Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Food intolerance/allergies

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Banana's and Avocado's will give me bad stomach cramps and my body will attempt to get rid of it out of the nearest convenient exit point. Kiwi fruit and Figs will also have similar results. Oddly - this does not occur when the food has been cooked - I can eat banana bread without worry.
    My allergist had my try cooked bananas because the heat destroys whatever it is that causes the allergy. It worked, and I can eat cooked bananas. Its amazing how much sugar comes out of a banana when you fry or bake it. I don't know if this solution crosses over to the other related foods or not. I'm not sure how appealing cooked avocado would be. I used to love sliced avocado with a little salt.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    My allergist had my try cooked bananas because the heat destroys whatever it is that causes the allergy. It worked, and I can eat cooked bananas. Its amazing how much sugar comes out of a banana when you fry or bake it. I don't know if this solution crosses over to the other related foods or not. I'm not sure how appealing cooked avocado would be. I used to love sliced avocado with a little salt.
    Bananas foster....mmmmm.

Site Supporter
    We were taught that hydrolysis and fermentation were the only two processes that altered allergens sufficiently to prevent symptoms. That's in agreement with the fact that heat does not deactivate some bacterial toxins. Regardless, this area is or was one not fully understood. I remember this from an inservice and may have misstated some of it. The message, though, is not to assume.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    We were taught that hydrolysis and fermentation were the only two processes that altered allergens sufficiently to prevent symptoms. That's in agreement with the fact that heat does not deactivate some bacterial toxins. Regardless, this area is or was one not fully understood. I remember this from an inservice and may have misstated some of it. The message, though, is not to assume.
    If the allergen is a protein it's quite possible for it to be heat-inactivated, depending on the antigenic epitope + quarternary structure. but yes, if the stakes are anaphylaxis, best to not do too much experimenting.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 06-18-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Site Supporter
    100% lactose intolerant. Fun fact, most medication uses lactose as a binder. Kinda kills taking meds at bedtime. (Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill together)

Cilantro. It tastes like dirty socks to me anyway. That family also includes fenugreek.

Nightshades. No tomatoes, peppers or eggplant. Did you know that store bought 100% beef broth also contains tomato juice?

Yeah, there are entire countries I can't eat in.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    My future wife has the same issue. If she even takes communion she can get a canker sore.

The good news is she will not be stealing/eating my Pan Dulce.
    We offer a gluten free option at Communion (corn tortilla, I believe).
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I ordered Mac and cheese as a side and she came back and told me they but mustard in their Mac. WTH who puts mustard in Mac and why?
    Many cheese sauces start out as a milk and flour sauce or a roux (butter and flour), so essentially library paste that gets cheese added. I can't think of too many mac and cheese recipies that don't have ground mustard seed (also called mustard flour) to brighten the flavor of the sauce...traditionally acids are used to brighten and finish sauces, but acids do funny things to milk and egg protiens. I believe that all of my cheese souffle recipies also call for ground mustard.

Making it yourself is likely the only way to avoid it, or going with mass produced box stuff. Depending on what specifically you are allergic to it may include many similar or related foods, like certian hearty, bitter greens, horseradish ( including wasabi, which is a very distant relative), brassicas, and others.

Would hate to eat mac and cheese without mustard, paprika, or black pepper. And the best reason to make real mac and cheese is to make deep fried mac and cheese the next day.

pat

Site Supporter
    The combination of heat and pressure should denature any protein. Some toxins though are heat stabile. From the standpoint of food safety, we need to think of it like this: yes, cooking will destroy most toxins but may not destroy all. Said another way, 165 degrees F is the cooking temp for poultry, and 145 degrees F is the cooking temp for beef and pork. Stuffed lobster is 165 F. These temps may not destroy all bacterial toxins. Staph. aureus bacteria produces heat stable toxins, for example. Viruses cause most food borne illness. Poor personal hygiene is the primary cause. Ever noticed the number of people who leave public restrooms without washing hands? Some food workers do the same thing.

Food safety is a giant concern for persons thrust into a survival situation. I can address the basics in a thread if any here is interested.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The combination of heat and pressure should denature any protein. Some toxins though are heat stabile. From the standpoint of food safety, we need to think of it like this: yes, cooking will destroy most toxins but may not destroy all. Said another way, 165 degrees F is the cooking temp for poultry, and 145 degrees F is the cooking temp for beef and pork. Stuffed lobster is 165 F. These temps may not destroy all bacterial toxins. Staph. aureus bacteria produces heat stable toxins, for example. Viruses cause most food borne illness. Poor personal hygiene is the primary cause. Ever noticed the number of people who leave public restrooms without washing hands? Some food workers do the same thing.

Food safety is a giant concern for persons thrust into a survival situation. I can address the basics in a thread if any here is interested.
    I would be interested in that .

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    We offer a gluten free option at Communion (corn tortilla, I believe).
    That's interesting . Are you Catholic?

In the US I mostly see wine and bread offered, but in Mexico it seemed just bread was offered.

User Tag List