Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    Interesting. That kind of defeats his use case for the KH1 as Wayne's a huge proponent of standing-portable ops. But it makes sense people want to use the KH1 like a MTR, particularly with a different antenna than the whip.

I’m also very curious about the dexterity required to stand unsupported and key using the paddles at the base. And write on the “Edgewood” log inside the cover. You’d almost need three hands to be stable.
    But it opens up a whole ‘nother use case - POTA types that are looking for a quick grab and go rig that is completely self contained. The telescoping whip is actually a practical solution for that kind of operator. I’m like that, not doing POTA but just casual operations. When you only have 30 minutes to get to the park, set up, operate, break down and get back anything you can shave is a goodness.

Right now I use my KX3 and a AX1 on a table top tripod for this kind of operation, or my FT-818 with a case mounted compromise antenna. A KH1 is a more elegant solution.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    But it opens up a whole ‘nother use case - POTA types that are looking for a quick grab and go rig that is completely self contained. The telescoping whip is actually a practical solution for that kind of operator. I’m like that, not doing POTA but just casual operations. When you only have 30 minutes to get to the park, set up, operate, break down and get back anything you can shave is a goodness.

Right now I use my KX3 and a AX1 on a table top tripod for this kind of operation, or my FT-818 with a case mounted compromise antenna. A KH1 is a more elegant solution.
    If they ever add SSB with an internal mic and easily access TX button, I'm screwed.

Going out for a SOTA activation tomorrow, but I'm going to be 100% VHF/UHF. I'm testing a mobile rig I traded into that will be my VHF Contest rig if it works well. I'm regularly a top 10 finisher nationwide and first in my state in the Single Operator FM category. A bit more power than my HT's 5w might get me into the top 5. I suspect to get beyond that will require a tower and yagi antenna.

Chris

A KH1 is a more elegant solution.
    Agreed. I ordered one.

Site Supporter
    Agreed. I ordered one.
    Because I'm an enabler, I'm slowly pushing my buddy towards one. He does a lot of SOTA with me and is starting to focus more and more on CW (He's a 20wpm Extra, so it comes naturally). He now owns 2 LNR Mountaintoppers, a QCX-Mini, and has a QMX on order (and the Yaesu 818 he started with). He's not 100% happy with the Mountaintoppers, so if the QMX displaces them he will sell them. I keep pointing out their value on the used market will give him half or more the purchase price of the fully loaded LH1.

I can hear the gears turning in his head...

Chris

Agreed. I ordered one.
    Yeah, me too.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Yeah, me too.
    Word on the street is Wayne N6KR confirmed FT8 firmware coming to the KH1 soon.

Also apparently that paddle return spring is crap. Elecraft is upgrading it before the first batch is delivered.

<Break>

I ordered on the 21st. Hoping for a Christmas miracle so I can take the KH1 with me on an upcoming trip. I see three use cases for the KH1, all having to do with SOTA + (insert activity). I.E., MTB SOTA, trail running SOTA, etc. Also I’m getting to the age where winter SOTA activations become not fun after around 30 minutes on the summit. Quick activations while standing are a no brainer with the KH1. No messing with a throw line or mast.

Site Supporter
    Word on the street is Wayne N6KR confirmed FT8 firmware coming to the KH1 soon.

Also apparently that paddle return spring is crap. Elecraft is upgrading it before the first batch is delivered.

<Break>

I ordered on the 21st. Hoping for a Christmas miracle so I can take the KH1 with me on an upcoming trip. I see three use cases for the KH1, all having to do with SOTA + (insert activity). I.E., MTB SOTA, trail running SOTA, etc. Also I’m getting to the age where winter SOTA activations become not fun after around 30 minutes on the summit. Quick activations while standing are a no brainer with the KH1. No messing with a throw line or mast.
    Saw the FT8 discussion on the Elecraft Groups.io channel. I was surprised at the number of people against it.

Your use cases are similar to mine, though I can manage those with my KX2 and AX2 antenna. The KH1 is a brilliant little radio though and every in-use video I watch makes me want to pick up code again so I can justify buying one.

Kind of related, yesterday I went to a local WMA to take some pictures (was shooting Kodak XX B&W film, the same used in a number of recent movies) and tossed the KX2 and AX2 antenna in my backpack for a fun diversion after finishing the roll. I sat on a bench near a pond, tossed out the radial, affixed the 20m AX2 to the antenna jack, and did some 20m POTA chasing. 100% success rate with 55 or better signal reports. And folks say the whip antennas don't work...

Chris

When I was a boy scout 50+ years ago I earned a Novice license, complete with passing my 5WPM (or was it 7?) test and memorizing the question pool. Never really operated much because we had a shared hand me down set of radios composing a CW shack that belonged to our troop, never owned my own rig. When I was in college my 5 year license expired although before it did I dinked around with the student shack at the school of engineering a bit. I was better at breadboarding, circuit design, soldering the final product in place, doing the fields and waves math, than I was at operating and I think some of that work building some boxes was my only contribution to that club. FCC policy back then was the novice was a one time 5 year ticket and you were expected to move up to GC when your renewal was due, I was never enough of a morse person, or sufficiently motivated to work my way up to 13 WPM and so I dropped out completely.

For just over 45 years as an adult I have told myself I want to get back into this, but the time and energy and motivation have been lacking. I always write it off and say that is something I will jump into when I retire. Now that retirement is looming in the next few years I guess it is time for me to begin to invest a little energy into learning and preparing for the tests and more importantly deciding how I will operate when I do get into it.

All to say I appreciate this thread and the contributors as I do not have near term plans to hang out in any amateur radio forums just yet. Reading here has been insightful.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

There use to be Novice, Tech, General, Advanced, and Extra with code requirements at 5, 13, and 20 wpm. Currently, there are only 3 licenses classes, Extra, General, and Technician and no code requirement. If you can study and take practice exams, you should be able to get a license. You do have to have the motivation to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Saw the FT8 discussion on the Elecraft Groups.io channel. I was surprised at the number of people against it.
    Ridiculous, wasn’t it? If you like it use it, if not ignore it. One guy in particular needs a knee in the nads.

Did you see Wayne’s latest about more features?

“Just added to the latest KH1 field test firmware:

- complete CW text decode in both TX and RX modes (menu settings: OFF, TX ONLY, TX & RX)

- now two message groups (1-3 and 4-6)

- auto repeat, with delay set by MENU:MSG RPT

- direct clear function for all 6 messages

- power-on banner for customization (up to 16 characters)”
    Ken

User Tag List