018 at 09:44 PM.

Last Wednesday I completed my 1k round evaluation shooting over 300 rounds with a good mix of magnum loads. Will post an update later. I use a shooting glove anytime I’m running high count range sessions with any of my center fire handguns to avoid exactly what you are describing. It’s actually a fingerless weight lifting glove from Walmart and it stays in my range bag with the ear and eye protection. Have you ever tried using a glove at the range?

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Have you ever tried using a glove at the range?
    Back in the early to mid 1980's I used a golf glove (our glove choices were more limited then, the manufacturers sold the exact same glove as a golf glove and a batting glove) with my new S&W 681 because I fed it a steady diet of magnum ammo with those terrible factory stocks. What I decided over time is that if I have to wear some sort of glove to practice or finish range drills, the gun and ammo are not really suitable for a self defense role, of course that is only my personal opinion.

If it hurts to shoot, you are creating more than a flinch, you are actually changing your grip, trigger management and mechanics to avoid the pain of firing and it all becomes less effective.

Just my personal paradigm, but if some combination is not a thing I can stand to complete a 100 round practice session with, I am just going to discard it all as a CCW choice since there are so many very good choices I can do that with.

I abandoned the HK P7 for this reason many years ago. I was adjusting my grip and hand position to avoid the hot as hell dust cover after firing a couple of mags in a range session. I am sure it would not matter in a fight but I was unwilling to keep a bucket of water on the line with me or sit and wait 5 minutes between strings in order to finish some simple drills.

I am quite certain this could be a good .38 launcher. Just not something I need it for, or that I am willing to consider it for.
    Last edited by fatdog; 09-09-2018 at 11:18 AM.

User Tag List