Page 30 of 63 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

I broke down and ordered a uSDR+ with internal battery.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I broke down and ordered a uSDR+ with internal battery.
    Now get it on the air!

BTW, I routinely work and am worked by a ham in NH, AC1Z, even when he's running at 5w from a summit (we're both into SOTA).

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Now get it on the air!

BTW, I routinely work and am worked by a ham in NH, AC1Z, even when he's running at 5w from a summit (we're both into SOTA).

Chris
    That’s the plan! I’ll probably start out playing with it and my AX2 on a tabletop, I just need a little antenna tuner.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Site Supporter
    That’s the plan! I’ll probably start out playing with it and my AX2 on a tabletop, I just need a little antenna tuner.
    What I did when using the MFJ whips (the Elecraft AX-2 will respond roughly the same) with my Yaesu 817 is to adjust the length of the whip and monitoring the SWR meter. The adjustments were fairly small, a few fractions of an inch. My buddy, who uses an 818 and the same whips, does the same. No tuner required. If the radio does not have an SWR meter, there are a couple SWR indicator kits (I have this one: http://www.qrpkits.com/ezseries.html#ezswr) that will work if you are using a tripod mount for the whip.

Or, you can roughly tune via "noise". Just adjust the whip for maximum "white noise" on an unused frequency and that will get you close.

Apologies if I'm mansplaining how to adjust an antenna.

Chris

What I did when using the MFJ whips (the Elecraft AX-2 will respond roughly the same) with my Yaesu 817 is to adjust the length of the whip and monitoring the SWR meter. The adjustments were fairly small, a few fractions of an inch. My buddy, who uses an 818 and the same whips, does the same. No tuner required. If the radio does not have an SWR meter, there are a couple SWR indicator kits (I have this one: http://www.qrpkits.com/ezseries.html#ezswr) that will work if you are using a tripod mount for the whip.

Or, you can roughly tune via "noise". Just adjust the whip for maximum "white noise" on an unused frequency and that will get you close.

Apologies if I'm mansplaining how to adjust an antenna.

Chris
    Pretty much how I used to do it with a radio that has robust foldback protection, but these uSDRs have a rep for toasting finals in high SWR situations. I’ll have to see if the radio has a tune function, if it does I’ll try the tune-length-for-noise method. Or, I’ll just grab one of my wire dipoles and drive on until I figure out the tuner situation. QRP Guys used to make a little 10 or 15 through 40 tuner kit that would work.

I remember someone made a cute little manual QRP tuner with a collapsable whip, it was a project box flat its back with a BNC and knobs on the flat face. I need to look around, I’ve gotten spoiled by my KX3’s ATU and the relative robustness of my monoband CW kit radios.

(Edit) That SWR indicator you linked may be a good solution, and useful for other situations too. Ordered - thank you!
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 01-21-2022 at 09:48 AM.
    Ken

Site Supporter
    Pretty much how I used to do it with a radio that has robust foldback protection, but these uSDRs have a rep for toasting finals in high SWR situations. I’ll have to see if the radio has a tune function, if it does I’ll try the tune-length-for-noise method. Or, I’ll just grab one of my wire dipoles and drive on until I figure out the tuner situation. QRP Guys used to make a little 10 or 15 through 40 tuner kit that would work.

I remember someone made a cute little manual QRP tuner with a collapsable whip, it was a project box flat its back with a BNC and knobs on the flat face. I need to look around, I’ve gotten spoiled by my KX3’s ATU and the relative robustness of my monoband CW kit radios.

(Edit) That SWR indicator you linked may be a good solution, and useful for other situations too. Ordered - thank you!
    If that QRP Guys tuner is the one I'm thinking of, I had the same type from QRPKits (same folks that make the SWR indicator I linked to). That's a great little tuner. I used it with my 817. It does 15, 17, 20, and 40. There's also an 80m version. Like yourself, I'm spoiled by the ATU in my KX2.

Chris

Found the tuner I was thinking about: Emtech ZM-2

https://steadynet.com/emtech/zm2-pre...bnc-connectors
    Ken

Site Supporter
    Found the tuner I was thinking about: Emtech ZM-2

https://steadynet.com/emtech/zm2-pre...bnc-connectors
    That's a good one. I built and used one of those for most of the time I owned the 817 (roughly 14 years). When I sold the 817, I sold the tuner to my buddy who continues to use it (though he just got the QRPKits SOTA tuner to reduce weight/bulk).

That said, knowing what I know now, I'd probably build a linked or trapped EFHW on a 1:49 or 1:64 transformer and do away with the tuner altogether.

Chris

That's a good one. I built and used one of those for most of the time I owned the 817 (roughly 14 years). When I sold the 817, I sold the tuner to my buddy who continues to use it (though he just got the QRPKits SOTA tuner to reduce weight/bulk).

That said, knowing what I know now, I'd probably build a linked or trapped EFHW on a 1:49 or 1:64 transformer and do away with the tuner altogether.

Chris
    You really are a bad influence.

I went ahead and ordered one - I’d like to use it with the small verticals I already have for fast setup without looking for trees. The AX1 and AX2, but also the wander lead multibander I have. There are times wires are too much of a pain for super casual ops.

Also, I just found out about POTA - that’s more my speed right now, the ankle and knee has really limited my off the flats mobility. I can see doing POTA activations on weekend days.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    I got the TX-500. It arrived at the house a couple weeks ago. I'm a long TDY and haven't been home to try it out yet. I'm hoping for some 6m SOTA QSOs but I've heard 6m is difficult at best.
    I’m really looking forward to hearing how you like it once you’re back. It attracted my attention when first announced, it has a lot of very nice features.
    Ken

User Tag List