Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shovels

I've got a vintage wood handle Ames GI shovel that is about the minimum in usefulness. I have a tri-fold Gerber that is smaller than a GI and would suck for most things, but it's mainly for very minor trail maintenance such as filling holes that will break ankles.

If you really need to dig a vehicle out, buy a real D handle like @Tom Jones recommended.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    I keep a plain ol' GI folding E-Tool in the truck.
    This.

Site Supporter
    I'm not a fan of the GI trifold. I like the old school wooden handled GI shovels. I also like the Cold Steel Spetnatz, but it's less unfun to break up hard dirt with the pick of the GI shovel.

I almost bought one of those short d-handles the last time I was at the hardware store. Might buy one next trip.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

I run folding E-tool in wife's car, cold steel shovel in my truck. Once winter rolls around I also carry a full size shovel in the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I've had the Cold Steel Russian shovels for years. You all know that you can throw and stick them just like a tomahawk don't you?
    Buy a bundle of spare handles if this is your pleasure - you will break the handle sooner or later...
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

If you think you may actually use it for snow or mud, you may consider getting something larger than a tri-fold or other packable shovel. Kinda like carrying the most capable pistol you can conceal instead of a derringer.

This one, https://www.barebonesliving.com/stor...n-tools/shovel, should fit comfortably in most trunks. I have room for a standard D-handle spade, so that's what I have in my vehicle.

If you just have too much money in your pocket, then: https://krazybeavertools.com/collections/frontpage
    Last edited by krax; 06-18-2018 at 02:32 PM.

I'll never shovel snow again, but for those that might get stuck in it one of these will be way better than GI.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond...SIN=B017P3MEE4
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    I keep a plain ol' GI folding E-Tool in the truck.
    Have one of these in the back of the PPV. That and a roll of Scotts have gotten me through some "personal emergencies" in the lesser developed portions of the County while serving civil processes.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 06-18-2018 at 03:03 PM.

I've used the folding US e-tool and the Soviet version. Both were developed for infantry to carry, so they're short and light, with somewhat reduced functionality. I prefer a proper D-handled shovel to either of them, especially if you're looking at a really nasty digging job.

The Soviet shovel takes a good edge and is harder to break, but you can use the US e-tool as a field toilet. Dig your cat hole, turn the blade 90 degrees to the handle, then rest the handle on the ground with the blade parallel to the ground. Rest one butt cheek on the blade and cantilever the other one out into nothing, then bomb the rail yards.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Shovels

... deleted ..
    Last edited by critter; 06-18-2018 at 06:55 PM. Reason: wrong forum area for comedy hour
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

User Tag List