Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta APX Compact and Centurion

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    What's the most small hand friendly pistol in the Beretta full size line-up, APX, PX4, 92/Vertec?
    No real time on the APX (just a few mags) but I find the Vertec grip VERY small hand friendly.
    Just my $.02 opinion.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

I don't have very large hands (but not super tiny either), and having spent time with the APX, 92 Compact, and Px4, I can say without a doubt that the APX is the most friendly to small hands.

I've got enough time behind the APX now to say definitively what think is holding it back, number one by far is the magwell, it's very narrow and has no "ramp" anywhere it's a razor thin margin of error and if you dont nail the initial insertion it's hanging up.
    Number two is the slide stop/release, there's literally nothing to get a purchase on, it's really a slide stop only, BUSA says an extended version was being tested as of a year ago but neither they, nor the aftermarket has come up with a solution, so for all intents and purposes it's a slingshot only pistol, which I hate.
    Number 3 is the mass of the slide, I dont see why it has to be this big and blocky, I mean the grip is the slimmest in the industry and I cant help but think how sweet this thing would be with an equally slim slide, so it makes the full size a duty rig only for the most part, or maybe an off body bag of some sort.
    When I'm running the pistol it works better for me than any other striker, undoubtedly credited to the grip and great trigger, but the other ergonomic issues are big, and believe me they get bigger over time. I'll have the centurion soon but other than dimensionally it will be the same deal.
    Last edited by CanineCombatives; 06-23-2018 at 08:38 PM.

I have not had any issues reaching the slide release and using it as such. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I have not had any issues reaching the slide release and using it as such. Interesting.
    Nor have I. I do use my weak hand thumb for my slide release / slide lock reload.

I had a call with Beretta yesterday, and they’ve got some cool stuff coming out for the APX later this year. One of the things I keep beating them up about is suppressor height sights for the RDO model, and a Centurion length frame that works with the full size slide.

Caleb, have you used a full size or centurion mag in a Compact, or the full size mag in a Centurion, without an adapter? If so, did you have any issues with overinsertion?

Vending Machine Operator
    Beretta is slow. I think that's their biggest flaw. Slow to react to the market and slow to make necessary changes. But, as the maturation of the PX4 and 92 platforms shows, they don't switch models every 2-3 years and over time their platforms become very refined. I have not purchased an APX yet, but I am following the updates and new releases with a lot of excitement.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by CanineCombatives View Post
    I've got enough time behind the APX now to say definitively what think is holding it back, number one by far is the magwell, it's very narrow and has no "ramp" anywhere it's a razor thin margin of error and if you dont nail the initial insertion it's hanging up.
    Number two is the slide stop/release, there's literally nothing to get a purchase on, it's really a slide stop only, BUSA says an extended version was being tested as of a year ago but neither they, nor the aftermarket has come up with a solution, so for all intents and purposes it's a slingshot only pistol, which I hate.
    Number 3 is the mass of the slide, I dont see why it has to be this big and blocky, I mean the grip is the slimmest in the industry and I cant help but think how sweet this thing would be with an equally slim slide, so it makes the full size a duty rig only for the most part, or maybe an off body bag of some sort.
    When I'm running the pistol it works better for me than any other striker, undoubtedly credited to the grip and great trigger, but the other ergonomic issues are big, and believe me they get bigger over time. I'll have the centurion soon but other than dimensionally it will be the same deal.
    It's interesting that you would say this, as I've found almost the opposite to be true. Initially I was very concerned that the slide release/stop wasn't going to be enough for me to work it efficiently, but I did a test where I put as much oil and water and such on my APX to see how the various controls functioned. To my surprise, I found that the slide release on my copy worked all the time, easily, and without significant effort, no matter how slippery or wet. This surprised me because the slide stop doesn't seem to have a lot of texturing on it, and it is low profile. However, at this point I have a great deal of confidence in it under all conditions.

I also find your magwell issues interesting. I personally had the opposite experience. Granted, I don't use any sort of flared magwell extensions or the like, preferring to run my guns stock in that respect, but I find the magwell on the APX the easiest to use out of the semi-autos I've tried, by quite a margin. I found that the APX magwell and magazines hung up less and that I missed the initial insertion point much less compared to when I used Glocks, Px4s, or PPQs. I don't recall enough of the feel of the P30L or M&Ps that I've shot to recall how they compared. I think the main difference is that I find the thinner grip more intuitive to align to the magazine with less effort than the other guns, where it feels like it takes significantly more mental effort to get the grip aligned properly.

I haven't had any major issues with concealing the slide of the APX either AIWB or 3 - 4 o'clock, but I do understand how some people feel that the slide is bulky. However, it's just not a big issue for me, and I find that it's my favorite slide profile, now, since it is so easy to use and work with. The thinner, lower profile CZ and Steyr style slides have given me trouble in the past, and the larger, taller profile Sig/HK/Walther type slides I've used haven't been as nice. I guess I'm just not that sensitive to the size of slides like some people. It just doesn't seem like there is really that much difference between one or the other in concealability (of full-sized duty guns, that is) that can be attributed to the slide profile/shape/size.

User Tag List