Page 35 of 63 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Here's a more nuanced discussion...
    https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/1321-tone-versus-t-sql/

Quoting Hans... about half way down the page...
    Ok, thanks, looks like this 2-way conversation I'm listening to isn't using tones...at least not right now...

In CHIRP, I set this channel to TSQL (rcvr must get tone to unlock) - Got no traffic, nothing (I can hear traffic if I unlock SQ using the MON key). Channel set to Tone - (Tx uses tone (I am not transmitting), rcvr unlocks on CSQ) - Good 2 way traffic. Channel set to "none" (no tone or TSQL) - Good 2 way traffic.

So I'll leave this CHIRP file set to none and monitor the ARES net until I get some more info on how they operated/whether they actually use NAC codes or not. Appreciate helping me work through this.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Ok, thanks, looks like this 2-way conversation I'm listening to isn't using tones...at least not right now...

In CHIRP, I set this channel to TSQL (rcvr must get tone to unlock) - Got no traffic, nothing (I can hear traffic if I unlock SQ using the MON key). Channel set to Tone - (Tx uses tone (I am not transmitting), rcvr unlocks on CSQ) - Good 2 way traffic. Channel set to "none" (no tone or TSQL) - Good 2 way traffic.

So I'll leave this CHIRP file set to none and monitor the ARES net until I get some more info on how they operated/whether they actually use NAC codes or not. Appreciate helping me work through this.
    There may be others with more direct/varied experiences...

I use the tone or tsql only with repeaters.... Overlapping/Adjoining radio frequencies can be filtered out by preventing them from hitting the repeater by using a tone. I suppose if I was using simplex with a group of users, setting a tone or tsql for both Rx and Tx, and (not announcing it on the radio!!) would help keep other traffic from interrupting your conversations. IIRC, I've only ever used tones on simplex to prove they work...

ETA: Looking at the channel list we're using here.... I do see a few groups of simplex freqs with TSQL set up.... Rarely use them., but, useful if needed.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Heh. Sorry, could not resist. I think I'm going to send that to my wife and freak her out.
    !Ay Caramba! No necesito! MY wife would likely sell me for medical experimentation to a lab.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    There may be others with more direct/varied experiences...

I use the tone or tsql only with repeaters.... Overlapping/Adjoining radio frequencies can be filtered out by preventing them from hitting the repeater by using a tone. I suppose if I was using simplex with a group of users, setting a tone or tsql for both Rx and Tx, and (not announcing it on the radio!!) would help keep other traffic from interrupting your conversations. IIRC, I've only ever used tones on simplex to prove they work
    Hoping @mtnbkr Chris will chime in here. Same experience here, Tone only on repeaters. I've had issues with CHIRP on a Mac OS laptop. Lately RepeaterBook.com allows you to download the list for your locale, which I then edit and move to a micro SD card. Both of my Yaesus have SD slots which seems to work well versus the cable/CHIRP method.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    Hoping @mtnbkr Chris will chime in here. Same experience here, Tone only on repeaters. I've had issues with CHIRP on a Mac OS laptop. Lately RepeaterBook.com allows you to download the list for your locale, which I then edit and move to a micro SD card. Both of my Yaesus have SD slots which seems to work well versus the cable/CHIRP method.
    I can't really add anything. I've only ever used tones on repeaters (and I seldom use repeaters at all). I'm aware you can use them in Simplex, but I've never bothered.

@RJ You live the RV life, right? You should check into SOTA or POTA as a "recreational" radio activity. SOTA is definitely doable on 2m and can be a lot of fun.

Chris

Very few repeaters in my part of IL were non tone or coded squelch, except many would go CSQ during WX. My own repeater required MDC1200 or DMR.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    Mac has protections built in to prevent the use of no approved software. Chirp falls under that label. I use a Rapberry Pi to program and update radios.

I would prefer to have that on my Mac but I’m not interested in changing the configurations on it as I don’t want to do anything to mess with the platform’s stability. I do have an old Airbook that I’ve thought about rooting and converting to Linux, it’s so far down on the list of priorities that I’ll probably get my stereo cables organized first.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Of interest to hams...
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...QeJzGTzvtD2d2k

I'm able to pick them up on 15.735. Strong signal, easily S9, but audio quality is not the best. Due to that and the subject matter, I expect PM Churchill to start his address at any moment.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Of interest to hams...
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...QeJzGTzvtD2d2k

I'm able to pick them up on 15.735. Strong signal, easily S9, but audio quality is not the best. Due to that and the subject matter, I expect PM Churchill to start his address at any moment.

Chris
    Thanks, very useful.

Just to clarify the times this is on, it is 1600 to 1800 UTC, and 2200 to 000 UTC, daily?

Site Supporter
    Thanks, very useful.

Just to clarify the times this is on, it is 1600 to 1800 UTC, and 2200 to 000 UTC, daily?
    That's my take. They were on the air until 11ish ET this morning, then went offline. I was half listening, so it sounded almost like they went off mid-broadcast. But, in hindsight, it was probably planned, especially given I was talking with my manager in Scotland around the same time and he wasn't mentioning mushroom clouds over London.

Chris

User Tag List