Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimber's reputation blinding us to an excellent choice?

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Great info. Here’s a link with Grant’s comments & review:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2016/...s-flashlights/
    “...but this is the first time I know of that a major firearms manufacturer has sought out, at the very start of the design process, input from a private-sector instructor about a self defense handgun.“

*cough Bren Ten cough*
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    “...but this is the first time I know of that a major firearms manufacturer has sought out, at the very start of the design process, input from a private-sector instructor about a self defense handgun.“

*cough Bren Ten cough*
    That’s a good one and I chuckled out loud reading it. Cooper is a demi god but the Bren Ten was a cluster.

I wouldn’t say this is “apples & oranges” but maybe “apples & apple sauce.”

The K6 doesn’t have magazines so no worries about magazine failures that plagued the Bren Ten. Also, the 10mm was a brand new cartidge that was still being developed while the 357/38 have been figured out for years. Since the K6 was released over 2 years ago I’m confident in them.

Three hundred more rounds down range today brings the round count to 680. All 38 SPEC. Equal mix of WIN 130gr FMJ, FED 158gr RN & REM 130gr FMJ. I alternated shooting one round from the low ready & double taps from the low ready moving from 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 yards. I fell in love halfway through the session. With the amazingly smooth 7.5lb DA, enough size to be “shootable” & great sights this is a serious personal defense pistol. I had no problem keeping everything in the 8 inch circle. 320 more rounds to go before hitting the “thumbs up” 1k round mark. At this point I’m confident that it will be a success and also a lot of fun. It’s a joy shooting this revolver because I shoot very well with it easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to hit the range over the weekend and get to my “1k Round Good to Go” mark with my K6 as I’ll be traveling. I was ripped, snorting and ready to roll but it’s going to have to wait a week.

Another thing I’m noticing with this revolver is how I’m able to get a higher grip with this revolver. It feels and looks like it’s sinking deeper in my hand and the bore axis is lower than any other revolvers. I’m sure this contributes to the overall “amazingly sweet shooting” experience. I don’t know if there is a method of measuring this and quantify it. If someone knows please give me a heads up.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Look at the pics of the J- and K-frames on the previous page. The grip on the Kimber extends just above the centerline of the cylinder, while the backstrap of the J and K end just below the centerline. Probably 1/4 inch or a little more difference.

It turns out that the change to the frame made to accommodate the locks will bump that up. The corner on a Centennial J-frame is in approximately the same place with respect to the trigger as that corner on a soul-leaking K-frame. With the right grip design on either, they should be similar to the Kimber in this detail.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    ...Another thing I’m noticing with this revolver is how I’m able to get a higher grip with this revolver. It feels and looks like it’s sinking deeper in my hand and the bore axis is lower than any other revolvers. I’m sure this contributes to the overall “amazingly sweet shooting” experience. I don’t know if there is a method of measuring this and quantify it. If someone knows please give me a heads up.
    That's the beauty of hammerless -- higher grip equals better recoil management.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    No reason grips couldn't be fabricated for a Centennial J-frame or spurless K-frame to extend the gripping surface even higher above the corner of the frame, but at some point, you end up compromising concealability and doing other awkward things to the trigger finger.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I would love to see one with an external hammer. If it was reliable, it very well could be come my main CCW.

I know it's a DAO with a longer trigger pull, but I still prefer a way to manually inhibit trigger movement. I am just OCD like that.

When I first heard about these a couple years back my response was, "Meh."

I knew Grant was involved in its development, but I'm so committed to S&W and thought it filled a niche I just didn't really care about.

I got to fondle two of them at a local shop today and the decision is made...I WANT ONE!

It handles like a 640-1 with WAY better sights and has a buttery smooth trigger. The fit and finish was better than what I've seen from S&W in the last few years...and by gollly it manages to hold 6 rounds.

Now I just need to find one for a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Look at the pics of the J- and K-frames on the previous page. The grip on the Kimber extends just above the centerline of the cylinder, while the backstrap of the J and K end just below the centerline. Probably 1/4 inch or a little more difference.

It turns out that the change to the frame made to accommodate the locks will bump that up. The corner on a Centennial J-frame is in approximately the same place with respect to the trigger as that corner on a soul-leaking K-frame. With the right grip design on either, they should be similar to the Kimber in this detail.
    Check out the pics below of the 642 and the K6 for comparison. The K6 frame/grip design allows for a higher grip and a lower bore axis and to me definitely feels like it sinks deeper in my hand. Check out where the top of the grip ends on both revolvers.

User Tag List