Page 61 of 63 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Ridiculous, wasn’t it? If you like it use it, if not ignore it. One guy in particular needs a knee in the nads.
    Would that be Mr Morrow?

Did you see Wayne’s latest about more features?

“Just added to the latest KH1 field test firmware:

- complete CW text decode in both TX and RX modes (menu settings: OFF, TX ONLY, TX & RX)

- now two message groups (1-3 and 4-6)

- auto repeat, with delay set by MENU:MSG RPT

- direct clear function for all 6 messages

- power-on banner for customization (up to 16 characters)”
    I didn't see it until you mentioned it, but yeah that's pretty cool. The KH1 and its whip have energized me to start using my AX2 whips more often. I went out yesterday afternoon to finish off a roll of Kodak XX 120 and took the little KX2 and AX2 with me. Once I was done with the camera, I sat on a bench near a pond and worked a few POTA stations on 20m. From unpacking to packing back up, it was 5-10 minutes and that included 2 contacts where my little 4' whip beat out the alligators (all mouth, no ears).

I learned a new trick for SSB. Tune off your target's frequency by a few cycles so your voice stands out in the crowd. Worked like a charm!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Would that be Mr Morrow?
    Charlie K3ICH. Needs one of Steph’s patented Navy sock parties.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Saw the FT8 discussion on the Elecraft Groups.io channel. I was surprised at the number of people against it.
    Yeah, I saw that. I’m not a FT8 guy (yet) but it doesn’t affect me if Elecraft adds that capability.

Your use cases are similar to mine, though I can manage those with my KX2 and AX2 antenna. The KH1 is a brilliant little radio though and every in-use video I watch makes me want to pick up code again so I can justify buying one.
    Dude, do it! It’s fun. Making those faint DX QSOs is magic, particularly on the summit.

100% success rate with 55 or better signal reports. And folks say the whip antennas don't work...

Chris
    I’m a believer. My AX1 has been solid on every activation. I did a FA with no real summit to stand on early in the summer. Leaned up against the tallest rock and the KX2+AX1 rocked it on 15, 17 and 20. Love that thing.

I learned a new trick for SSB. Tune off your target's frequency by a few cycles so your voice stands out in the crowd. Worked like a charm!

Chris
    In CW I believe that’s the equivalent of “Zero Beat”. Works like a champ.

Ridiculous, wasn’t it? If you like it use it, if not ignore it. One guy in particular needs a knee in the nads.

Did you see Wayne’s latest about more features?

“Just added to the latest KH1 field test firmware:

- complete CW text decode in both TX and RX modes (menu settings: OFF, TX ONLY, TX & RX)

- now two message groups (1-3 and 4-6)

- auto repeat, with delay set by MENU:MSG RPT

- direct clear function for all 6 messages

- power-on banner for customization (up to 16 characters)”
    This thing just gets better. Can’t wait to get it out in the field. Might have to sell a kidney to pay off the card though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    In CW I believe that’s the equivalent of “Zero Beat”. Works like a champ.
    I thought zero beat was tuning into the exact transmit frequency of the remote station.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    Dude, do it! It’s fun. Making those faint DX QSOs is magic, particularly on the summit.
    So I've heard, but even after taking a class and being relatively proficient, it didn't "grab" me.

I can't even get motivated for the efficiency aspect because I'm every bit as effective on SSB as my buddy is on CW (and he's one of the last 20wpm extras). We'll do a summit together and I'll get as many SSB contacts as he does CW with an equal amount of DX. With conditions the way they are right now, SSB isn't a handicap.

I might change my mind if I'm still chasing summits when we hit the next solar minimum...

Chris

I was hot into PSK31 years ago, I need to read up more on FT8. It might be fun as I try to relearn CW.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I thought zero beat was tuning into the exact transmit frequency of the remote station.

Chris
    I think you’re right. There are a few guys who tune just slightly off center and their signal stands out. K6EL in San Fran is a master at this.

So I've heard, but even after taking a class and being relatively proficient, it didn't "grab" me.

I can't even get motivated for the efficiency aspect because I'm every bit as effective on SSB as my buddy is on CW (and he's one of the last 20wpm extras). We'll do a summit together and I'll get as many SSB contacts as he does CW with an equal amount of DX. With conditions the way they are right now, SSB isn't a handicap.

I might change my mind if I'm still chasing summits when we hit the next solar minimum...

Chris
    Yesterday and today I managed a few SSB contacts on 10m in addition to a good amount on CW. Conditions are great.

User Tag List