Page 47 of 63 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

Site Supporter
    I took my new antenna up to a summit on Skyline Drive yesterday and worked for about 45mins, making 17 contacts on 40m, 20m, 17m, 15m, and 12m. I made DX contacts on 20, 17, and 15. All SSB at 10w. I think the antenna works.

Today I went to HRO and picked up 30' of LMR-200 and some BNC connectors to make a new low-loss coax for field use. I've been doing my testing with an RG-8x cable, but it's just too bulky for long hikes. The LMR-200 is the same diameter as RG58, but has less loss than RG-8x. The only downside is the solid center connector, but as long as I don't try to wind it up too tight, that'll be fine.

I also ordered a 0.5"x12" aluminum rod from Amazon to make a lighter ground spike. The current one made with .65" steel is over a pound. Aluminum won't be as durable, but it should be good enough.

This new antenna kicks ass. If I can get the weight and bulk down, it may become my default antenna rather than one for specific circumstances. It goes up quickly and really gets out there.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I found a hamfest today. It was late enough that many people were already packing or gone, but I did take a look around. I don’t have a frequency agile FM handheld that’s not packed away (most of my HTs are Motorola, and my programming gear is packed) so I picked up a cheap Yaesu FD-4XR - for $70 NIB it was a no-brainer. I’d like to see what’s happening on the local club repeaters.
    The FD-4xr is supposed to be pretty good. It should serve you well.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I took my new antenna up to a summit on Skyline Drive yesterday and worked for about 45mins, making 17 contacts on 40m, 20m, 17m, 15m, and 12m. I made DX contacts on 20, 17, and 15. All SSB at 10w. I think the antenna works.

Today I went to HRO and picked up 30' of LMR-200 and some BNC connectors to make a new low-loss coax for field use. I've been doing my testing with an RG-8x cable, but it's just too bulky for long hikes. The LMR-200 is the same diameter as RG58, but has less loss than RG-8x. The only downside is the solid center connector, but as long as I don't try to wind it up too tight, that'll be fine.

I also ordered a 0.5"x12" aluminum rod from Amazon to make a lighter ground spike. The current one made with .65" steel is over a pound. Aluminum won't be as durable, but it should be good enough.

This new antenna kicks ass. If I can get the weight and bulk down, it may become my default antenna rather than one for specific circumstances. It goes up quickly and really gets out there.

Chris
    Sounds awesome. I saw the pictures but not sure I understand the design.

It'd be great to have something besides an EFHW. Does it pack down small? Weight?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    Sounds awesome. I saw the pictures but not sure I understand the design.

It'd be great to have something besides an EFHW. Does it pack down small? Weight?
    It's essentially an EFRW with a 9:1 transformer, but instead of a wire radiator, it uses a 16' disc golf retriever.

There's a long thread on QRZ about using this whip (look for $20 Antenna), but the original poster is setting it up as a resonant antenna, where I'm going the random "wire" antenna route using my KX2's ATU and an LDG 9:1 unun (the red one).

With the steel ground spike and 25' of RG-8x, the total weight is about 4lbs, but I'm going to try an aluminum ground spike and LMR-200 coax. I should be able to get it below 3lbs. That's still heavier than a simple wire, but it's quicker to set up and so far performs just as well if not better than an end-fed wire.

Chris

Yeah I was pretty happy to contact an aircraft, for the first time. Monitoring 146.520 as I often do in one slot on my HT, guy in a Piper Cub was doing some flying and filming of Mt. Baker, calling out.

He was at 3,000 ft., around 40 miles from my position, signal clear as a bell of course.

And after our QSO, I could hear his end of a QSO with one of my ham buddies in another spot! HA! Fun stuff.

I have also observed that in my AO, GMRS has exploded in popularity. There are repeaters in the area, and alot of traffic. Got the license a while back, really enjoying it.

The ICOM IC-T10 I had on preorder arrived. Yes, it’s more expensive than the Yaesu FD-4XR - but based on some quick ear tests, the front end is worlds better. The display isn’t as nice, though.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    The ICOM IC-T10 I had on preorder arrived. Yes, it’s more expensive than the Yaesu FD-4XR - but based on some quick ear tests, the front end is worlds better. The display isn’t as nice, though.
    Oh, interesting. I saw those were coming into stock. What do you think of the user interface? I have a Yaesu FT60R, which is a classic, but I don't find it particularly intuitive to use. I'd welcome your thoughts. A friend of mine is also looking to replace his older ICOM and is considering the IC-T10.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Oh, interesting. I saw those were coming into stock. What do you think of the user interface? I have a Yaesu FT60R, which is a classic, but I don't find it particularly intuitive to use. I'd welcome your thoughts. A friend of mine is also looking to replace his older ICOM and is considering the IC-T10.
    Programming is confusing as hell so far, but I think it will get easier - I’d be tempted to program it using software. The backlight could be better (brighter) and some of the screen icons are awfully small. Part of the issue is that I haven’t really used an amateur FM handheld or mobile in a gazillion years, so it’s all odd to me.

It took about fifteen minutes with the manual to get two memories programmed and name tagged including offsets and tones. About ten minutes for the first, five for the second and I bet I can add additional ones in a minute or two each.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Does it automatically detect the repeater offset? The Yaesu does have a convenient Automatic Repeater Shift feature.

Supposedly the FT60R is among the easier handsets to configure, but I haven't found a HT yet that is anything approaching intuitive.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Does it automatically detect the repeater offset? The Yaesu does have a convenient Automatic Repeater Shift feature.

Supposedly the FT60R is among the easier handsets to configure, but I haven't found a HT yet that is anything approaching intuitive.
    Yes, it does have automatic offset - it’s a switchable parameter.

Have you or anyone else tried the freeware programming software? I think it’s called CHIRP.

Edit - apparently the ICOM programming software is freeware.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 10-07-2022 at 08:38 PM.
    Ken

User Tag List