Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I have an FT-60, and like it quite well. I can hit any repeater in my area, and our repeater system has me talking to, or at least monitoring traffic, all over Arizona.

I got into it for back country comms, and it works for that, as well as local chat nets and emergency preparedness nets. I’ve used it for back country comms once - got into a place chasing a deer I couldn’t call out from with my cell to let anybody know I was okay but going to be late getting back b/c dead deer.

Radio picked up an active net as soon as I turned it on, one of the fellows on the net called my wife to relay the message.

Got an Extra ticket for some dumb reason. Technician level equipment and bands is all I ever use.
    I got into radio because I like the science and engineering of it. I live in an aluminum-siding-clad townhome in a sea of aluminum-siding-clad townhomes. Radio doesn't work well at the house as a result. So, I go in the QRP direction, allowing me to work with more portable gear. It also adds an element of engineering creativity. Unfortunately, I don't much enjoy ragchewing with random Hams and don't really get into contesting, so I seldom do anything on HF. I use my VHF FM gear for comms with my hunting buddies and that's about it.

I only went as far as General. Tech and General were easy, but when I started studying for Extra, I realized I was putting in a lot more effort for just a small slice of extra spectrum. I decided it wasn't worth my time.

I dragged my Yaesu FT-817nd out this weekend and set up a random sloping wire from my 3rd story bedroom window down to the far corner of the backyard and let the counterpoise wire dangle straight down. I tuned the wire with my Emtech ZM-2 tuner (built it myself a decade ago) for 20m and gave the dial a spin. There were lots of strong signals coming in from out west. I heard a number of stations in Colorado and North Dakota. Makes sense as my wire was sloping westward. It sounded like a contest was going on.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
    For all looking to get into Ham Radio I offer a few key points as a HAM Extra ticket holder.

The test for each ticket have a limited number of test questions. If you locate one of the many websites with online practice test you can take test over and over to learn the test bank. This will help you obtain the license but you may need extra study to learn the various modes in how you wish to operate. I used ARRL Test Pools here http://arrlexamreview.appspot.com.

If you choose a 2M or dual band hand held be sure to upgrade the antenna from the rubber ducky supplied. I have a recently obtained a Yaesu FT3D which I very much endorse for ease of use and features. There are many reviews of this and other HT's online.

For a new Tech license ham a dual band mobile radio would be a good home setup with a DC power supply and short run of coax to an antenna that may be propped up in a room corner. No need of external mounting etc particularly when operating on repeaters. I have HOA restrictions that limit how I can use antennas.

If venturing into the HF bands there are several 100W radios available to enter into this area. If you are limited like I am in antenna infrastructure consider magnetic loop antennas as an option. There are limits to power and lower bands but the are great for apartments or attics. Right now the HF propagation conditions are poor as you may learn or know.

What is great about HAM radio is that you can dig as deep into electronics and antenna design as you wish and time demands are dictated on how you wish to operate and what you wish to learn.

One other item is to find what is termed as an Elmer which is a coach or mentor who has some level of experience to pass along lessons learned or knowledge regarding the art of radio operations.

I hope this general thumb nail helps new folks entering HAM.
    I just got a FT3 to complement my FT70 and I’m very happy. I recently picked up an openspot 1 and it’s great. I have access to a lot more and I can cross mode into DMR. I’m seriously considering ordering a openspot 3.

I made Technician in November and General in February. I’m almost there on Amateur Extra but I’m a few weeks out studying. I use the Ham Study app to go over the questions then use the Ham Test Prep app to take my practice tests. I hope I’ll be able to test for AR before the question pool changes on 7/1/20.

Site Supporter
    If you choose a 2M or dual band hand held be sure to upgrade the antenna from the rubber ducky supplied.
    I've yet to see a 3rd party rubber ducky antenna that worked noticeably better than the factory ones, at least for those that come with the Yaesu radios I've used. It might be different for others. However, I recently became aware of the SignalStuff Super-Elastic Signal Stick antenna. Every review has been excellent and the one testing video I watched showed significant performance increases. For $20, I think I'll give it a try. The biggest downside is its length. However, you can coil it up to pack it away smaller.

For a new Tech license ham a dual band mobile radio would be a good home setup with a DC power supply and short run of coax to an antenna that may be propped up in a room corner. No need of external mounting etc particularly when operating on repeaters. I have HOA restrictions that limit how I can use antennas.
    Yup, I agree. HTs are very limiting. I got the fanciest one on the market at the time and barely use the more advanced features (it supports 6m, I've only used 6m once in the 12 or so years I've owned it). Except for portability a Mobile rig used as a base station will be far better. Or, if you think you'll eventually get your General or Extra, get a base station radio that supports HF-70cm and only use the Tech-allowed bands and modes to start with (IIRC, there is a small portion of the 10m band open to Techs now, giving Techs access to HF). That way, when you upgrade later, you'll have a radio that matches your new license. Most HTs and Mobiles only support FM ops, but even in the Tech bands you have other modes that are just as compelling, such as SSB, AM, Packet, etc. You can't do those with a standard FM mobile rig.

It's a low power device, but a Yaesu FT-817nd (old version) or FT-818 (new version) gives you a battery-capable device that supports "DC to Daylight" on all modes. However, you're limited to 5-6 watts depending on the version. That's enough for local repeaters on FM, but will be limiting on everything else.

If venturing into the HF bands there are several 100W radios available to enter into this area. If you are limited like I am in antenna infrastructure consider magnetic loop antennas as an option.
    There are a number of entry level HF rigs that cost well under a grand (I think Yaesu's latest can be had for under $600). Used radios from trusted sources could be a good way forward too.

Have you spoken with your HOA? When I got my General and wanted to set up an antenna in my yard I spoke with my HOA and found out they were ok with a vertical in my backyard as long as it couldn't be seen from the street. I had a Hustler vertical installed for several years before I took it down due to not using it.

What is great about HAM radio is that you can dig as deep into electronics and antenna design as you wish and time demands are dictated on how you wish to operate and what you wish to learn.

One other item is to find what is termed as an Elmer which is a coach or mentor who has some level of experience to pass along lessons learned or knowledge regarding the art of radio operations.
    Yup and yup.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post

Any thoughts about spending a bit more and getting a DMR capable radio such as the AnyTone 878? It is supposed to be a quality radio and have a great battery life, speaker, and be very easy to navigate and use, so it has me intrigued even though I may not use the DMR feature too much, at least at first.
    It depends on your existing users and infrastructure.

I used duty P25 radios for years and I'm sold on digital advantages.

If analog/DMR radios were available and affordable back then, yes I would have gone with DMR-capable radios. I would never choose DMR-only radios.

My application:
    Almost no one in my crew knows what DMR is and isn't willing to shell out 5x Baofeng money for one radio. We already have a good number of analog radios the non-techies (most of us) are familiar with.

One major decision point for going with HX400s is dummyproofing - lockable simple keypad, channelized operation, submersible design/accessories and few buttons to futz with.

I hope that real world illustration helps flesh out your own points of consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I have an FT-60, and like it quite well. I can hit any repeater in my area, and our repeater system has me talking to, or at least monitoring traffic, all over Arizona.

I got into it for back country comms, and it works for that, as well as local chat nets and emergency preparedness nets. I’ve used it for back country comms once - got into a place chasing a deer I couldn’t call out from with my cell to let anybody know I was okay but going to be late getting back b/c dead deer.

Radio picked up an active net as soon as I turned it on, one of the fellows on the net called my wife to relay the message.

Got an Extra ticket for some dumb reason. Technician level equipment and bands is all I ever use.
    That's way cool.

I'm still strongly considering the FT-60. It will either be that or that Anytone 878UV.

I'm learning as we go here, and I've just found out that there are no DMR repeaters in North Az. In fact, I can't find any digital repeaters period, so no Fusion or D-Star either. So especially for my first radio, any digital capability would seem totally superfluous, please correct me if I'm wrong.

That Anytone 878 looks attractive due to the interface, battery life, good speaker, and good analog capabilities but it is $209 instead of around $150 for the FT60.

OK, I'm still in analysis mode, hopefully not to reach paralysis by analysis mode

For all looking to get into Ham Radio I offer a few key points as a HAM Extra ticket holder.

The test for each ticket have a limited number of test questions. If you locate one of the many websites with online practice test you can take test over and over to learn the test bank. This will help you obtain the license but you may need extra study to learn the various modes in how you wish to operate. I used ARRL Test Pools here http://arrlexamreview.appspot.com.

If you choose a 2M or dual band hand held be sure to upgrade the antenna from the rubber ducky supplied. I have a recently obtained a Yaesu FT3D which I very much endorse for ease of use and features. There are many reviews of this and other HT's online.

If venturing into the HF bands there are several 100W radios available to enter into this area. If you are limited like I am in antenna infrastructure consider magnetic loop antennas as an option. There are limits to power and lower bands but the are great for apartments or attics. Right now the HF propagation conditions are poor as you may learn or know.

I hope this general thumb nail helps new folks entering HAM.

Super, thanks for that info! I'll be sure to get a better antenna when I get my unit. What's a good outboard antenna one can put on one's truck to use with an HT?
    Last edited by DacoRoman; 04-13-2020 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    I just got a FT3 to complement my FT70 and I’m very happy. I recently picked up an openspot 1 and it’s great. I have access to a lot more and I can cross mode into DMR. I’m seriously considering ordering a openspot 3.

I made Technician in November and General in February. I’m almost there on Amateur Extra but I’m a few weeks out studying. I use the Ham Study app to go over the questions then use the Ham Test Prep app to take my practice tests. I hope I’ll be able to test for AR before the question pool changes on 7/1/20.
    How is your battery life on the FT70? I'm looking at the FT70 as well but I was edging to the FT60R due to my ability to get a AA battery pack adapter and the supposed better battery life, and the fact that there are no digital repeaters in my area insofar as I can tell.

Is there a reason you don't use Fusion itself, no repeaters in the area, just DMR?

Amateur Radio

How is your battery life on the FT70? I'm looking at the FT70 as well but I was edging to the FT60R due to my ability to get a AA battery pack adapter and the supposed better battery life, and the fact that there are no digital repeaters in my area insofar as I can tell.

Is there a reason you don't use Fusion itself, no repeaters in the area, just DMR?
    The battery life on the FT70 isn’t as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I have a drop in charger, spare battery and car charger so I always have lots of juice. The battery light comes on prematurely.

I use the openspot to access Fusion and DMR repeaters because I cannot hit any of the local Fusion repeaters from my house.

I have a small magnet mount antenna on my vehicle and it helps out a good bit.

When I’m at work in the NOLA area we have a bunch of repeaters that I get on all the time. Up at my house I’m limited because I’m far away from the local repeaters and the HOA is very strict with all the Karen’s in the neighborhood minded everyone else’s business.

Site Supporter
    FWIW, My slightly spendy Alinco HT worked great until the battery stopped holding a charge, after about 6 months. Bought 2 Baofeng UV5-R's with extended batteries for less than one Alinco. They last forever on a charge. Been going with them for 3? years.. 2 at least.

The local weather spotter/EOC group has 10 UV5R's and 1-2 of them gets hinkey on the external mic Tx, but it's a known issue with the connector that can be fixed with a pocket knife, so, we do that when it comes up. Those are kept in reserve for when we call out the whole team to man parades and such and not everyone has a properly programmed HT. You know how that goes.

The new hotness here are the Yaesu digital HT's. I like my FTM-100DR, but rarely use digital. I have it built into a pelican case that can tap into battery (LiFePo), 12v car or wall power by switching a cable (battery can be attached so it hot-swaps via power gate). We have -400DR's at the weather EOC and the weather guys (but not me) are all migrating to the FT-3DR HT's. I can buy a dozen Baofengs for the price of the 3DR, so, I'm sticking with Baofeng. YMMV.

The only thing the Baofeng doesn't do well is get wet. I keep a sandwich bag handy, and use an external mic. $8.00 from Amazon.

Caveat: I have little need for back-country comms. Our repeaters are all pretty well placed and relatively local. I can hit our primary repeater from >8 miles as the crow flies, as long as I'm not in a dell. The antenna is a hundred feet up on a tower. We also can deploy a portable repeater if needed in more remote areas. That said, my Alinco HT and Baofengs all performed similarly. YMMV
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Super, thanks for that info! I'll be sure to get a better antenna when I get my unit. What's a good outboard antenna one can put on one's truck to use with an HT?
    There are a wide variety, but you'll need a cable that adapts whatever your HT's antenna interface is to the one on the antenna/mount. You're looking for something like SMA-to-UHF or BNC-to-UHF. If you get the PL-259 connector (UHF plug rather than socket) you can use a standard jumper between that and your antenna or any antenna for that matter.

Something around a half wave on 2m will do fine as long as you have it installed properly.

I use this the Larsen NMO 2/70B on a hood-lip mount. I've further bonded the hood to the body with braided ground strap. It has lived there for 10 years without incident.

Chris

User Tag List