Page 48 of 63 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Yes, it does have automatic offset - it’s a switchable parameter.

Have you or anyone else tried the freeware programming software? I think it’s called CHIRP.
    I haven't but I've heard of it. I've been trying to force myself to learn to manually program the handset and not hook it up to a computer. But I do find myself pulling out the quick reference card more often than I'd like.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Yes, it does have automatic offset - it’s a switchable parameter.

Have you or anyone else tried the freeware programming software? I think it’s called CHIRP.

Edit - apparently the ICOM programming software is freeware.
    Chirp is ok. IMO, for any serious user RT Systems is well worth the expense.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The pain about the RT software is having to buy a new copy for each different radio.

CHIRP isn't perfect, but its shortcomings are easy to forgive when supporting many different radios for a volunteer group with a $0 budget for software.... . . . Lol.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Now that I think about it, I’ve used CHIRP before - a friend bought a stack of 440 Baofengs and it was a good way of getting them all uniform. I’m used to RSS and CPS, and prefer software instead of front panel programming.

I’ll download the ICOM software, I have a cable on order.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Took down all the needed-to-go radio and weather gear from the roof of the EOC today... Left only the HAM antennas for the EOC radios. Turns out there's a secure spot for the weather station at ground level. We'll lose wind speed/direction but can still get reasonable rain, temp and humidity...

City has agreed to our plans for an improved mounting solution and taller masts for HF and weather, once the roof work is completed.. I'm sure it'll be sub-freezing when we're ready to re-install.. This is the Way.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

IC-T10 is interesting. Anyone know, can tx freqs be unlocked via keys/firmware or do you have to go to the board?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I haven’t seen anything yet - that’s one thing that surprised me about the Yaesu, that MARS/CAP was keyboard entry.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I started out with RT Systems (Chirp wasn't around back then) and have since standardized on Chirp, especially now that I'm using Linux on my desktop (Chirp has a native Linux port).

Chris

Site Supporter

3-Element Arrow Antenna

Would anyone here be interested in a 3-element Arrow antenna for 2m with take-down split boom? I bought one a couple years ago, but have barely used it because it doesn't really fit well with my operating practices. Currently the antenna and mounting bracket would run about $123 shipped, but I'd obviously be asking for less than that.

http://www.arrowantennas.com/arrowii/146-3ii.html

Chris

Site Supporter

RFI Radio-Friendly Safety Vest

Trying to track down a high-vis safety vest (class 2 or 3) that can open at the bottom of both sides (zippered sides would be a bonus but not a must), so that I can belt-carry 1-2 radios and not have the vest cover or interfere with radio adjustments.

Current vest is not split on the sides, so I have to either carry radios in the vest pockets (too heavy, especially if carrying 2 radios, trunked radio is pretty heavy), or belt carry under the vest, which makes it difficult to run wires (earpiece or external mic) or make changes to channel or volume, etc.

Mesh is almost a must.

Trying to avoid a short-waisted vest... if possible.

Currently using this one... It's perfect except for not having any side cuts... TIA!

User Tag List