Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tactical Flashlight Retention

I'm signed up for the Low Light Pistol Operator class at the Sig Academy in August so I will be putting the DIY Finger Lanyard to some more testing. I'll be bringing a couple of Malkoff lights fitted with the lanyards.

So far in EDC use and doing some informal testing at the range, they work well. Being able to retain the light without actually gripping it is certainly a major benefit. I also like that I can place the lanyard in the pocket to keep it from catching on anything, positioning it so I can slide my index finger through it when reaching for the light.

Regardless of what you use, practice makes perfect.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 06-17-2018 at 05:03 AM.

Thanks for all your feedback.
    It seems the consensus if for the Thyrm Switchback.
    I have a couple of flashlight holders for my belt so I have been avoiding it because of the pocket clip.
    I have been using the Surefire Combat Ring.
    I guess I'll buy one and give it a try.
    NH Shooter, I love Sig Sauer Academy and have been trying to sign up for the Low Light
    Class for the last 2 years with my son but our schedules never coincide with that class.
    Last edited by TopShot; 06-17-2018 at 05:39 AM.

[QUOTE=Gater;752399]
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Toilet gasket kit o ring of appropriate size for your light/finger

Pretty much that. I got the idea from my Raven P-series clip--took the O-ring off and tried it on my old Surefire E1B...it works well, depending on the radius of the bend in the clip. I'm sure it isn't as safe as the break aways others have discussed, but the pocket clip is a failure point, too. The durometer (hardness) of the ring makes a big difference in usability--my hardware store did not stock any in the same class. I eventually found the equivalent (or pretty close to it) through trial and error and bought a zillion pack. Have them on all of my E series lights and supplied them to friends and teammates (some love it, some are ambivalent, since it does make the light ride differently in the pocket).

Edited to add link to post with pic of ring on E1B (post 667):

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-thread/page67
    Just to clarify, the durometer of O-ring we include with the RCS pocket clip was chosen specifically because it WILL fail BEFORE it breaks or degloves your finger. That was part of the design requirement of the product, because all of us preferred the grenade ring or split-ring retention method, but none of us were comfortable with the idea of what that ring would do if someone got ahold of the light.
    Michael Goerlich
    Owner
    Raven Concealment Systems, LLC
    www.ravenconcealment.com

[QUOTE=RCSMichael;752918]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post

Just to clarify, the durometer of O-ring we include with the RCS pocket clip was chosen specifically because it WILL fail BEFORE it breaks or degloves your finger. That was part of the design requirement of the product, because all of us preferred the grenade ring or split-ring retention method, but none of us were comfortable with the idea of what that ring would do if someone got ahold of the light.
    Good info, thank you, and apologies if my comment appeared directed at the Raven clip--I was referring to how I use the o-rings on the smaller Surefires with an integral metal clip. The RCS clip is good kit; mine has served well on a 6P.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    It's DIY, but works really well for me;

Works fine with larger lights too;
    I too was looking for a retention method that wasn't as bulky as the Thyrm and inspired by your post I did the same thing. Works great! Did a pull test and the clip pops right off with enough pressure so that addresses anyone's issues about it being used against you. Thanks!

Works great doing low light work in the middle of the desert with zero ambient light

Last edited by eb07; 06-22-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    I too was looking for a retention method that wasn't as bulky as the Thyrm and inspired by your post I did the same thing. Works great! Did a pull test and the clip pops right off with enough pressure so that addresses anyone's issues about it being used against you. Thanks!

If you want just a bit more break-away resistance, apply some electrical heat shrink tube on the connector - you can see it in the photo below;

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    If you want just a bit more break-away resistance, apply some electrical heat shrink tube on the connector - you can see it in the photo below;

Awesome! Thanks

Any old ring can be a retention device. The Thyrm Switchback - in addition to being a retention device - allows a two-handed grip while activating the light with the off-hand thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
    Any old ring can be a retention device. The Thyrm Switchback - in addition to being a retention device - allows a two-handed grip while activating the light with the off-hand thumb.

and is very uncomfortable in a pocket ( for me) so that is shy I sold mine... it may work for dome but not for me. The setup I have now does the same thing. I am happy.

and is very uncomfortable in a pocket ( for me) so that is shy I sold mine... it may work for dome but not for me. The setup I have now does the same thing. I am happy.
    I carry my light in a nylon belt pouch (Blue Force Tactical) so the size of the ring isn't an issue for me.

User Tag List