Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case Lube Stickiness - my weekly question, I guess...

Case Lube Stickiness - my weekly question, I guess...

Ok- question of the week....I know, I know....
    I haven't used case lube in the past- but have been reading- how case lube needs to be used, which is good. No reason I hadn't used it in the past, but since it really seems needed and I want to be a knowledgeable reloader- figured, time to start using case lube.

So- sprayed it on the brass, rolled the brass around, waited a few minutes and cranked up the 650.

I always like to check my first few powder tosses and they were a bit light- which isn't typical. What I noticed is that not all the powder is coming out of the brass- some is staying stuck to the inside of the sides of the brass. Obviously- this will throw off my weight to the low side.

My assumption is that I probably didn't wait long enough for the brass to dry from the case lube- so I am going to eat dinner and try again in 30 minutes.

Do you use case lube? And- have you noticed something like this in the past? I am off by about 0.3 grains- which seems like its sticking.

I really appreciate all the patience you guys are showing- and unless you want to come visit for the weekend- I don't have many other ways to learn other than YouTube (shudder).

Thanks again and sorry.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

I use Hornady One Shot case lube.

The lanolin based Dillon lube is super sticky and I only use it for the trim/resize step in 5.56 case prep. Then those cases get cleaned.

No worries dude. Glad to help. Reloading isn’t as intuitive as people think.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-16-2018 at 08:35 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    I do not use case lube for pistol loading - use carbide sizing die though (Dillon 550 and Square Deal). I have used case lube for pistol to see if it was "better" and it does make loading slightly easier but I choose to skip lubing for pistol.

Ranger is right that you don’t need lube in 9mm reloading. But there are good reasons to use it: A smoother stroke and less sticking at the powder drop. I can easily load 1000 per hour, and case lube helps.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-16-2018 at 08:43 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I use Hornady One Shot case lube.

The lanolin based Dillon lube is super sticky and I only use it for the trim/resize step in 5.56 case prep. Then those cases get cleaned.

No worries dude. Glad to help. Reloading isn’t as intuitive as people think.
    Thank you- you have been a big help. I’ll try to figure out how to mail a piece of my wife’s lasagna.
    I think I have a tendency to overthink things and I really enjoy reloading. The manuals are great but a lot of this is learn as you go.

On another note- after my resizing/depriming die adjustment- all 65 rounds passed case gauge.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

I use Farnkford Arsenal case lube for handgun (9mm). It definitely makes for a smoother handloading process.

This is not the best pic, but one I have handy. I make sure all of my brass is laying on it's side, give the Frankford Arsenal lube a good shake, and then spray the approximately 100 pieces of brass the 5 gallon bucket head holds. Having the brass lying on it's side prevents the lube from getting inside the brass to prevent the situation you mentioned. The lube is pretty dry within 5 minutes.

The Hornady One Shot is what I use for 5.56 as well. Good stuff! But the Frankford works out cheaper for bulk 9mm handloading.

When using the Dillon lube spray it in empty gallon plastic storage bag, through brass in and mix it around. Spraying directly on the cases lends the lube to getting in the case and primer pockets. I use the Dillon lube and never clean it off, I just shoot it, no issues.

Site Supporter
    For rifle, I use the Frankford Arsenal spray case lube. I take a cheap plastic grocery bag, put the brass in the bag, spray some lube in there, shake and mix it up, let dry. My rifle reloading area typically has multiple bags of lubed rifle brass waiting to load (the brass is sized and trimmed and prep'd before lube).
    Last edited by ranger; 06-17-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Lubricating pistol cases and lubricating rifle cases are two completely different scenarios. Lubricate pistol cases with Hornady one shot for easier sizing. It dries nicely - but don’t overdo it.

Lubricate rifle cases with a lanolin type lube that stays greasy. It is easy to make your own with 12 parts isopropyl alcohol to one part clear liquid lanolin. Clean off the lube after sizing. Using a dry lube like one shot will likely lead to cases stuck in your sizing die.

Do not interchange them.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 06-17-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    I’ve never used a case lube with pistol sizing, just got carbide sizing dies. Maybe I’ll have to try that.

With rifle cases, I’ve used Lee paste, I’ve used RCBS liquid and a lube rolling pad, and both are a messy pain, but work well. Interested to try out some other methods.

User Tag List