Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimber's reputation blinding us to an excellent choice?

Site Supporter
    Man as a revolver addict, this thread may cost me money. Usually it is S&W revolvers that sing that Siren Song to me. But the 3” bring such a premium I might just get a 3” K6.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto View Post
    Man as a revolver addict, this thread may cost me money. Usually it is S&W revolvers that sing that Siren Song to me. But the 3” bring such a premium I might just get a 3” K6.
    Quoting Wingate’s Brush post: “Kimber built a revolver that S&W should have.”

Made a lot of sense to me when I read it.

If my S&W 19-3 and 637-2 got together and had a baby. A solidly purposefully built baby:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by medmo; 07-12-2018 at 12:18 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Ugh. That just reminds me how much better it would have been if they had hired engineers and CNC programmers who were capable of making more complex shapes. It's like a return to the design language of 30 years ago, when we were taking baby steps with those tools.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Ugh. That just reminds me how much better it would have been if they had hired engineers and CNC programmers who were capable of making more complex shapes. It's like a return to the design language of 30 years ago, when we were taking baby steps with those tools.
    Have you had a chance to handle one? The cylinder profile is an extremely complex shape.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Yes. Was not impressed with workmanship of production samples in person. Trigger press on a couple I tried was just OK.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I handled one at an LGS. It looked fine, but not for the asking price.

My 3” M-64 does just fine as an EDC.

If I need a magnum, there’s a 2 3/4” Security Six in the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I handled one at an LGS. It looked fine, but not for the asking price.

My 3” M-64 does just fine as an EDC.

If I need a magnum, there’s a 2 3/4” Security Six in the safe.
    Yes, someone can carry the 3” 64 but it isn’t as portable, (a lot larger & heavier), much worse sights comparatively and also comparatively a worse DA, (unless you have had custom action work). At the end of the day if someone shoots their 64 the best and is what they are most confident in shooting then they probably should carry it.

My thought on the price is that it is right in line with S&W Pro & Performance Center series models.

Here’s my 64-1 3” for size comparison:

Range trip today brings the round count to 380 and I’m continuing with an A+ rating of my sample of 1. 100 rounds REM 130gr FMJ, 100 of my hand load 158gr LSWC over 3.5gr Titegroup, and 12 Blazer 357 mag 158gr. Getting faster and more accurate. For me, it’s not hard to shoot this revolver well with these sights and amazingly sweet DA. 620 more rounds to hit the 1k mark and I’ll call it good.

Here’s the K6 taking a break with his third cousin once removed S&W 327NG:

Site Supporter
    I have been following and enjoying this thread. It makes me really regret buying the cobra over the K6, but like you said in the title it was due to Kimber's history and the fact that they had not designed or made revolvers previously. Had I known that Grant Cunningham had some input in the design I might have chosen differently. Please keep the updates rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    I have been following and enjoying this thread. It makes me really regret buying the cobra over the K6, but like you said in the title it was due to Kimber's history and the fact that they had not designed or made revolvers previously. Had I known that Grant Cunningham had some input in the design I might have chosen differently. Please keep the updates rolling.
    Great info. Here’s a link with Grant’s comments & review:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2016/...s-flashlights/

User Tag List