Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimber's reputation blinding us to an excellent choice?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Some makes and models yes and other makes and models no. The K6 is a definite no and snap caps should be used based on my experience of a sample of one.
    How big of a difference will using snap caps make?

I am stilling hoping these prove to be reliable over the long term, and that they release on with an exposed hammer that can be bobbed. Even with a DAO, I prefer to have a hammer to thumb.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 09-02-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Some makes and models yes and other makes and models no. The K6 is a definite no and snap caps should be used based on my experience of a sample of one.
    Right.

I don't think I articulated that well.

I guess the question I'm trying to ask is "should we hold this against Kimber?"

I was predisposed to dislike this gun, based on my experience trying to get multiple Kimber 1911's to run for various friends. One guy sort of un-friended me when I told him the best way to solve his problem was to unscrew his custom grip panels and slide a Springfield or Colt in between them.

So when I saw the firing pin breakages, my first reflex was to think "See! Toldja it was a piece of shit!"

But I'm not sure that's fair. We've seen these guns go some pretty high round counts (for a revolver) without being cleaned for example.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    One guy sort of un-friended me when I told him the best way to solve his problem was to unscrew his custom grip panels and slide a Springfield or Colt in between them.
    Well played.

I’m at about 600 rounds with the one I just bought, and I hope it continues to chug along. I’ll admit: if it was a Ruger or S&W, I’d be feeling pretty confident already. I want this thing to prove awesome, but I can’t help hearing Greg Hamilton’s voice in my head, since he once told me that if you can’t dry fire your weapon in practice, then your gun’s a piece of shit and you need a new one.

On the other hand, I own a good number of .22s, and accept the limitations there, so I’m essentially happy if it stays together with a diet of snap caps and live rounds. JMO, OMMV, etc.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Even with a DAO, I prefer to have a hammer to thumb.
    A number of DAO revolvers with exposed hammers, can't be thumb-cocked. So I am not sure of your point.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I think he might be referencing the utility of the "thumb on the hammer as you holster the piece" technique. I miss that myself on my K6 and various j frames.

Still haven't stripped/shot my returned K6. A lot of expense could be saved by Kimber if they would just tell people to use snap caps on their design. Now I'm paranoid and just spent a small fortune on snap caps for ALL my revolvers.

Alternatively, make the firing pin out of a more shock resistant steel with better heat treat and fix the problem !

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Alternatively, make the firing pin out of a more shock resistant steel with better heat treat and fix the problem !
    Agreed. My thoughts are this is an excellent revolver so far in my experience based on my evaluation. I should hit the 1k round mark on Wednesday. Having to use snap caps to prevent a firing pin breakage for the heavy amount of dry firing I do doesn't diminish it for me if this is the only thing that comes up in my evaluation.

Does anyone have a picture of their K6 firing pin? I really didn't examine my original one closely and don't have any pictures of it. Examining the replacement firing pin that Kimber replaced I noticed that it does have considerable radius where the pin meets the body. I'm wondering if this is a revised design. Below is a picture of the replacement firing pin and a picture of the broken one.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks for reminding me of radius to reduce stress risers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    A number of DAO revolvers with exposed hammers, can't be thumb-cocked. So I am not sure of your point.

Exactly. I want DAO so it can't be cocked, but also I want an exposed hammer to thumb when I holster.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Exactly. I want DAO so it can't be cocked, but also I want an exposed hammer to thumb when I holster.
    https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5720.html
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List