Page 23 of 63 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    What, is everybody gonna be monitoring 146.52 or something?

Yes, good job wheeler!
    Something like that. The idea is to encourage simplex usage of the 2m band. Most folks view it as a repeater frequency only.

Chris

Indeed. I meant what freq in the band.

Hell, I call out regularly on 146.52, sometimes get answers. Was up on some (relatively) high ground the other day, called, ended up having a great QSO with an operator 20 miles away, on my 5 watt ht. Cool stuff.

Yeah, I don't ever neglect the simplex usefulness of my radios. I'll take the radio with me that day, and do some calling and listening.

So, local time in all respective areas?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Something like that. The idea is to encourage simplex usage of the 2m band. Most folks view it as a repeater frequency only.

Chris
    You mean it's not?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    So, local time in all respective areas?
    Yes.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    So it would appear that if you just show up and color between the lines, they will just give those licenses away...
    Awesome man, congrats on General.

What, is everybody gonna be monitoring 146.52 or something?

Yes, good job wheeler!
    That checks. My SOTA Alert is on .58 specifically so I get chasers and not every licensed Ham within 40 miles. After the pile-up, I'll swap over to .52 and start cold-calling CQ.

You mean it's not?
    Yeah, I remember thinking that when I got my first handheld and was programming in channels, it automatically assumed that everything is a repeater and puts an offset in. In order to do Simplex you have to go into the programming and change something.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I get that the amateur radio market is small, but ham radio technology seems like it's at least 10 years behind modern standards. I don't think it's too much to ask for:

-Bluetooth interface with an iPhone/Android app that gives full control of the device
    -Cloud service for storing device information
    -High quality displays appropriate for the cost of the devices
    -Standard user interface across the entire product line
    -Regular and easy firmware updates
    -Ability to search for and automatically enter info for nearby repeaters using GPS (using the app).
    -Automatic RepeaterBook frequency entry, with automatic offset & code

And that's just what I though up in 5 minutes after a cup of coffee. What other modern features would you like in your transceivers?
    Bumping this because I just got a new HT, the Kenwood TH-D74a.

One of the less talked about features is that it contains an internal list of global repeaters. It's missing some notable ones in my region, but does have some of them. I need to see if I can update the list. I also need to understand how to actually *use* the list.

It also has Bluetooth, but doesn't appear to connect to other devices, strictly audio only (ie headsets and such). If that's the case, I'll be a bit bummed as it will not allow me to use APRSDroid.

The display is color and pretty crisp for an HT.

Firmware updates are available (not sure how easy to apply, but Kenwood has multiple companion apps for this radio).

It appears to be close to your list above. Unfortunately, it was recently discontinued. I got very lucky and found a guy selling a pristine model (truly LNIB) with the drop in quick-charger and a spare battery for hundreds less than what the radio typically goes for bare.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Bumping this because I just got a new HT, the Kenwood TH-D74a.

One of the less talked about features is that it contains an internal list of global repeaters. It's missing some notable ones in my region, but does have some of them. I need to see if I can update the list. I also need to understand how to actually *use* the list.

It also has Bluetooth, but doesn't appear to connect to other devices, strictly audio only (ie headsets and such). If that's the case, I'll be a bit bummed as it will not allow me to use APRSDroid.

The display is color and pretty crisp for an HT.

Firmware updates are available (not sure how easy to apply, but Kenwood has multiple companion apps for this radio).

It appears to be close to your list above. Unfortunately, it was recently discontinued. I got very lucky and found a guy selling a pristine model (truly LNIB) with the drop in quick-charger and a spare battery for hundreds less than what the radio typically goes for bare.

Chris
    I used CHIRP and a Raspberry Pi to program the local repeaters in my Baofeng and my FT-897. I’ve also used the menu system of both to program for repeaters. Neither menu system is very intuitive but once I did a few it wasn’t as onerous as folks make it out to be. I used the RepeaterBook app on my iPhone which has a location/gps function to locate repeaters in my most traveled areas and then referenced them through CHIRP to upload to the radios.

You can download CHIRP for free. It’s open source and it will access both Repeater Book and Radio Reference. It will also access GMRS, MURS, FRS, and the various WX channels.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    I used CHIRP and a Raspberry Pi to program the local repeaters in my Baofeng and my FT-897. I’ve also used the menu system of both to program for repeaters. Neither menu system is very intuitive but once I did a few it wasn’t as onerous as folks make it out to be. I used the RepeaterBook app on my iPhone which has a location/gps function to locate repeaters in my most traveled areas and then referenced them through CHIRP to upload to the radios.

You can download CHIRP for free. It’s open source and it will access both Repeater Book and Radio Reference. It will also access GMRS, MURS, FRS, and the various WX channels.
    Yup. Been a long time user of Chirp. I was responding to Clusterfrack's desire to have a radio that didn't require Chirp.

That said, while I'm very comfortable programming my other two HTs via the front key pad, I'm not there yet with the new one. It's a bit too different...

Chris

User Tag List