Page 22 of 63 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

I have worked about 10 countries on 6meter Simplex, done Moon Bounce on VHF/UHF simplex, worked the Space Shuttle a number of times and worked just over 1,200 miles once on 220 FM Simplex. I like 2meter SSB and CW also.

There are a number of OEM battery makers out there that will provide newer type batteries for the older HTs that used to use NiCads. W&W Manufacturing is one that I use and since it is located on Long Island, I can drop in to get replacements.

Bob - WA2YDV

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    I have worked about 10 countries on 6meter Simplex, done Moon Bounce on VHF/UHF simplex, worked the Space Shuttle a number of times and worked just over 1,200 miles once on 220 FM Simplex. I like 2meter SSB and CW also.

There are a number of OEM battery makers out there that will provide newer type batteries for the older HTs that used to use NiCads. W&W Manufacturing is one that I use and since it is located on Long Island, I can drop in to get replacements.

Bob - WA2YDV
    6m: I've heard crazy stories about working far DX on 6m when there's an opening. Best I've done so far is VA to GA using a 5w HT and j-pole antenna. I'm looking forward to when 6m DX is a regular thing again.

What are you using for Moon Bounce? The dedicated stations I've seen were impressive, more than most folks can achieve.

Was the 1200 mile 220mhz contact via a satellite or point-to-point? I'd be interested in more details.

I just ordered an Arrow 2m Yagi for handheld use. I'm very interested in stretching my range on portable ops. So far my best, the 6m VA-to-GA contact not included, has been about 65 miles with a vertical antenna. The gain and directivity of the Yagi will extend that...hopefully.

I just started CWOps' Beginner class. My goal is to do SOTA/POTA activations on CW by the end of the year.

Chris

I have owned a number of 6 meter rigs going back to a Heathkit 6er, which was 2,5 watts out and AM only, then a Swan 250C, and ICOM 551D and now my ICOM HF rigs as wel as one HT covering 6, 2 and 440. 100 watts and a three element or bigger beam will work the best, but you can do well with almost anything if the band is open. In the old days (pre-Cable) you would monitor channel 2 on the TV and if you started getting distant stations you knew that 6 meters was OPEN.

Today the best is to leave a radio tuned to one of the distant 6 meter beacons. If you start to hear the beacon, you know that the band is open in that direction.

On 220, I work simplex with 100 watts and a 10X 15 element beam. Worked the 1,200 miles, simplex with that rig. Have worked Chicago 220 Repeaters from New York City when the band has great skip.

Moon Bounce station was mostly dependent on the circular polarized beams for 2meters and 440. 100 watts on each band was more than enough.

Space Shuttle was always with just a 5 watt HT and a hand held 3 element beam.

Today I run 160 meters through 1296. I still love CW and RTTY though I have Digital Equipment as well as old analog.

We run a Modulated CW Practice Net on one 220 repeater (my favorite VHF band since the 70s).

73 - Bob - WA2YDV

Chris:

Interested to know which Arrow Yagi you got. I've read they have collapsible versions.

Good on you for starting CW class. It makes SOTA a richer experience. Made my first 100% CW SOTA outings in the past week. On a weekday, the pile-ups for CW chasers is unlike anything on SSB. Most chasers would slow down and match my speed, and it still took me several tries to get their callsigns correct. 2x S2S on the second trip.

Site Supporter
    I have owned a number of 6 meter rigs going back to a Heathkit 6er, which was 2,5 watts out and AM only, then a Swan 250C, and ICOM 551D and now my ICOM HF rigs as wel as one HT covering 6, 2 and 440. 100 watts and a three element or bigger beam will work the best, but you can do well with almost anything if the band is open. In the old days (pre-Cable) you would monitor channel 2 on the TV and if you started getting distant stations you knew that 6 meters was OPEN.

Today the best is to leave a radio tuned to one of the distant 6 meter beacons. If you start to hear the beacon, you know that the band is open in that direction.
    I only have two radios at the moment that do 6m, my HT and my home station. However, I don't have an 6m-capable antenna at home, so I only do 6m with the HT. That limits me to FM and AM. I caught the opening that let me hit GA by accident, it certainly wasn't a planned thing. I didn't even know the guy was in GA until I looked up his callsign.

On 220, I work simplex with 100 watts and a 10X 15 element beam. Worked the 1,200 miles, simplex with that rig. Have worked Chicago 220 Repeaters from New York City when the band has great skip.
    That's pretty impressive. SSB I assume? That would be some impressive tropospheric ducting to get that far. I've seen guys do weak signal work on 2m just past the horizon, but never anything that distant.

Moon Bounce station was mostly dependent on the circular polarized beams for 2meters and 440. 100 watts on each band was more than enough.
    I might have to look into that more. What I kept reading was a need for insane stations with massive arrays. If I can do it with 100w and a modest antenna, I may drag my 746Pro outdoors for that.

Space Shuttle was always with just a 5 watt HT and a hand held 3 element beam.
    People routinely work the ISS these days with HTs and various handheld antennas. I've been mildly interesting, but not enough to dig into it. I may try using their digipeater for APRS at some point though.

Today I run 160 meters through 1296. I still love CW and RTTY though I have Digital Equipment as well as old analog.
    I'm only 10-80 and 2m here at the house. I can do 80-70cm in the field, though VHF and UHF are limited to FM (and AM on 6m) .

We run a Modulated CW Practice Net on one 220 repeater (my favorite VHF band since the 70s).

73 - Bob - WA2YDV
    Once I'm able to do CW, I may try it on 2m just to see who is listening.

Chris

National Light Up 2m this Sunday, 1800-2000 local time. Anyone else planning to take part? I'm going to make it a SOTA activation with the J-Pole on one of our local peaks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    National Light Up 2m this Sunday, 1800-2000 local time. Anyone else planning to take part? I'm going to make it a SOTA activation with the J-Pole on one of our local peaks.
    I'm definitely taking part, but haven't decided if I'm going to do a SOTA activation or not. The nearest peaks are not VHF friendly (lots of RFI) and with the time of day the event takes place, and the time of day I have to get up on Monday, I don't think I'll want to travel to a more distant summit.

Instead, I might do a POTA activation on 2m. Most POTA is on HF, but with the increased traffic (hopefully!) on 2m, a POTA activation might work too.

Chris

So it would appear that if you just show up and color between the lines, they will just give those licenses away...Name:  4D78FF6E-41F9-45F0-ABF6-11DD0F45497E.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  66.6 KB
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Congrats @Wheeler!
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    What, is everybody gonna be monitoring 146.52 or something?

Yes, good job wheeler!

User Tag List