Page 29 of 63 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Because 6m is so hit and miss these days, I'd go with the dipole before spending real money. You can literally build one for pocket change (a BNC binding post for the center connector and 10' of zip cord).
    This. When I used to work 6M phone and occasionally CW, it was with simple wire dipoles.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have one ICOM HT that allows AM Transmission on the Aircraft Band and also receives. All my Multi-Model radios that have AM can and have been unlocked for operation outside the Ham Bands, (Except for Cell Phone Frequencies). That then buying Marine SSB Radios for my boats, I just unlock those frequency sections.

With regard to Helium, I regularly dive on Tri-Mix that has more helium than any other gas in the mix.

Bob

Not that I've seen. To be honest, the CTX-10 doesn't seem to get much attention. Most hams don't seem to like "simple".

That said, in a portable, low powered option, the Yaesu FT-818 isn't particularly complex, especially once you get the options tweaked to your needs.

Chris
    I just wasted an hour looking at what is out there. I do love my KX3, but a cheaper, simpler rig could be fun to have for casual operation.

The best thing I’m seeing is what you suggested - a FT-818ND. I’d need to add one of the specialized nylon bags that holds battery and aftermarket ATU, so this wouldn’t be a spur of the moment pocket change thing.

I’m wondering about one of the cheap Xiegu rigs, something like a G1M?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I just wasted an hour looking at what is out there. I do love my KX3, but a cheaper, simpler rig could be fun to have for casual operation.

The best thing I’m seeing is what you suggested - a FT-818ND. I’d need to add one of the specialized nylon bags that holds battery and aftermarket ATU, so this wouldn’t be a spur of the moment pocket change thing.

I’m wondering about one of the cheap Xiegu rigs, something like a G1M?
    I don't have any experience with the G1M. Folks seem to like it and its big brother the G90 (have fingerbanged that one at HRO in Woodbridge).

Or, since you apparently know CW, what about one of the little CW-only rigs like a QCX-Mini (kit but available pre-built) or an LNR Mountaintopper (they just had a run of the latest model)? Tiny, simple, and not as dear as the KX3.

Chris

I don't have any experience with the G1M. Folks seem to like it and its big brother the G90 (have fingerbanged that one at HRO in Woodbridge).

Or, since you apparently know CW, what about one of the little CW-only rigs like a QCX-Mini (kit but available pre-built) or an LNR Mountaintopper (they just had a run of the latest model)? Tiny, simple, and not as dear as the KX3.

Chris
    I have a couple of CW monobanders I’ve built over the years but my fist and copy is so bad right now it wouldn’t be recreational. Phone is where it is for me at the moment. And I like the idea of cheap!

I think my neighborhood HRO has the G90 in stock, I should go check it out. But that CTX-10 really does appeal, a true HF appliance.
    Ken

This has been a productive work day (not.) I’m on hold waiting for people to do things, so I’ve been researching Holosun RDS and cheap QRP HF rigs.

I want something cheap for QRP HF phone. Traditionally I would build a kit, but at this point I think I want to just buy a SDR and be done with it. This will be a toy - I have my KX3 and IC-718 for serious operations.

I’m down to two - a uSDX+ with internal battery, and a Xiegu G1M. I’m leaning a little towards the uSDX+ despite being a little riskier because of the internal battery.
    Ken

Site Supporter
    This has been a productive work day (not.) I’m on hold waiting for people to do things, so I’ve been researching Holosun RDS and cheap QRP HF rigs.

I want something cheap for QRP HF phone. Traditionally I would build a kit, but at this point I think I want to just buy a SDR and be done with it. This will be a toy - I have my KX3 and IC-718 for serious operations.

I’m down to two - a uSDX+ with internal battery, and a Xiegu G1M. I’m leaning a little towards the uSDX+ despite being a little riskier because of the internal battery.
    THe uSDX+ looks interesting.

There's a mod to make a QCX Mini into an SSB transceiver if you're open to kits.

Chris

THe uSDX+ looks interesting.

There's a mod to make a QCX Mini into an SSB transceiver if you're open to kits.

Chris
    I figure a uSDX+ could be amusing. I’m also in a (tr)uSDX kit group buy, but that’s a ways off.

Hans is doing a SSB mod for the QCX Mini? I’m not seeing it. I’ve been waiting for his QCX for years now…
    Ken

Site Supporter
    Hans is doing a SSB mod for the QCX Mini? I’m not seeing it. I’ve been waiting for his QCX for years now…
    I misspoke, it's not the Mini. Also, the add-on is done by a 3rd party.

Isn't the QCX available now? Why have you been waiting for years?

Chris

I misspoke, it's not the Mini. Also, the add-on is done by a 3rd party.

Isn't the QCX available now? Why have you been waiting for years?

Chris
    I mistyped. QSX.
    Ken

User Tag List