Thread: Grip Force Adapter and Gen4 Glocks: not in spec?

Question Grip Force Adapter and Gen4 Glocks: not in spec?

I have been using the Grip Force Adapter (GFA) with my Gen 3 Glocks for a while now without any problems. I have been moving over to the Gen4 MOS Glocks and using the Gen4 specified GFA kits. In several instances, the GFA pins that secures the grip has been slipping out of only my Gen4 guns. Changing pins did not really help. I hate to change my grip after all these years, but I am phasing out all my Gen3 guns slowly. Is the GFA going on the path of the Dodo bird? Should I start thinking about learning to use the Glock OEM backstraps? I loved the GFA because it was cheap and did what I wanted, but these are carry guns so they have to be reliable.

I think (and I'm 100% sure) that if you cut a Gen 4 backstrap in half it will yield about the same grip feel/angle of a GFA

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I think (and I'm 100% sure) that if you cut a Gen 4 backstrap in half it will yield about the same grip feel/angle of a GFA

Yep. I use a GFA on my one 3rd gen, all my other Glocks (except my 26) have the backstrap cut down.

Just find a good spot that compares to the GFA, cut in between the texture lines, smooth it out and you’re good. It’s way more secure than the GFA because there’s more surface area around the pins.

I have several Gen 4 Glocks with GFA’s and no issues. It’s my preferred setup. I even put a GFA on my 19X. I haven’t had pins slide out but I hit the ends of each with a light file or sandpaper.

I went cheap and cut my medium back straps 6 "dots" down. That gives me the beaver tail that I'm after, yet doesn't add the bulk to the grip(which is why I prefer gen4, thinner grip). I tried cutting the large backstrap first, but it created a shelf that would irritate my hand when I was dry firing. I never went to the range with the cut large back strap.

Name:  IMG_20180527_145218568.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  59.5 KB

I've been pleased with, and am currently using the medium beavertail OEM Glock backstrap with my Gen4 G22. Nicely spreads recoil a bit, and reduces trigger sting.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    I went cheap and cut my medium back straps 6 "dots" down. That gives me the beaver tail that I'm after, yet doesn't add the bulk to the grip(which is why I prefer gen4, thinner grip). I tried cutting the large backstrap first, but it created a shelf that would irritate my hand when I was dry firing. I never went to the range with the cut large back strap.

Name:  IMG_20180527_145218568.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  59.5 KB
    Did the same thing on my G17 I use for work. Love it, best of both worlds, smaller grip and no slide bite.

Maybe not germane but I use the medium Glock blackstrap with the Talon grip adaptor on my GEN 4 Model 19. Currently that setup works very well for me. Thinking about modding the grip via stippling but no real experience with that as of yet.

User Tag List