Page 59 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    IKR. Thank God I'm not a CW op and already have a KX2 or I might be selling one of the kids.

Chris
    I’m really not a good CW op, but have wanted to work on my skills again. I do love my KX3 but it’s really too much radio for me, one of these would be perfect for leisurely park ops. Wayne is working on a 90° M4 connector for the telescoping whip so you can operate sitting down.

I had my KX3 for a few years before the KX2 came out, and I always thought that would have been a better rig for me.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

When you guys refer to CW, you're using Morse Code?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    When you guys refer to CW, you're using Morse Code?
    Yes.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Yes.

Chris
    Is Morse code popular enough to buy $1000 portable kits like the KH1?

Site Supporter
    Maybe. People spend that much on a KX2 and only ever use CW (it also does SSB, FM, and AM). What's going to sell these is the size and features. For folks into portable radio like SOTA ops (I'm one), it is ideal.

Chris

Definitely.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I've never used morse code in my life, aside from memorizing the SOS sequence. I guess it's time to learn something. I hope I have enough bandwidth

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Wayne is working on a 90° M4 connector for the telescoping whip so you can operate sitting down.
    Interesting. That kind of defeats his use case for the KH1 as Wayne's a huge proponent of standing-portable ops. But it makes sense people want to use the KH1 like a MTR, particularly with a different antenna than the whip.

I’m also very curious about the dexterity required to stand unsupported and key using the paddles at the base. And write on the “Edgewood” log inside the cover. You’d almost need three hands to be stable.

I hope I have enough bandwidth
    You absolutely do.

Recently learned CW…it’s a ton of fun! If you think of it like learning a second language, but easier since you're already familiar with the structure and syntax. It does take some regular practice in the beginning. Like any perishable skill (a la shooting).

To boot, there are so many websites, programs and free resources online to help one get going with CW. I think that’s one reason CW has gained so much popularity lately.

The FCC dropped Morse code as a requirement because as technology improved there was not a need for CW. CW is a niche that people still enjoy, like other comms, like moon bounce, QRP, or field days.

User Tag List