Page 16 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Inspired by this thread, I went for a quick hike this afternoon up to a local viewing spot that's on the SOTA list. No response on 146.520 simplex, which didn't surprise me -- I hadn't told anyone I was going. So I tried the 2m repeater on the peak shown -- 11 miles away -- and had a brief conversation with a gentleman who said I was clean and clear. Good to know! I was using a 5w handheld with one of these: https://signalstuff.com/product/supe...tick-sma-male/

Attachment 66896

It would've been fun to see what other repeaters I could hit, but it was in the teens with a breeze and I wasn't dressed to be still. I'll be more organized next time.
    Sign up for SOTA and put in a spot while you're out there or ask someone who you contact to spot you (if they participate). Also, it's valid to get a contact through the repeater to QSY to 146.52 and get your official contact that way.

The Signal Stick is a quarter wave whip and would benefit somewhat from a counterpoise wire. That said, I use a Signal Stick on my VX-7 for SOTA too. I set the radio and antenna up as an integrated unit into my pack, then pull a speakermic around to my chest strap. I tend to call CQ right as I hit the summit to kind of prime things, so it certainly works.

Chris

You guys are going to start costing me a lot of money. Just sayin'.
    I'm a "7" compared to most gun-guys, which means I'm a "3" on P-F.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Yah think?

Here I am wondering why I'm thinking about a radio at all. Earlier you suggested the FT-70. I've already graduated to video reviews of the FT-3DR.

Just wait until you start looking at HF...
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Yah think?

Here I am wondering why I'm thinking about a radio at all. Earlier you suggested the FT-70. I've already graduated to video reviews of the FT-3DR.
    I have *some* restraint. I don't even have my license yet.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Just wait until you start looking at HF...
    IKR.

Though, if you learn CW the cost of HF *can* take a nosedive.

Chris

I have *some* restraint. I don't even have my license yet.
    Back when I first passed the test I ordered and received an Icom -2AT. I had that radio for a couple of weeks before I got my license in the mail. As I remember it it was a long and agonizing wait. I was chomping at the bit to get on the air. I had a radio but no Call Sign.

Back when I first passed the test I ordered and received an Icom -2AT. I had that radio for a couple of weeks before I got my license in the mail. As I remember it it was a long and agonizing wait. I was chomping at the bit to get on the air. I had a radio but no Call Sign.
    Why should that stop you?

Yah think?

Chris recommended the FT-60, which I got and is the perfect radio for a new technician. It does everything you want, very well. With a "signal stick" antenna I'm regularly talking to people five miles out on simplex.

Then I got interested in APRS and got a FT-3DR. It's a rich feature set for APRS and touchscreen, but I miss the simplicity and very long battery life of the FT-60. The FT3-DR with all the APRS features turned on will drain its battery in a day, easy. Recommend keeping the GPS and modem turned off unless you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    IKR.

Though, if you learn CW the cost of HF *can* take a nosedive.

Chris
    As I understand it there are computer programs that will translate typed messages to Morse and then interface with the transceiver to transmit in code. Is that the way to go or is it really beneficial to learn to send and receive Morse by hand and ear?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List