Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I don't have one, but I've been tempted to get one for portable use. They get good reviews and I know a number of SOTA/POTA types who use them. I think it'll be great for your use case.

Chris
    Prices aren’t bad on them, either. I’m thinking I can pop it on my desk with a magnetic loop in the attic, and then use it in the truck for “stationary mobile” with a tripod. All of my current portable antennas are QRP rated, so I’m thinking the Yaesu screwdriver antenna might be good for this with a bunch of radials - plus I could use it on the truck for real mobile if I wanted to develop a proper mount.

My only QRO rig is an ICOM IC-718 which I’ve never bonded with and is pretty big for my desk. I’m more of a Yaesu kind of guy.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Speaking of which, what do we think about magnetic loop HF antennas? @Boxy, you have or had one? I am considering one as an attic antenna instead of a multiband trap dipole or some other kind of wire antenna. At some point I’d like to put up my vertical in the back yard on a foldover, but that’s a ways off.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Speaking of which, what do we think about magnetic loop HF antennas? @Boxy, you have or had one? I am considering one as an attic antenna instead of a multiband trap dipole or some other kind of wire antenna. At some point I’d like to put up my vertical in the back yard on a foldover, but that’s a ways off.
    I have a magnetic loop antenna for HF work that I have used in an apartment in doors. Use it for WinLink, CW, and digital modes. Be sure to keep it away from metallic window frames that will raise SWR.

I have been pleased with a Chameleon P loop pack antenna which is not longer in production. Note the bands typically do not go below 40m with loop antennas.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxy View Post
    I have a magnetic loop antenna for HF work that I have used in an apartment in doors. Use it for WinLink, CW, and digital modes. Be sure to keep it away from metallic window frames that will raise SWR.

I have been pleased with a Chameleon P loop pack antenna which is not longer in production. Note the bands typically do not go below 40m with loop antennas.
    Thanks! I know they have many limitations, but with my back and balance issues I don’t want to be walking across the ceiling joists right now to run and then trim a wire - putting a foot through my brand new ceiling would suck hard. I have a utility platform right outside the walk out attic access door that I can use to mount a horizontally oriented remotely tuned magnetic loop up close to the roof peak.

I’m shocked at the prices these days. Everything seems to have doubled, and I’m not sure homebrewing a remotely tuned magnetic loop is practical.
    Ken

I decided I’ll get by with a 20m hamstick and a few radials on a tripod outside the attic access door for now, and I ordered a 6-40 EFLW to string up there when I think I’m able.
    Ken

Site Supporter
    HF tech continues to baffle me... I admit not really putting any effort into it, so, there's that.

Our weather EOC has an HF rig that I'm told was fairly spendy. Last week I helped install a new antenna for it... Rolled out 82.5 feet of copper wire (I forget what gauge, but, about what you'd find inside an appliance, not "cable"), strung it up in a somewhat random "line", connected it through a balun and a few minutes later we were talking to someone in Florida.

Expensive radio attached to a piece of string can talk half way across the country. I might need to look into this HF thing.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    HF tech continues to baffle me... I admit not really putting any effort into it, so, there's that.

Our weather EOC has an HF rig that I'm told was fairly spendy. Last week I helped install a new antenna for it... Rolled out 82.5 feet of copper wire (I forget what gauge, but, about what you'd find inside an appliance, not "cable"), strung it up in a somewhat random "line", connected it through a balun and a few minutes later we were talking to someone in Florida.

Expensive radio attached to a piece of string can talk half way across the country. I might need to look into this HF thing.
    Wait until you try that with low power levels and end up talking to people on the other side of the planet as if they were down the street. My Elecraft KX2 is not much larger than a chunky 2m HT, but puts out 10w on most of the HF bands except 10m (8w). Then there are the micro CW-only rigs...

Chris

A new FT-891 and a MAT-30 tuner arrived today, and I have the EFHW that I’m going to try and string in the attic before surgery next month - I don’t think I’ll bother with my earlier Hamstick idea. I’m trying to decide whether I should do it when the wife isn’t here or not - she will be worried about me being up there, my balance kinda sucks.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Then there are the micro CW-only rigs...Chris
    I've got the MTR-4B, CW only. It weighs about the same as the KX2 and about 1/2 the size of a VHS cassette. Great radio, awesome filters but very few front panel controls.

For instance, there is no volume control. I use R/C hobby 3S batteries to power it.

Recommended.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    I've got the MTR-4B, CW only. It weighs about the same as the KX2 and about 1/2 the size of a VHS cassette. Great radio, awesome filters but very few front panel controls.

For instance, there is no volume control. I use R/C hobby 3S batteries to power it.

Recommended.
    Those are great rigs. My buddy has two, one he bought new from the manufacturer and a 2nd one he just picked up at a hamfest for $100. The 2nd one works perfectly, so the $100 price was a steal.

I'm not a CW op myself, I just can't get interested in it after multiple attempts, but there's no denying those are great rigs. The QCX Minis are also highly regarded (he has one of those in 17m).

I just picked up an Anytone Smart 10m AM/FM mobile rig. It's tiny, not much larger than a deck of cards, and puts out 15w on FM and 8w PEP on AM. It's technically an "export CB" that can be converted to work on 11m, but I'm going to keep it on 10m. Until recently, there was a lot of activity on 10mFM, but the recent solar flare and resulting CME has dampened the high bands considerably. Once things return to their former glory, I expect this little rig will get lots of use. A bonus is that it was a whopping $60.

Chris

User Tag List