Page 57 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    I recommend this.

https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com

I used this to pass my Extra Exam.
    Thanks - I haven’t done a damn thing about it.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Good progress!

SOTA is what got me back into amateur radio. I should hit Mountain Goat by next Spring.

Chris
    630 pts here! It's been a good summer so far. Maybe not by spring, but not too far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Thanks - I haven’t done a damn thing about it.
    A word of encouragement for you. If you passed the advanced test before, you have enough theory knowledge for extra. I was an advanced when I became inactive. My stumbling block to extra was the code. When my license came up for renewal, I learned the code requirement was dropped. When I learned that, I decided to earn my extra because it was only a written test. I used the site I shared with you to study for the exam. I gave myself a deadline to my license expiration to upgrade. That site uses questions from the exam question pool and explanations to learn the answers. It uses adaptive learning, which means if I kept getting an answer wrong, I would see that question more often until I kept getting it correct. They said it normally takes 30 hours of study, using their software, to pass the extra exam. They were right.

When I was at the exam, I saw several people take the technician exam. When they passed, the proctor suggested taking the general exam. He said the exams were similar. Of the two who decided to take the general, one passed and one failed.

Anyway, with your background, I think you can do it with a little studying.
    Last edited by DamonL; 06-27-2023 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    A word of encouragement for you. If you passed the advanced test before, you have enough theory knowledge for extra. I was an advanced when I became inactive. My stumbling block to extra was the code. When my license came up for renewal, I learned the code requirement was dropped. When I learned that, I decided to earn my extra because it was only a written test. I used the site I shared with you to study for the exam. I gave myself a deadline to my license expiration to upgrade. That site uses questions from the exam question pool and explanations to learn the answers. It uses adaptive learning, which means if I kept getting an answer wrong, I would see that question more often until I kept getting it correct. They said it normally takes 30 hours of study, using their software, to pass the extra exam. They were right.

When I was at the exam, I saw several people take the technician exam. When they passed, the proctor suggested taking the general exam. He said the exams were similar. Of the two who decided to take the general, one passed and one failed.

Anyway, with your background, I think you can do it with a little studying.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence! I did pass Advanced several times, but that was 20+ years ago. But, as you said I’m sure I can study up and pass Extra, it’s just a matter of determination on my part. I’ll get it done this year!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Is it just me, or has 20 been deader than a doornail lately? I put my FT-818 on my desk tuned to 14.100 to listen for the beacons, nada. And nothing dialing around either.

My HF interest always seems to peak just as propagation turns to shit.
    Ken

Magnetic loops… any fans here? I have a little QRP one that impresses me for quick picnic table portable deployments, but I don’t know how practical they are for general use.
    Ken

Site Supporter
    Magnetic loops… any fans here? I have a little QRP one that impresses me for quick picnic table portable deployments, but I don’t know how practical they are for general use.
    I have no experience with them, but they seem to get the job done based on what I read. The biggest problem I see is the narrow bandwidth and the expense if you buy rather than build. Lots of folks like them as balcony antennas when living in an apartment or backyard antennas for HOAs. The ones people build for outdoor/backyard use tend to be big though with loops 3-4' in diameter.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Is it just me, or has 20 been deader than a doornail lately? I put my FT-818 on my desk tuned to 14.100 to listen for the beacons, nada. And nothing dialing around either.

My HF interest always seems to peak just as propagation turns to shit.
    20 hasn't been bad here. It's the higher bands that are mostly dead. 10m, which was hot as shit until March, has been a lost cause since the weather warmed up.

Chris

20 hasn't been bad here. It's the higher bands that are mostly dead. 10m, which was hot as shit until March, has been a lost cause since the weather warmed up.

Chris
    My timing has probably been bad - I don’t have much chance to play radio.

I have no experience with them, but they seem to get the job done based on what I read. The biggest problem I see is the narrow bandwidth and the expense if you buy rather than build. Lots of folks like them as balcony antennas when living in an apartment or backyard antennas for HOAs. The ones people build for outdoor/backyard use tend to be big though with loops 3-4' in diameter.

Chris
    Some of the commercial ones interest me, especially the ones with remote tuning. My little one needs to be accessible for manual tuning.
    Ken

FT-818

Just picked up a FT-818 w/ CW filter from another SOTA op in MA. SO-239 hookups on the back plus he did a Anderson PP conversion for the power. Planning to get the armor rails and a Windcamp battery.

Finishing a K6ARK EFHW build which should give me 10-15-20-40, resonant without a tuner.

Any other must-have mods for the 818?

<BREAK>

I got the Netherlands and Germany from a SOTA summit on panhandle of Idaho last week on 20m, 8.5 watts. The TX500 continues to impress in all areas.

User Tag List