Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimber's reputation blinding us to an excellent choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    The K6 is a beautiful revolver... and there is a verygood chance it will be my next revolver purchase ( or a 686 +) ... This SP101 is next to the best I have owned , I have actually refused to accept a couple that were below par..one had a cylinder drag , the other a must have been a Friday afternoon gun , being it had horrible tooling marks ... Stuff happens...No gun company is perfect... I'm glad to here your Kimber is working out for you , and that , if they had birthing pains , they are subsiding .. Im hoping that Ruger will produce a six shot LCR357 or a figure out how to squeeze a extra .357 hole in the SP101 ...
    I lean toward semiauto pistols as my carry guns , but revolvers will be always be in the mix ..
    I've heard this said before and it makes a lot of sense to me, "This is the revolver that Ruger or S&W should have made." The K6 is a very purposely designed revolver intentionally built for portability, action smoothness, capacity and power. Love my S&Ws but when I buy a new revolver I shouldn't have to pitch the factory springs and replace them with aftermarket for a decent action. I imagine it would be easier for Ruger to make something like the K6 rather than S&W but I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    I've heard this said before and it makes a lot of sense to me, "This is the revolver that Ruger or S&W should have made." The K6 is a very purposely designed revolver intentionally built for portability, action smoothness, capacity and power. Love my S&Ws but when I buy a new revolver I shouldn't have to pitch the factory springs and replace them with aftermarket for a decent action. I imagine it would be easier for Ruger to make something like the K6 rather than S&W but I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.
    I agree 100% ...

I just wanted to bump this thread and check in with anyone here who has a K6s. I wanted to see if anyone has 2,000+ rounds through the guns yet, and if there are any serious known issues besides what was previously reported about firing pin breakage.
    Last edited by Scal; 06-16-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Site Supporter
    I hope someone can fill in here with some good news. Cabela's was running a special on the standard K6s this weekend, which means my local Sportsman's warehouse matched it and a K6s followed me home. I will start putting rounds through it hopefully this Sunday. I am also dry firing it, (this is the best stock revolver trigger I have ever felt) but I am being sure to use a zoom snap caps to cushion the firing pin.

Have a K6s 2" with night sights. It shoots very well and a joy to carry. Several hundred rounds of Magnum and +P 38s and no problems. Have Hogue G10s on it for grips, they need to be just a bit fatter.

I’m interested in the “control core” grips that Kimber is coming out with. They are supposed to be selling the grips separately from the guns at some point, but right now, they also decided to release a 2” and 3” models with those grips as separate sku guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Scal View Post
    I’m interested in the “control core” grips that Kimber is coming out with. They are supposed to be selling the grips separately from the guns at some point, but right now, they also decided to release a 2” and 3” models with those grips as separate sku guns.
    Interesting - I hadn’t heard of those. I’d be interested in checking them out for my 3”.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

kimber - too much sizzle and not enuf beef, and at primo NY steak prices.

for me and revolvers it's smith or ruger. well, mostly smith. nah, all smith. ymmv.

Site Supporter
    I used to think this exact same thing until I started trying to find someone to put some decent combat sights on my S&W 442. After all was said and done I would have been close if not over the price of the kimber and that is before I get rid of the lock and put and the apex goodies. If I go with the 640 pro, still down a round to the kimber. The only thing that smith or ruger out do the kimber on is weight. Shooting the snubbers at 25 yards this weekend on steel I was very easily able to hit with the kimber. The S&W wasn't too bad, but it is so much harder to see the sights. I was also impressed on how well it handled 125 grain 357 rounds, however I would never carry them as you don't really get anything except extra recoil. It was nice to know however that if in a pinch I needed to use .357 ammo it would not be unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    kimber - too much sizzle and not enuf beef, and at primo NY steak prices.

for me and revolvers it's smith or ruger. well, mostly smith. nah, all smith. ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    I used to think this exact same thing until I started trying to find someone to put some decent combat sights on my S&W 442. After all was said and done I would have been close if not over the price of the kimber and that is before I get rid of the lock and put and the apex goodies. If I go with the 640 pro, still down a round to the kimber. The only thing that smith or ruger out do the kimber on is weight. Shooting the snubbers at 25 yards this weekend on steel I was very easily able to hit with the kimber. The S&W wasn't too bad, but it is so much harder to see the sights. I was also impressed on how well it handled 125 grain 357 rounds, however I would never carry them as you don't really get anything except extra recoil. It was nice to know however that if in a pinch I needed to use .357 ammo it would not be unbearable.
    i hear ya on all accounts. i haven't found the perfect box stock snubby yet, probably won't in what's left of my lifetime. for me, the 642 is fine, but it'd definitely be better if the front sight could be swapped out. i've got a dot of orange paint on it, which i added from day one. i have a few more things to experiment with, short of taking it to a smith.

User Tag List