Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The problem with OEM is that the XTS5000 hit EoL at the end of 2013, with all field support ceasing in 2018. Thus, the OEM batteries, AFAIK, are largely going out of stock, and the ones that remain on the shelf are increasingly getting older. While I plan on getting OEM batteries if possible, aftermarket batteries will increasingly be my only option, and I will be forced to make decisions about balancing presumed OEM quality versus features (e.g., OEM dumb NiMH versus an aftermarket smart Li-Ion). Figured I'd try and get ahead of that curve to see if anyone has had anything good luck with an aftermarket brand; I figured most of them would be garbage, but the technology isn't all that advance, so I figured there's likely a diamond in the rough.
    Did you find any? I happened into a XTS5000… I don’t think the batteries are the same as my XTS3000s.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Did you find any? I happened into a XTS5000… I don’t think the batteries are the same as my XTS3000s.
    General consensus seems to be that the PowerProducts aftermarket stuff is your best bet: https://www.powerproducts.com/search...00-Battery.asp

I plan on trying out their G2G8299 (https://www.powerproducts.com/pc_pro...47C16DE309EAC8), which is a LiPo battery that has the ability to be charged via USB Micro-B. I also ordered a 4 pack of NOS Motorola NNTN6034B off of eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/255758371768 is the current listing, though prices have went up since I ordered), the exact item shipped actually don't match the listing, but for the better (4500 mAh rather than the 4150 mAh listed, as it appears that the specs listed are for the NNTN6034A). Sticker says they're Japanese cells, with assembly in Malaysia. Date codes show that mine were all manufactured in late NOV 2018. I decided on trying the OEM batteries instead of the PowerProducts due to the fact that none of the PowerProducts have formal water resistance ratings, as their IS battery is rated IP60 (LE4007MHXTIS), although older spec sheets show that it was once claimed to be IP64.

I'll also note that the PowerProducts batteries can be found for much cheaper from resellers rather than buying direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    General consensus seems to be that the PowerProducts aftermarket stuff is your best bet: https://www.powerproducts.com/search...00-Battery.asp

I plan on trying out their G2G8299 (https://www.powerproducts.com/pc_pro...47C16DE309EAC8), which is a LiPo battery that has the ability to be charged via USB Micro-B. I also ordered a 4 pack of NOS Motorola NNTN6034B off of eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/255758371768 is the current listing, though prices have went up since I ordered), the exact item shipped actually don't match the listing, but for the better (4500 mAh rather than the 4150 mAh listed, as it appears that the specs listed are for the NNTN6034A). Sticker says they're Japanese cells, with assembly in Malaysia. Date codes show that mine were all manufactured in late NOV 2018. I decided on trying the OEM batteries instead of the PowerProducts due to the fact that none of the PowerProducts have formal water resistance ratings, as their IS battery is rated IP60 (LE4007MHXTIS), although older spec sheets show that it was once claimed to be IP64.

I'll also note that the PowerProducts batteries can be found for much cheaper from resellers rather than buying direct.
    Good info - I’m glad to see they are the same as for my XTS3000s. Thank you!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Not sure if this really fits in this thread, as it's decided not for amateur radio, but I was able to source a KFDShield (https://store.omahacomms.com/product/kfdshield/) and get it up and running. For those on the fence about the complexity of trying to do a keyfill, at least for my XTS 5000s, it was extremely easy, much simpler than trying to deal with the normal programming of my XTS 5000s themselves. It also was cheaper than trying to source a KFDtool (https://store.kfdtool.com/products/k...34635562909861), as the guy behind that is apparently having supply chain issues, and while you can find some floating around, they're either wildly overpriced (though still way cheaper than any OEM keyfill device) or else Chinese clones that lack some of the safety features (primarily to keep from frying your computer or your radio), as those are the parts that the KFDtool is missing right now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Before I do something stupid like wasting money on radios that are either far beyond what I need or just glorified walkie-talkies, is anyone familiar with this book? Is it any good or just something else to separate a sucker from his money?

The Guerrilla's Guide To The Baofeng Radio

Attachment 103253
    Did you just get licensed? If so, QRZ.com has a program where you can get a decent radio for free. IIRC, it's a rebranded TYT, which is just another CCC radio, but the reports so far have been good. There's even an aftermarket battery that can be charged directly via USB.

FWIW, 2mFM simplex can be fun, especially if you can get up to a high point like a mountain.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Legit concern....

I have a nice ziplok freezer bag with holes cut so that my antenna and remote speaker and earphone fit through. #nutinfancy

No... I do not have my TV up on a cinder-block shelf set... my wife won't allow it.
    I don't operate in heavy rain (I don't want to be out in that either radio or not), but I do a lot of SOTA or just backwoods radio stuff in wet weather, snow, etc and haven't found it to be a problem. I do have a waterproof radio, an old Yaesu VX-7 (the very first radio I bought 17 years ago), but my Kenwood TH-D74 holds up just fine as well. But, if I take a radio on my kayak (maritime mobile yo), it's the Yaesu.

My KX2 is as open as they come, yet I've done SOTA activations in the rain with it.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Did you just get licensed?
    Licensed? Ain’t nobody got time for that!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Before I do something stupid like wasting money on radios that are either far beyond what I need or just glorified walkie-talkies, is anyone familiar with this book? Is it any good or just something else to separate a sucker from his money?

The Guerrilla's Guide To The Baofeng Radio
    I have it. Useful resource.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Only thing that Baofeng doesn't offer that I would pay extra for is waterproof HT's
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Hurricanes and Heavy rains are a legit concern for me, and I therefore went with a Yeasu with a waterproof rating
    Extensive use of UV5R and BF8HP in rough outdoor conditions (cold, wet, ranch, construction). No issues. Minimal protections are sufficient for most uses, and at their price point the radios are disposable.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Anyone have a FT-891? I’m considering one as a small home and mobile HF rig. Most of my stuff is QRP, and putting one of these on my desk with an attic antenna is tempting.
    Ken

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Anyone have a FT-891? I’m considering one as a small home and mobile HF rig. Most of my stuff is QRP, and putting one of these on my desk with an attic antenna is tempting.
    I don't have one, but I've been tempted to get one for portable use. They get good reviews and I know a number of SOTA/POTA types who use them. I think it'll be great for your use case.

Chris

User Tag List