Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilson trigger bar lifespan ?

Wilson trigger bar lifespan ?

Forgive the question.

2 of my Wilson trigger bar guns are getting a bit of hiccup in the DA pull. Round count in both cases is 2k ish.

Neither of these guns needed the bar fit/stoned in any way and functioned with buttery smoothness from day one until lately.

So my carry gun is nearing the same round count and still utterly smooth. Can I expect it will get a hiccup soon as well?

If one gently stones a gritty bar until smooth - does that solve it from now on or will the problem arise again?

Thanks for the input

If it matters the 2 gritty Guns have elite II hammers. Carry gun has a spurless Allegheny arms
    Last edited by Duke; 06-17-2018 at 06:53 AM.

I bought a used 92A1 with a Wilson trigger bar installed (by Wilson as part of an action job) that was said to have had 4000 rounds on it and I've fired another 3000 myself and I haven't noticed anything unusual about the trigger pull. It also has an Elite II hammer. I have another 92 that has a Wilson trigger bar but it only has a few hundred rounds through it. What does 'hiccup' mean?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberiad View Post
    I bought a used 92A1 with a Wilson trigger bar installed (by Wilson as part of an action job) that was said to have had 4000 rounds on it and I've fired another 3000 myself and I haven't noticed anything unusual about the trigger pull. It also has an Elite II hammer. I have another 92 that has a Wilson trigger bar but it only has a few hundred rounds through it. What does 'hiccup' mean?
    A slight but always present sticking point as the hammer arcs back. Happens at about 2/3 through the DA trigger pull

Is it possible the trigger bar is moving outward slightly when the trigger is pulled and rubbing up against the right grip panel? I did polish the inside of the trigger bar (the part that faces the frame) I installed with a stone and then Flitz but I can't tell much of a difference.

What mainspring do you use? Have you tried a different one?

2k is an absurdly short lifespan for a part that is supposed to last longer than the factory part. I'd suspect something else is going on other than the trigger bar, although what exactly, I can't say.

Even the stock trigger bar shouldn’t be failing at that kind of round count. Are there any burrs on the rear part of the frame? Any issues with the trigger bar spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trigger springs in all cases is Wilson 14LB. Trigger pull is the same with and without the grips installed. The trigger bars aren’t rubbing the grip panel. All is in the same order as day one when they were all smooth.

I too think 2k is very short for a hardened part to begin getting burrs from use. Some small imperfections in the engagement surface can be seen.

My hope is someone will ring in (with 1000’s more Rounds on their gun) and say it’s just wear in.
    Last edited by Duke; 06-17-2018 at 12:36 PM.

FWIW I’ve got 9k on the Wilson trigger bar in my main practice gun. No hiccups in the trigger pull to date. The finish on the frame where the trigger bar rubs is completely worn off.

Can you carefully pull the trigger with the slide and right side grip off (catching the hammer) and see if you can identify where it’s occurring?

Edit.
    Last edited by Duke; 06-17-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    FWIW I’ve got 9k on the Wilson trigger bar in my main practice gun. No hiccups in the trigger pull to date. The finish on the frame where the trigger bar rubs is completely worn off.

Can you carefully pull the trigger with the slide and right side grip off (catching the hammer) and see if you can identify where it’s occurring?

It looks to be as the hammer, trigger bar and hammer strut all align. Is it possible that I’m feeling the hammer strut compress the spring and it’s just now causing the spring to catch slightly?

Hammer struts has a smooth portion rubbed in to them
    Last edited by Duke; 06-17-2018 at 12:53 PM.

User Tag List