Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Food intolerance/allergies

Site Supporter
    To echo what Nephrology said, I would be very cautious about counting on heat to inactivate food allergens. There are a ton of variables here. One of the proteins I previously worked with (neither a food allergen nor a toxin) could be boiled and still retained most of it's biological activity. Every protein is different. Also, it's possible that two people could be allergic to different parts of the same protein with heat destroying one epitope but not the other.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    That's interesting . Are you Catholic?

In the US I mostly see wine and bread offered, but in Mexico it seemed just bread was offered.
    United Methodist
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I'm intolerant of food I consider bad. Fortunately that is a low bar for me. Anyone want to share my Chicken in a Biskit crackers with Sharp Cheddar Cheese Wow! on them? (Made with Real Cheese it says.)
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Many cheese sauces start out as a milk and flour sauce or a roux (butter and flour), so essentially library paste that gets cheese added. I can't think of too many mac and cheese recipies that don't have ground mustard seed (also called mustard flour) to brighten the flavor of the sauce...traditionally acids are used to brighten and finish sauces, but acids do funny things to milk and egg protiens. I believe that all of my cheese souffle recipies also call for ground mustard.

Making it yourself is likely the only way to avoid it, or going with mass produced box stuff. Depending on what specifically you are allergic to it may include many similar or related foods, like certian hearty, bitter greens, horseradish ( including wasabi, which is a very distant relative), brassicas, and others.

Would hate to eat mac and cheese without mustard, paprika, or black pepper. And the best reason to make real mac and cheese is to make deep fried mac and cheese the next day.

pat
    That is very helpful. Normally I know the reason I feel bad after good Mac and cheese and that's good old fashion gluttony.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I'm intolerant of food I consider bad. Fortunately that is a low bar for me. Anyone want to share my Chicken in a Biskit crackers with Sharp Cheddar Cheese Wow! on them? (Made with Real Cheese it says.)
    I think that means it was made in the vicinity of real cheese.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Only if you promise not to ask to share my Dunkaroos

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Chocolate, and tomatoes (no, not at the same time). While I don’t get especially sick, even a very small amount moves things south in a hurry. Course I don’t particularly like either of them anyway, so I can usually avoid it. Except I do like pizza...I just have to eat it at home.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    We offer a gluten free option at Communion (corn tortilla, I believe).
    We have loaves of bread and rice crackers and an alternative for those that can't tolerate, or prefer not to eat wheat, and because we have such a strong 12 step membership in the congregation, grape juice is used in lieu of wine. We are Presbyterian.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Only if you promise not to ask to share my Dunkaroos
    Currently Unavailable
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Literally the exact face I made when I saw that too

I'm allergic to all shellfish. It sucks.

My reaction varies. Shrimp seems to be my kryptonite, just being in the kitchen when someone is cooking it will make me feel nauseous.

I have no problem with fish.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

User Tag List