Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    So I signed up for the Technician's exam in a couple of weeks. So I got online and started watching YouTube vids on radio operation and did some online practice exams. Some of the questions are 6 feet tall, and I'm only 5'9"

Are there any entertaining material I could be studying?
    Not really that I know of. They're all pretty dry. Hamstudy.org is good; just keep doing the quiz over and over (and over).

Any electrician (or electrical engineering) background makes the circuit questions pretty trite.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Not really that I know of. They're all pretty dry. Hamstudy.org is good; just keep doing the quiz over and over (and over).

Any electrician (or electrical engineering) background makes the circuit questions pretty trite.
    Hmmm. I wonder if there’s a market for video of topless women reading the question pool?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Hmmm. I wonder if there’s a market for video of topless women reading the question pool?
    There would be a lot of retakes.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I'd be game to try that study method. "if at first you don't succeed..." and all that.

Awesome day on the bands. I activated an 8 point summit using the K6ARK EFHW I built. 25 QSOs! The only downer was trying to use my paddles while swatting biting flies away.

Anyone else get out to SOTA/POTA this weekend?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    Awesome day on the bands. I activated an 8 point summit using the K6ARK EFHW I built. 25 QSOs! The only downer was trying to use my paddles while swatting biting flies away.

Anyone else get out to SOTA/POTA this weekend?
    Awesome! I didn't get out this past weekend, but the plan is to go out this weekend with a friend of mine. He has a new CW rig to break in and I want to see if I can make FT8 via my Tr(uSDX) work. K6ARK designed an audio adapter for the rig and a guy in India developed an Android app to do FT8 on your phone. I built the adapter yesterday (I have a spare board if anyone wants one), installed the app, and tested RX yesterday. It receives and decodes, so now I just need to get educated on FT8 operations. If I do that this week, I may do Saturday's activation on FT8.

This is my first foray into FT8. I can't say I'm super interested or invested in it, but if it can become another arrow in the quiver, that's cool.

ETA: FT8 via Tr(uSDX) and an Android phone:

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 07-26-2022 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    This is my first foray into FT8. I can't say I'm super interested or invested in it, but if it can become another arrow in the quiver, that's cool.

Chris
    That's awesome. I've read up on the QDX; a lot of people are excited about it.

I went out with a friend last week and did an unactivated peak. He used his KX2 and a Surface laptop to do a JS8Call / FT8 activation.

Once I get MG, I may have to get into FT8, etc.

Once things settle down a little here (and it cools off) I want to start getting out with my HF gear and play in the field. I have a brand new IC-705 that needs some exercise.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post

This. ^^^

There seem to be two types of questions; one that you have to just memorize, and one that is basic EE stuff. I did hamstudy.org and relied on my EE degree on the circuits questions. I think I missed one on the exam which bummed me out.

Having said that I need to get started on General, so appreciate the thread getting bumped.

Rich (KO4ZMP)

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    This. ^^^

There seem to be two types of questions; one that you have to just memorize, and one that is basic EE stuff. I did hamstudy.org and relied on my EE degree on the circuits questions. I think I missed one on the exam which bummed me out.

Having said that I need to get started on General, so appreciate the thread getting bumped.

Rich (KO4ZMP)
    I keep meaning to work on my Extra (General since 2000 or so.)
    Ken

User Tag List