Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure Washers ?

Site Supporter

Pressure Washers ?

So we have done chain saws and lawn implements how about pressure washers ?

Any reason for an occasional home user to get gas vs electric ?

Use will be medium duty / cleaning only, not looking to strip paint etc

Looking at this Ryobi - 1.2 gallons per minute and 2300 PSI.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-2-...2300/300405751

Any reason NOT to get this vs the cheaper 1700 psi models ?

How important is the GPM - it seems most of the med gas models push 2.0 GPM or more.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-16-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Define your needs first. I picked up the Harbor Freight 1750PSI electric one, but I have two portable generators and am not in need of something stronger.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Define your needs first. I picked up the Harbor Freight 1750PSI electric one, but I have two portable generators and am not in need of something stronger.
    Needs are general household use, washing decks, driveway, brick house exterior, eaves, etc

One thing I noticed is some electric models are not recommended for use with bleach, only soap.

I have this one at my shop and it works great. It gets used 2 to 3 times a week and has been going solid for over a year. I've used it at home to do the sidewalks and stonework. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks-...her/1000328525

How many square feet of whatever are you washing, how often?

I do a lot and am sort-of wishing I’d gone to the 4000 psi ‘pro’ grade units.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    We have two RYOBI electric models. One stays at house and one stays at boat. This one is at the boat - https://www.ryobitools.com/products/...ressure-washer - works great for cleaning the boat. We have the wheeled 1700 psi one at house. For occasional household use - they are great. I typically do not use any soap like cleaners and just use the water.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Any reason for an occasional home user to get gas vs electric ?

Use will be medium duty / cleaning only, not looking to strip paint etc

Any reason NOT to get this vs the cheaper 1700 psi models ?
    I had the 1700 psi Ryobi. It pumped water fine, but I couldn't get it to hang onto the lube in the gear housing. Last time I used it, I spent most of a day cleaning my stone patio and driveway. The low volume was easy to control, but it was slow. Ended up dropping it off at the Goodwill.

Was discussing the mechanical problems with a friend who had discontinued use of an old Troy-Bilt gas unit because he couldn't get it to start. He gave it to me for the price off hauling it away from his house. The carb was varnished up so badly the float was glued in the down position, so it leaked gas out the carb vent when I put some in the tank. $42 on Amazon got me a brand new carb for the Briggs. Put it on and poured some gas in, it fired right up.

Got the "surface cleaning disc" and went after the patio. (It appears the same unit is private labeled for several brands, but I spent a couple more bucks than the Amazon price so if it crapped out while I was using it, I could warranty it at the Home Depot that's five minutes from my house.) VAST increase in speed. Got the whole patio and a big chunk of the driveway done in just a couple hours. Would be well worth the upgrade in cost over the Ryobi if I'd actually paid the normal price for the system. At any rate, if you're going to clean pavement with it, get a machine with enough azz to be able to run a surface cleaning disc. You'll save time and water, and it actually does a much better job than the skinny nozzles.

I also bought a chunk of new fuel line and a fuel shutoff valve for the gas washer, so I can run the gas out of the carb before storage. And I only leave ethanol-free gas in the tank.

I'm all Honda four-stroke for lawn stuff, and the gas I don't use in the string trimmer gets dumped in the mower tank each week.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 06-17-2018 at 01:09 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I have an older, large Honda unit that I bought used. I discovered that I need all the umph when removing stains from brick. My house is 50 years old and may have more mildew than yours. I never have used soap, and I definitely would not use bleach, which would degrade the equipment and may be troublesome in other ways. I learned the hard way that mine if not adjusted correctly will remove the paint from vehicles.

I just purchased a Ryboi 2000 at Home Depot a couple of weeks ago for $179.00. It's my first pressure washer and I did much as you are doing, I started a thread on a regional gun forum for suggestions and experiences.

My perceived use is for washing decks and siding, & occasionally the cars. I finally got to use it this past week and it works great, for my needs. Very easy to set up and use, and stores in a fairly compact manner.

https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-RY14190.../dp/B01I47JVWS

I've rented or borrowed gas powered units before in the same psi range. I went with the electric for easier upkeep and storage, at least they are so imho.

Looking at Home Depot's website this morning it's possible the 2300 has supplanted the 2000? IDK...

If you go with gas that runs off a hose you need at least your water at 70PSI or higher at the tap.

If you have a occasional project that requires a gas pressure washer, it's always cheaper to rent one or hire a professional with a good gas pressure washer to do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Snow-Joe-SPX3...un+joe+spx3000

I have this one. It's not great, but for road salt off of cars in the winter and the annual patio and sidewalk cleaning it's been fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For washing sidewalks, a longer lance will save you a lot of back ache.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List