Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Week 273: Dot Torture

Hammertime
    I work this drill usually once a Range session. Many times my SHO shooting is the problem.

I am at the point after a lot of practice that I can clean 5 yards at least 50% of the time. Working on 7 which I have never cleaned.

9mm 1911 today:

I noticed that the tinier sight picture at seven actually seemed to improve my concentration and performance to a point. The misses on Draw and fire 2/2 were all aiming errors, while the other missed were trigger control/flinch errors.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I work this drill usually once a Range session. Many times my SHO shooting is the problem.

I am at the point after a lot of practice that I can clean 5 yards at least 50% of the time. Working on 7 which I have never cleaned.

9mm 1911 today:

I noticed that the tinier sight picture at seven actually seemed to improve my concentration and performance to a point. The misses on Draw and fire 2/2 were all aiming errors, while the other missed were trigger control/flinch errors.
    Have done this twice more at 7 with same results: 43 each time.

Site Supporter
    Name:  488A938C-DA91-4F24-A682-0C56F986B3B4.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  42.8 KB
    Name:  0C3CF0F9-0525-4D9F-AB02-C2A98B78F920.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  44.7 KB

I do this regularly. I have spent an awful lot of ammunition on it, and I have finally gotten to the point I feel like I need to work farther than three yards with most guns now.

This is the first time I cleaned it at 5 yards, and I did it twice, once with my G26.3, and once with my 4516-1. There is a 5 shot group of .22 in the Dot Torture words on both targets. I use a typical target count: if the grease ring touches the edge of a scoring area, it counts. There is one hole on dot 8 on both sheets that may not be clear in the photos, but does touch the ring.

The first time I cleaned this target at 3 yards was with the 4516-1’s little brother, a 3913. I pretty consistently clean it at 3 now, unless I get stupid.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    First 50 out of the new G19.5
    3 yards
    49/50 Fail. Grease ring is touching the black on the miss. I should have center punched that shot.

Attachment 27475

Attachment 27476
    If I’m scoring a target at a match, that one counts. It breaks the line.

Site Supporter
    P30 with Trijicon HD
    JMCK AIWB gear with cover t-shirt
    Lawman 115

Another try cleaning this at 10 yards. Close at 49/50, but failed after dropping one of the support hand shots. Two other shots were marginal, and I was generous.

Name:  IMG_1449.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  51.3 KB

I've shot this drill for a couple of years now and use it as an introduction to new guns as well as a final drill after a long range session.

I'm pushed back to 5-6 yards now as I was cleaning it at 3 most all of the time.

This was my best to date....... Sig P320 Carry, Bravo concealment IWB, S&B 124 grain FMJ, Ameriglo sights ala carte with the orange square and blacked out, wide notch rears. 5 yard line.

Name:  IMG_1412.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  32.0 KB

This is when I slow down to a crawl and really put total focus into the press.....particularly dot 8 with the left hand only. Usually, I'm 48/50 on this at the 5 and 6 but this day, I was "on" with my press. Total surprises with nearly every round fired. If I speed up just a little, I toss a couple.

I really prefer the orange dots to the ones I used to print out at the house in black and white. I need to start running this with par times to add that stress to it.

Regards.

Been meaning to start shooting DOTW again. Barely made the cut off. Just happened to remember at the range yesterday.

Haven’t shot this in a long time and never with Da/SA.
    CZ p-09 from Uspsa gear. 3yd - 43/50 FAIL. Still was happy though - much better than I remember shooting it and I totally shot with a speed impulse in my head a few times. Will shoot again soon and take my time. Some of you guys are pretty impressive.

Name:  60F8DD95-F98F-4732-B20A-38B4F0FBAF5C.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  69.2 KB
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

All the repetition on this drill leads to boredom for me. Also, I question whether taking unlimited time on this many shots, leads to mental baggage that needs to be unwound when you shoot with time constraints.

I have adopted a mini version of it, that involves five shots freestyle to the one inch square at 7 yards, and five shots each strong and support hand to the two inch dot at 7 yards. That works the trigger control this drill is aimed at, avoids boredom, conserves ammo and training time, and doesn’t get me in the place I feel I need lots of time to make an accurate shot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    All the repetition on this drill leads to boredom for me. Also, I question whether taking unlimited time on this many shots, leads to mental baggage that needs to be unwound when you shoot with time constraints.

I have adopted a mini version of it, that involves five shots freestyle to the one inch square at 7 yards, and five shots each strong and support hand to the two inch dot at 7 yards. That works the trigger control this drill is aimed at, avoids boredom, conserves ammo and training time, and doesn’t get me in the place I feel I need lots of time to make an accurate shot.
    I don’t have he patience to take unlimited time on every shot. I should start timing myself on this drill but I can’t imagine I take more than 10 mins on it. I really only slow down super slow on the single hand stuff. However I am still slow on it. In comparison to the Stoeger dots where I get completely flustered once the beep starts and can’t make hits.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

User Tag List