Page 5 of 63 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    The very first entry on the list of amateur radio courses is pretty close to me. I'll chat them up and see how that goes. Thanks!
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    The very first entry on the list of amateur radio courses is pretty close to me. I'll chat them up and see how that goes. Thanks!
    I noticed that. As though it were meant to be!

Come on down to Communications Academy in April and we can get together. There's always a large Canadian contingent, and at least one (Tom Cox, VE6TOX) always has a presentation or two.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Another HAM here.

I’ve been out of the game for a long time now. My Yeasu FT60R battery is dead, and I’m kinda over feeding it batteries that die after a few months. Thinking about setting up a mobile unit here to use as a base station and start being a little more active again...

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I noticed that. As though it were meant to be!

Come on down to Communications Academy in April and we can get together. There's always a large Canadian contingent, and at least one (Tom Cox, VE6TOX) always has a presentation or two.
    I've been staring at this site for a while and I can't figure out...do I need to register for this and if so, where? I would definitely like to attend.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I've been staring at this site for a while and I can't figure out...do I need to register for this and if so, where? I would definitely like to attend.
    Registration for Comm Academy usually opens up a month or two before the event. There will be an announcement on that page, and I'll probably post something here.
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Another HAM here.

I’ve been out of the game for a long time now. My Yeasu FT60R battery is dead, and I’m kinda over feeding it batteries that die after a few months. Thinking about setting up a mobile unit here to use as a base station and start being a little more active again...
    Haven't had that problem with my FT60R, but I haven't used it constantly. One of the advantages of that model is that the AA Adapter Pack holds 8 batteries.

I just upgraded, if you can call it that , to a BTech (Baofeng) mobile, the dual band 25 watt model. Has served me well, so far, but it's only bene a month or so. It costs all of $114 on Amazon, just add antenna...
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Another HAM here.

My Alinco handheld battery lasts a few days in the "off" position. A replacement is $50. Not.
    My $30 Baofeng lasts months in my go bag with just the standard battery. And I find the Baofeng easier to program on the fly.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

So I'll be testing to upgrade to Amateur Extra this Saturday. Electrical components and theory are kicking my ass on the hamstudy.org flash cards and practice tests.

But. Yesterday I had to switch my shift from graveyard to days, to attend an emergency planning tabletop exercise, and when first shift saw me walk in hours after they usually see me leave, they asked why I was here. and I said "I had to reverse my polarity for this tabletop..." So maybe I'll be OK after all...
    Glenn Reynolds

So I'll be testing to upgrade to Amateur Extra this Saturday. Electrical components and theory are kicking my ass on the hamstudy.org flash cards and practice tests.

But. Yesterday I had to switch my shift from graveyard to days, to attend an emergency planning tabletop exercise, and when first shift saw me walk in hours after they usually see me leave, they asked why I was here. and I said "I had to reverse my polarity for this tabletop..." So maybe I'll be OK after all...
    Good luck, @Drang! I found the General fairly straightforward to pass, just by studying for Tech. So I tried the Extra exam in the same sitting and got a solid F. I think I scored around 55%. It was all the antenna voodoo that I couldn't figure out.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good luck, @Drang! I found the General fairly straightforward to pass, just by studying for Tech. So I tried the Extra exam in the same sitting and got a solid F. I think I scored around 55%. It was all the antenna voodoo that I couldn't figure out.
    That was my experience as well. I actually scored 100% on the General (high 90s on Tech). I took them over a year apart and spent a few weeks studying for General, but noticed the content was largely the same. When I tried the Extra practice exams, I was a solid F. After looking at what Extra gave me over General, I decided it was not worth the effort for a hobbyist like myself.

Chris

User Tag List