Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Food intolerance/allergies

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    Banana,avocado and cantaloupe all make my throat itch horribly, swell slightly and my inner ear itch and swell enough to affect m balance
    Watch out for strawberries and kiwi joining the party, and be careful of latex. I got sensitized to latex by wearing latex gloves on EMS calls for 20+ years. I then developed allergy to avocado, then banana. My allergist tells me that those allergies are related, and often develop after one gets triggered.

Glutten since residency...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Peanuts are serious offenders. As a group seafood has a very large number of items that bring about allergic responses. Wheezing is a big sign of some seafood allergies as are whelps and hives. One of the jobs that I retired from is health inspector. Some places serving seafood don't always buy product from approved sources. The result is that what's on your plate may not be what you think. Also, it may have already been time and temperature abused before you saw it. Bad.

An elementary school allowed its first grade kids to bring snacks from home. Many became ill with allergic response from eating cookies. A child's mother made them with her breast milk. Like many here I ceased becoming surprised at what some people do. Corrections, inner city schools, security work, and working as a health inspector have made me a tad cynical. One of the ladies working in my doctor's office was a former student 25 years ago. Then she told me in class that "momma likes her dick and her dope." I wouldn't eat her cookies either.
    Last edited by willie; 06-17-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Glutten since residency...
    My future wife has the same issue. If she even takes communion she can get a canker sore.

The good news is she will not be stealing/eating my Pan Dulce.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    Watch out for strawberries and kiwi joining the party, and be careful of latex. I got sensitized to latex by wearing latex gloves on EMS calls for 20+ years. I then developed allergy to avocado, then banana. My allergist tells me that those allergies are related, and often develop after one gets triggered.
    That's interesting that they are related.

Banana,avocado and cantaloupe all make my throat itch horribly, swell slightly and my inner ear itch and swell enough to affect m balance
    So, I'm allergic to bananas* and strawberries*. Initially, it was thought to be some enzyme in them - but it turns out it isn't those foods I'm allergic to. It's the pollen in the areas where they are grown. The way those plants are pollinated and where they grow results in cross-contamination of pollen from things I am allergic to. There is now a growing body of evidence that this is what's going on when folks are allergic to these foods. I'm also "allergic" to prickly pear.

South American grown bananas and strawberries from the southwestern US (not California) do not cause me to have an allergic reaction. Anything grown isolated in a greenhouse does not give me an allergic reaction. Many organic forms do not cause me to have allergic reactions, but some do, because "organic" is now a generic term.

man i hope not, its bad enough not being able to eat banana or avocado...no strawberries would push me over the edge

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    So, I'm allergic to bananas* and strawberries*. Initially, it was thought to be some enzyme in them - but it turns out it isn't those foods I'm allergic to. It's the pollen in the areas where they are grown. The way those plants are pollinated and where they grow results in cross-contamination of pollen from things I am allergic to. There is now a growing body of evidence that this is what's going on when folks are allergic to these foods. I'm also "allergic" to prickly pear.

South American grown bananas and strawberries from the southwestern US (not California) do not cause me to have an allergic reaction. Anything grown isolated in a greenhouse does not give me an allergic reaction. Many organic forms do not cause me to have allergic reactions, but some do, because "organic" is now a generic term.
    any idea what the pollen is from that you are allergic to

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Banana's and Avocado's will give me bad stomach cramps and my body will attempt to get rid of it out of the nearest convenient exit point. Kiwi fruit and Figs will also have similar results. Oddly - this does not occur when the food has been cooked - I can eat banana bread without worry.

any idea what the pollen is from that you are allergic to
    I wish I knew. According to the various allergy cross-reaction charts - It's probably ragweed - https://www.allergy-clinic.co.uk/all...ergy-syndrome/

I'm for sure very allergic to ragweed.

One way to test for OAS (Oral Allergy Syndrome) is to cook the things you're allergic to. For instance, cooked or dried bananas are perfectly palatable (and delicious) for me.

User Tag List